Chris_tianOff

Technical issues with iRig Pro I/O and Smule sing

_RamKrish1012
On 7/6/2019 at 12:47 AM, ELVIS_USA said:

Wow! U87 for smule wish I had one I use the SHURE BETA 58A TO SING ON and seams to do the trick

U87 ?  Who is using this and who manufactures this ?

Chris_tianOff
11 minutes ago, _RamKrish1012 said:

U87 ?  Who is using this and who manufactures this ?

I am using it and the manufacturer is Neumann. Here is a link to an Australian website: https://www.storedj.com.au/neumann-u87-ai-condenser-microphone-nickel 

• like 1

ELVIS_USA

Check out the shure beta 58A around $160 but worth every penny.

ELVIS_USA

It's my go to vocal mic

_RamKrish1012
15 hours ago, Chris_tianOff said:

I am using it and the manufacturer is Neumann. Here is a link to an Australian website: https://www.storedj.com.au/neumann-u87-ai-condenser-microphone-nickel

Wow Chris, I scanned the entire thread last night and remember reading that you were using the Rode NT1 Mic but did not come across Neumanns U87. Store DJ is where I buy all my equipment but is Smule Kareoke singing worth S 3.5 K even if I can afford it ? Yes if I win the lotto I might get one and gift to some friends here too.

Right now Perhaps a much better quality MIxer with wider capacity would be of greater help mas I have the basic Yamaha MG06x which  is more or less a gimic.

Thanks Chris and I am glad you are having good fun.

Cheers

_RamKrish1012

A friend of mine has half a dozen microphones in his studio and has asked me to go oiver with my iPad and iRig Pro I/O and other gear so we can do a test run. Highly excited except the man is extremely busy all the time.

_RamKrish1012
5 hours ago, ELVIS_USA said:

Check out the shure beta 58A around $160 but worth every penny.

Elvis,

For a budget Mic I am looking at Rode NT2 Condenser mIc  VS Shure Beta 58A Dynamic Mic. Both around the same Price. I will ask the Manager at Store DJ in Sydney to help me test both at his store as at this point of time I have not clue or hands on experience.

Just took a look at Rode web site. It appears that the NT1 and NT2 Models may now be obsolete and Rode NT 2A is the one to go for

Chris_tianOff
Posted (edited)

Hey RamKrish1012,

no worries the mic is used for other stuff than Smule... ūüôā As I have it here I am also using it for Smule but mainly for recording in the Studio. And the sound quality is just smashing. Once you have worked with this thing you never want to use anything else.....

Edited by Chris_tianOff

ELVIS_USA

I have a the audix om2 a Electro-Voice re -15 a audio technique 2010 and they rode NT-1A what I can say is find the mic that fits your voice I need a mic that was strong I need a mic that can handle plosives I need a mic that my worst could be understood in a loud mix and I needed a mic that could give me years of dependability and reliability and after spending today's Saturday and Sunday Guitar Center I'm testing each mic that they had from condenser to ribbon two dynamic I chose this Mike 1. It's a super cardioid has excellent rejection for sounds around you. And they have been frozen shot at even ran over and they still worked plus they've been the industry standard for over 50 years and I will be honest I hated the old sm58 it was Basie it was mushy and had no clarity but the beta 58A With The Changes they made in the coil replacing the flimsy head with a titanium head it can give any any condenser a run for its money check out the YouTube videos on this microphone from durability to reliability even going head-to-head with u-87 on a drum test comparison a my ears could not tell the difference in sound

_RamKrish1012
3 hours ago, Chris_tianOff said:

Hey RamKrish1012,

no worries the mic is used for other stuff than Smule... ūüôā As I have it here I am also using it for Smule but mainly for recording in the Studio. And the sound quality is just smashing. Once you have worked with this thing you never want to use anything else.....

Of Course. If you have driven a Ferrari you never want to drive a Honda again You are a Professional singer and should use quality equipment. Chaops like me are merely bathroom singers who have surfaced a wee bit through Smule. Thanks Buddy.

bungrudi

If i use smule together with garageband, the gain and EQ settings from garageband will get picked up in smule. However reverb, echo and all other fancy effects are not.

Anyone know how to route vocal effects from garageband (or even better, vocalive) into smule?

Chris_tianOff

Hi bungrudi!!
Open Garage band on the mobile device and ensure that handoff is enabled in he settings. Once this is done it normally should pick up both the signal and the effects at least it does for me.

Could you let us know which device you are using and also which iRig? This would be really handy!!

_RamKrish1012

Bungridi &Chris

Mmm I have my new iPad for Smule but have not used Garage Band for Smule at all.

Don't have a clue how to sing on Smule using garage band or even how to get started

Will appreciate some lessons guys

bungrudi

Chris,

im on an ipad 2016 and this is the only apple device i own, so i cant do handoff. Have you tried adding reverb or echo in garageband and hear the result in smule (without handoff)?

I dont use irig (planning to get one though), but im using a condenser plugged in to 3.5 port via splitter.

Ram,

You basically just create empty project in garageband, add a vocal recorder track (which will occupy your audio/mic in), and then play with various setting (gain, tone, EQ)  in the track detail.

start smule after garageband and smule will get the audio routed from garageband (assumption here? Not an ios expert).

_RamKrish1012
3 hours ago, bungrudi said:

Ram,

You basically just create empty project in garageband, add a vocal recorder track (which will occupy your audio/mic in), and then play with various setting (gain, tone, EQ)  in the track detail.

start smule after garageband and smule will get the audio routed from garageband (assumption here? Not an ios expert).

Mmmm I have Garage Band on my Apple Mac Pro but not on my i Pad yet unfortunately

Thanks for your reply. will down load Garage band to my iPad and have a play as you suggest

Cheers

Chris_tianOff
On 8/10/2019 at 7:16 AM, bungrudi said:

Chris,

im on an ipad 2016 and this is the only apple device i own, so i cant do handoff. Have you tried adding reverb or echo in garageband and hear the result in smule (without handoff)?

I dont use irig (planning to get one though), but im using a condenser plugged in to 3.5 port via splitter

Hi bugrundi,
Hi Ram,

Ok in this case it might be because you are using the condenser via the splitter.I just tested it again with an iRig Pro and it works flawlessly. And for the "Handoff" sorry Apple renamed the option and it is now called "Run in Background"and "Use with Music Apps". These two can be found in Settings -> Advanced.

So basically what you do:

0. Download GarageBand (GB) on the mobile device where you want to run Sing with.
1. Open GarageBand on IPad
2. Open empty project and ensure that Run in Background and Use with Music Apps is active in Settings advanced

3. Make sure that your external hardware is properly recognised. 
4. Play around with EQ, compression etc on the Mic track (try to keep is as natural as possible!)
5. Then and ONLY then open Smule Sing
6. When singing anything now the settings from GB will be taken over

As Sing does not support any external hardware or software it is kind of a hit and run thing if it will work or not. I use the iRig Pro I/O and had massive problems at the beginning (see very beginning of this post) but it worked at the end really well and I don't want to miss my external mic anymore.

IMG_1906.png

bungrudi
9 hours ago, Chris_tianOff said:

. And for the "Handoff" sorry Apple renamed the option and it is now called "Run in Background"and "Use with Music Apps". These two can be found in Settings -> Advanced.

4. Play around with EQ, compression etc on the Mic track (try to keep is as natural as possible!)
5. Then and ONLY then open Smule Sing
6. When singing anything now the settings from GB will be taken over

Yep, thats what I do.

EQ, compression, tone setup in GB gets picked up in Smule. However, reverb and echo does not.

Maybe Irig pro being a digital signal source IS the difference, as opposed to my current setup which feed analog through 3.5 port.

Irig pre is a full analog source as far as ipad knows it. Curious if anyone can confirm whether echo and reverb from GB gets picked up in Smule.

_RamKrish1012

Chris,

Mate, Thank you for my early Christmas present. Something I will appreciate for a long time. I am just down loading Garage Band and will follow your precise instructions.

Salute you Brother.