Chris_tianOff

Technical issues with iRig Pro I/O and Smule sing

_RamKrish1012

My iPad 2018 has a audio analogue jack for 3.5mm pin and the usual charging port at the bottom. I don't think the charging port at the bottom is the lightning port. Believe the new iPad Pros have the lightning port and blue tooth connectivity.

The Tascam IXZ connects to the analogue port and accepts the microphones XLR cable connection and the standard 3.5pin from head phones.

Have not purchased the Tascam Yet.

Cheers

JaumeMod

If your iPad bought in 2018 has a 3,5 mm analog jack it the charging port must be Lightning Port.

Tascam is good for you.

_RamKrish1012

When I went to buy the Tascam IXZ, the store assistant cionvinced me that Tascam IXZ was an old gadget and I ended up buying an i Rig PRE. The Good news is I am able to use my dynamic mic and head phone with the iRig Pre and finally the mic works even on my Android Samsung 7. I have not tried it on my iPad yet. been busy.

Keeping fingers crossed.

Not much info on how to set thegain for quality audio and since I am using a Dynamic Mic will not need the +48V Phantom Power.

Ram

JaumeMod

iRig Pre disliked me a lot.  A poor and bad preamp for voice singing. Enough for radiodifusion but poor for music...But if u will comfortable and likes you that’s perfect

_RamKrish1012
13 hours ago, JaumeMod said:

iRig Pre disliked me a lot.  A poor and bad preamp for voice singing. Enough for radiodifusion but poor for music...But if u will comfortable and likes you that’s perfect

JaumeMod,

Appreciate your comment

iRigPre is the only thing that has worked so far. I bought iRig Pro and it did not work. Returned it the very next day. Later I bought the Roland Go Mixer Pro. Sexy product and great video that says works with IOS and Android. Wasted Aud$350. Couple of months later I bought the Yamaha MG06X mixer. Looked like a very very professional gadget But my Samsung refused to recognise the Roland or Yamaha Mixers.

To be honest iRig Pre is my first success in getting the Dynamic Mic work. I am in no position to judge the quality as I have nothing to compare it with. If You say Poor and Bad pre amp for singing, I am listening.

What would be a better option ? I can still try the Tascam IXZ as it costs just 50 bucks. can order it on line

Is there a better option to use for Smule using my iPad 2018 Model ?

Will appreciate your guidance.

Ram

JaumeMod

Well ...  probably testing Tascam that's a good option for you in analog. Better preAmps (Tascam quality experience )and it's an stuff music dedicated. It is made for plug-in a guitar even

For digital solution probably a Scarlett Solo from Focusrite trough Lightning-USB camera adapter  but you will need to set-up some options in Mac before to use in iPad.

opentype

If you’re happy with the iRig PRE, just keep using it. It’s a cheap device, so the AD converter won’t have studio quality of course. But it’s still a useful tool, since it’s so easy to use. What I disliked most about it was the flat sound of the headphone jack. But that is only an annoyance while recording. It doesn’t affect the actual recording. 

• like 1

Follow me on Smule: https://smule.com/opentype 

JaumeMod
16 minutes ago, opentype said:

If you’re happy with the iRig PRE, just keep using it. It’s a cheap device, so the AD converter won’t have studio quality of course. But it’s still a useful tool, since it’s so easy to use. What I disliked most about it was the flat sound of the headphone jack. But that is only an annoyance while recording. It doesn’t affect the actual recording. 

Yeah! Sure Absolutely right if _RamKrish1012  is  comfortable and useful option... 

_RamKrish1012
6 hours ago, opentype said:

For the moment I agree it should suffice. Will wait until you figure out and tell us lot how to get studio quality recording in Smule and using which interface.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Cheers

Ram

_RamKrish1012
On 1/8/2018 at 1:42 AM, Chris_tianOff said:
On 1/8/2018 at 1:23 AM, Tenoreprimo said:

Thanks for the detail but I've decided to send the device back.  The IPre provides plenty of quality above and beyond what a regular headset does and I can live with that.  For instance, this latest one I did came out really well.     I did decide to pic this up as its the upgraded version of the Ipre  http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigprehd/

TenorPrimo, Tats amazing recording quality using iRig Pre. I bought an iRig Pre and have plugged my   ATH-M50x Head Phones and AKG-D5 Vocal Dynamic Microphone to the iRigPre which is plugged to my Samsung 7 Android phone. and I wish I could say I am getting good quality audio. Some duets are Ok sound and at other times I am getting a lot of Grrrrrrr Noise in the recording. How do I optimise the gain level. Are you by any chance using a Condensor Microphone, as I think I can see a Noise shield being used by you.

Cheers

Ram

_RamKrish1012
On 2/13/2019 at 6:48 PM, opentype said:

Open Type, I cannot say I am Happy with the iRig Pro. You are absolutely right about the flat sound in the head phones and this affects the way I sing. I sang the same duet twice. First time with iRigPre and the second time by plugging the head phone straight into the Mob phone and allowing the Phones Built in Microphone to record the audio. The latter sounded awesome. Perhaps I am not optimising the gain adjustment as I am not sure how to set it. For each duet I have to record a bit first play back and listen. Tedious process. There are also times when the recording has a continuous grrrrrrrr noise like an old  Valve Radio. I have not used the iPad as I am unable to buy a suitable stand as it is not available for the new Pads. Apple support team said they could not help.

Looks like I am the unlucky Jonah

JauneMod, I plan to get the Tascam IXZ. I am told this is Basic Model. Would you suggest something better?

You wrote "For digital solution probably a Scarlett Solo from Focusrite trough Lightning-USB camera adapter  but you will need to set-up some options in Mac before to use in iPad."

Is this for Smule recordings. I am no professional just a Joe Blo having some fun singing

Tenoreprimo
43 minutes ago, _RamKrish1012 said:

Ram

Thanks.  I switched to an irig pro IO which is pure digital and sounds better. It also has independent headphone volume control. I do use a condenser  MIC as well.  its and Audio Technica AT4033A  In this track you can hear how clean it is.

https://www.smule.com/recording/anastasia-musical-in-a-crowd-of-thousands-real-instrumental/264509620_2581260533

JaumeMod
3 hours ago, _RamKrish1012 said:

Open Type, I cannot say I am Happy with the iRig Pro. You are absolutely right about the flat sound in the head phones and this affects the way I sing. I sang the same duet twice. First time with iRigPre and the second time by plugging the head phone straight into the Mob phone and allowing the Phones Built in Microphone to record the audio. The latter sounded awesome. Perhaps I am not optimising the gain adjustment as I am not sure how to set it. For each duet I have to record a bit first play back and listen. Tedious process. There are also times when the recording has a continuous grrrrrrrr noise like an old  Valve Radio. I have not used the iPad as I am unable to buy a suitable stand as it is not available for the new Pads. Apple support team said they could not help.

JauneMod, I plan to get the Tascam IXZ. I am told this is Basic Model. Would you suggest something better?

You wrote "For digital solution probably a Scarlett Solo from Focusrite trough Lightning-USB camera adapter  but you will need to set-up some options in Mac before to use in iPad."

Is this for Smule recordings. I am no professional just a Joe Blo having some fun singing

Test the Tascam...cheaper last opportunity 😉

_RamKrish1012
20 hours ago, Tenoreprimo said:

Thanks.  I switched to an irig pro IO which is pure digital and sounds better. It also has independent headphone volume control. I do use a condenser  MIC as well.  its and Audio Technica AT4033A  In this track you can hear how clean it is.

https://www.smule.com/recording/anastasia-musical-in-a-crowd-of-thousands-real-instrumental/264509620_2581260533

Teno Prime Bro, Have to admit this is amazing stereo quality using iRigPro IO with condenser mic Audio Technica AT4033A. Are you using an Apple Mob Phone or an iPad ?

Agree I can buy all the hardware, but have to accept that my vocal chords are 73 years old and worn out and the sensitive mic picks up my breathing considering I am short of breath. I am not a professional singer. Singing on Smule is a passion I have developed since being introduced to Smule in Sept 2017 and I love it.

I do have the iRig Pre now that has its limitations. I will give the Tascam IXZ a shot to see how it works with the iPad. and then I shall invest in a new iRig Pro IO and a condenser mic Audio Technica AT4033A ASAP.

Thank you for taking the time to assist. Much appreciated.

Ram

_RamKrish1012

Test the Tascam...cheaper last opportunity 😉

Absolutely. Just ordered one on line and should arrive in a few days.

Thanks Boss

_RamKrish1012

Tenor Prima

iRig Pro IO Costs Aud$ 250 and Audio Technica AT 4033A Condenser Microphone costs Aud$ 430 that is Aud $680 and I have already spent Aud $ 650 on my new IPad 6th Gen 32 Gig Wifi 2018 Model.

Lot of money for Bathroom singer like me. Let me test the Tascam first.

Can you tell me if you are using an iPhone or an I Pad and if it makes a difference

Cheers

Ram

_RamKrish1012

Hi Every One. I now have tested the Samsung 7, iPad 2018, iRig Pre and Tascam iXZ and have the following observations to share.

1- Head phones plugged directly into Samsung 7 - no mic. Recording done by Built in mic on the phone. Not bad recording quality but there is huge time lag.

2- Plugged head phone straight into iPad No Mic: Very poor quality recording suggeting the built in mic in my iPad is not as good as samsung-7

3- I Rig Pre plugged into iPad and Head Phone and dynamic mic plugged into iRig Pre. Improved recording quality but almost sounds lie mono.

4- Tascam iXZ plugged into i Pad and Head Phone and dynamic mic plugged into TascamiXZ interface. Almost similar quality to iRig Pre but flat sound

5- So iRig Pre and Tascam iXZ both do the job as interface for an external dynamic mic with sort of similar recording quality but one major difference. I Rig Pre has a much larger range for "Gain " as Opposed to TascamiXZ.

6- Now here is the surprise: I connected my Dynamic Mic to my  Yamaha Mixer MG 06X using XLR Cable and then connected the Yamaha Mixer output to the Interafaces Tascam and iRig pre one at a time andthe output is amazing. Much better recording quality. Prefer iRig Pre as it has better gain control. Wish there was a sliding control making it easier to remember the best gain positions. I prefer the iRig Pre as it has a slightly longer cable where as the cable from Tascam iXZ is only about 6 inches resulting in iPad collapsing on the table

Overall I am happy that I can finally use my Dynamic Microphone with my iPad and let my Samsung 7 RIP

Lastly I was busy blogging when Google showed me an advert. for a "RODE SC6L TRRS". it is like a splitter with 2 TRRS inputs and one head phone output and the unit connects to iPhone or iPad Lightning Port. Looks like this is the splitter I was looking for all along but did not find. No batteries required. Has any one tried this Rode splitter before? Look forward to your feed back.

Cheers

Ram

_RamKrish1012

I have plugged my dynamic Mic AKG D5 to Yamaha MG06x Mixer and the Yamaha MG06x to iRig Pre, which connects to my iPad and my ATH M50x Head phones plugs into iRigPre.

It is working and recordings sound a lot better than with iRig Pre alone.

But then the down side is that for each and every song I have to change all the setting in my mixer as well as the gain in iRig Pre.. This problem is due to the fact that upload qualities are so different depending on software and hardware the uploader uses

Ram

opentype
28 minutes ago, _RamKrish1012 said:

But then the down side is that for each and every song I have to change all the setting in my mixer as well as the gain in iRig Pre..

That shouldn’t be necessary. The only thing you have to adjust is the levels in Smule. 

Follow me on Smule: https://smule.com/opentype 

_RamKrish1012

Folks,

I connected my AKG D5 Dynamic Mic and ATH M50X Head phone to Tascam iXZ /Samsung 7 and it works great. Just on a hunch I pulled out my 20 year old Sony F-V420 Mic and plugged it in and Wow the sound was amazing. I am assuming all this is old analogue gadgets

I then used the iRig Pre with iPad. Sound is even better but "highly sensitive" and it picks up breathing sounds so I had to lower the gain. This has to be the enhanced digital quality of iPad + iRig Pre. The sound is a bit flat though compared to Tascam iXz +Samsung 7recording.

I can imagine how much better the sound quality will be with my "iPad + iRig Pro I/O + Condenser Microphone"

The good news is that I can use Samsung with Tascam and iPad with iRig Pre. I have to figure out when to use which equipment.

I am aware that we can use Puff Filters with Condenser Microphones.

What are the options for Dynamic Microphones to cut out air noise from breathing ?

I am aware at the end of the day none of this will improve my voice or singing ?

But it has been good fun, learning it the hard way

Thank you all

Ram

_RamKrish1012

Perhaps next step is to try iRig Pre with a good Condenser Microphone with puff filters.

Ram

_RamKrish1012
On 2/12/2019 at 9:26 PM, JaumeMod said:

If your iPad bought in 2018 has a 3,5 mm analog jack it the charging port must be Lightning Port.

Tascam is good for you.

Jaune,

I am using the Tascam iXZ with my Samsung 7 + ATH M50x head phones and every one I sing with is saying Wow, Fantastic, Super, Wah Wah etc etc etc. Thanks to You .

I am also trying to use the iRIG Pre+ iPad+ATH-M50x head phones - with mixed results. Sometimes fabulous sometimes lousy. I have a gut feel if the original invite was done on IOS the recording is good but if done Using Android it generates a lot of crackling and hissing noise and I am forced to turn down the gain on iRig Pre and the quality of recording drops. It is just now that I realised that there is an iRIG-Pre and an i RIG Pre HD.

Tascam iXZ does not pick up my inhaling noise but i Rig Pre is hypersensitive and I am using a Dynamic Mic not a condenser Mic to get a Puff or Pop Filter.

Thank every one for their support and inputs in this thread

Ram

_RamKrish1012
On 6/1/2018 at 5:16 PM, opentype said:

Good news: The Sing version 6.4.9 now supports digital connections of third-party hardware and this includes the iRig PRO I/O. It is now directly supported for recording and monitoring. 🙌 

Open Type it is now March 2019 and we folks Down Under are still stuck with Smule Version6.1.9 build 1550 release prod. Is Version 6.4.9 only for IoS devices ?

Ram

_RamKrish1012
On 2/16/2019 at 12:24 AM, Tenoreprimo said:

Tenor Primo,

I missed the fact that there is an iRig Pre and an iRig Pre HD which is what you recommended

I bought the Basic iRig Pre which may be the reason recording quality is not the best.

Any way I have decided to buy the iRig PRO IO and Audio Technica AT-4033A and I already have the AudioTechnica ATH-M50X Head Phones. Thank you.

I now need just one more thing. A powerful Voice Like yours :-)

Perhaps in my next life...

Thank you for the support

Cheers Mate

Ram

ELVIS_USA

Wow! U87 for smule wish I had one I use the SHURE BETA 58A TO SING ON and seams to do the trick