Technical issues with iRig Pro I/O and Smule sing

Chris_tianOff

Hi everybody,

I recently purchased an iRig Pro I/O interface to use it with Sing! What I am doing is the following:

- connecting the iRig onto the iPhone 6+

- connecting the mic to the iRig

- enable phantom power

- I see a faint blue light

- launch Smule sing

I see a red light  and a blue light so all ok

- I choose a song I want to sing

- iRig completedly turns off

- Smule sends a pop-up window saying that it is best to sing with headphones (which are connected to the iRig)

The system I am working with:
- iPhone 6+ with IOS 11.0.3 installed

- IRig Pro I/O interface with genuine XLR cable and high end microphone (Neumann UA 87)

- no jailbreaks or likewise.

- iRig runs over battery and not over the power adapter

Tested IRig with another mic on an IPad and it worked flawlessly. So Interface seems to be ok. Interface with mic is working fine on other apps such as GarageBand.

Contacted Smule support to get a standardized email after three days that they do not support third party software. (I am absolutely disgusted about that!)

Any help would be really appreciated.

opentype

Some got their 3rd-party mics/adapters working by launching Garageband first – or the Mic Room app. Both allow the input routing to other apps. Also, if you have an iPhone 6, don’t connect the headphone to the interface – use the phone socket. 

But if that is not helping, I’m afraid the iRig Pro I/O just isn’t compatible with the Sing! app on iOS. 

• thank you! 2

Chris_tianOff
9 hours ago, opentype said:

Some got their 3rd-party mics/adapters working by launching Garageband first – or the Mic Room app. Both allow the input routing to other apps. Also, if you have an iPhone 6, don’t connect the headphone to the interface – use the phone socket. 

But if that is not helping, I’m afraid the iRig Pro I/O just isn’t compatible with the Sing! app on iOS. 

THANK YOU!

After first starting GarageBand for IOS and THEN starting Smule Sing! the Interface works flawlessly and records in a quality which is simply mind-blowing. The only thing which I have to find out now is how to raise the gain signal in GB as the mic is very faint even though gain on iRig is on max.

For the headphone thing. Headphones will only give out the sound if connected straight to the interface but not to the phone itself even though it is a 6+.

I will now test out the other software to see what this Mic Room thing is.

You should postulate for a job in the Smule support as they were a complete disgrace.

Nochmals VIELEN lieben Dank nach Deutschland!

Chris.tian

opentype

I am glad you got it working. I am considering this interface as well (as a successor of my iRig PRE), so I was actually very curious myself if it works. 

Feel free to keep us updated about your experience with this adapter. 

Chris_tianOff

I can absolutely recommend this interface even if not using with Smule. I mainly wanted to hae an interface for Smule Sing as the audio quality of a phone was not enough for me when normally recording with a mic which is worth over 2k EUR. Also the IK Multimedia support is quick an tries to help as much as they any can. I tried the IRig Pro I/O with a Rhode NT1 on an IPad 3rd gen and there it worked without having to start a second app before.

I will now try to get my cold away as quickly as any possible as singing would be absolutely lethal at the moment and then post updates of my experience here.

• 2 months later...
Tenoreprimo

I have the same setup and I cant get smule to pickup the mic through the iPro and I'm considering returning this and going back to the irig pre which sounded fine to me.  I have an 8+

• thank you! 1

opentype
8 hours ago, Tenoreprimo said:

I have the same setup and I cant get smule to pickup the mic through the iPro …

Not even by starting Garageband first as mentioned above?

Chris_tianOff
On 30/12/2017 at 8:39 PM, Tenoreprimo said:

Exactly.  does not work.

For me the following worked:
- close the Smule sing app
- turn off Bluetooth (to make sure it does not connet to any bluetooth audio devices)
- open GarageBand and make sure that you actually get sound from your mic
- enable "Run in Background" in settings (when having a project open)
- open Sing
- ignore the use headphones pop up
- record

This is the way it worked for me on Iphone 6+, Iphone X and iPad Air 2

If you need more help let me know.

• thank you! 1

Tenoreprimo

Thanks for the detail but I've decided to send the device back.  The IPre provides plenty of quality above and beyond what a regular headset does and I can live with that.  For instance, this latest one I did came out really well.     I did decide to pic this up as its the upgraded version of the Ipre  http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigprehd/

• love it! 1

Chris_tianOff

WHAT A VOICE!!!! Wow. I gonna go rehearsing I'd say :-)

One hint. Don't use earbuds but over ear headphones. Might look silly but gives a way better sound again.

Stunning singing again.

DNDHVAC24

I came here ONLY because I have spent countless hours and quite a few dollars trying to use a mic with Smule Sing and an iPhone 7 Plus. I even bought the iRig Mic HD 2. LONG story short: If you have an iPhone (I'm new to Apple so don't know when they stopped the 3.5mm jack) and it DOES NOT have the 3.5mm jack, the ONLY iRig product that will work is the iRig Pre. This is due to the Pre being able to take the TRS connection from your headphones. I plan on researching to find if any other products will work, I read poss. the Tascam (sp), but I cannot say for certain. My set up is the iPhone 7Plus, the iRig Pre, the Shure SM58 mic, and I have also a pair of audio-technical headphones. I have also posted this on Smules FB page, as well as emailed IK Multimedia to let them know that advertising that these products work with iPhones is basically false, as most people have already upgraded or are upgrading to the newer iPhones. WHY would the be selling products, they KNOW won't work with the newer phones? I hope this help ANYONE with this same problem from spending money and time like I did chasing a ghost! 

P.S. Unfortunately the site keeps rejecting the uploads of my pics.

• thank you! 1

opentype
3 minutes ago, DNDHVAC24 said:

… as well as emailed IK Multimedia to let them know that advertising that these products work with iPhones is basically false. 

It isn’t false though. They do work with iPhones in general – in both standard apps (like Garageband) as well as the apps which the makers of the adapters offer themselves. But they cannot force app makers like Smule to support them. 

The iRig PRE always works because it is analog. It acts exactly like a headset. Smule doesn’t need to do anything to support an iRig PRE. It doesn’t even know there is an iRig PRE connected. 
But the analog connection has its limits in regard to quality. 

• like 1

Tenoreprimo

Thanks for the info.  I'll stick with the Pre until this gets resolved.  I think since the majority of users are happy with using the earbuds they wont put that much effort in getting this working with higher quality setups.  That's disappointing because the tech is pretty amazing and this is from someone who is used to mixing his own stuff using an 8 track recorder and Pro tools.  One of the reasons I use Smule is convenience in a small package.

• like 1

Chris_tianOff
24 minutes ago, DNDHVAC24 said:

... to find if any other products will work, I read poss. the Tascam (sp), but I cannot say for certain.

iPhone X and iRig Pro work absolutely fine.

DNDHVAC24

"iRig Mic HD 2 features a headphone output with volume control (ready to use with the new iPhone 7,) enabling users to directly monitor the sound or send the signal to a PA or a mixer for routing flexibility." This is from their site, I have an iPhone 7 it does not work.

opentype
56 minutes ago, DNDHVAC24 said:

"iRig Mic HD 2 features a headphone output with volume control (ready to use with the new iPhone 7,) enabling users to directly monitor the sound or send the signal to a PA or a mixer for routing flexibility." This is from their site, I have an iPhone 7 it does not work.

With which app? 
They don’t say they support any app. They say they support the device (iPhone 7) in general. Lightning-based devices are digital devices and the individual apps need to specifically use the digital input and output channels or it won’t work. 

DNDHVAC24

And again my answer was in regards to his question regarding the SMULE SING app. That’s the topic here. I never said it did not work with other apps. He referenced the Smule Sing app which is the exact same app I was having issues with. Any other apps that it may support are irrelevant to the topic as those apps were not the basis of the original inquiry. 

opentype
59 minutes ago, DNDHVAC24 said:

And again my answer was in regards to his question regarding the SMULE SING app. That’s the topic here. I never said it did not work with other apps. 

And I answered to your claim, that companies like IK Multimedia would make “false advertising”. That became relevant, because you added it the discussion. 

Tenoreprimo
On 1/7/2018 at 8:47 AM, Chris_tianOff said:

For me the following worked:
- close the Smule sing app
- turn off Bluetooth (to make sure it does not connet to any bluetooth audio devices)
- open GarageBand and make sure that you actually get sound from your mic
- enable "Run in Background" in settings (when having a project open)
- open Sing
- ignore the use headphones pop up
- record

This is the way it worked for me on Iphone 6+, Iphone X and iPad Air 2

If you need more help let me know.

I was able to get sound through garage band, however i hear a double vocal in the Sing app.   is there anything in particular you need to do in garage band?

Chris_tianOff
12 hours ago, Tenoreprimo said:

I was able to get sound through garage band, however i hear a double vocal in the Sing app.   is there anything in particular you need to do in garage band?

Ok, let's see. If you have a look at your GarageBand project are there any filters (Compressor, Vocals hall, etc) on or not? Does this also happen with a proper headset? Depending on the mic it might be that the sound is recorded twice (once over the mic and once bouncing from the earbuds). Last but not least. When having launched GarageBand can you see a red line on top of your device saying GarageBand

Tenoreprimo

Thanks. I decided to bag it.  The original pre offers plenty of quality above and beyond an iphone earbud.  I'm satisfied with that.