Smule blog: News: Invites Enhancements

_SingSalon_

Starting May 29th, we’ve introduced a change that aims to streamline your experience and ensure you have access to the most relevant and up-to-date content. We’ve decided to reinstate the 7-day expiration period for all duet invites. We recognize this adjustment was jarring for some folks, and apologize for the delayed communication.

View the full article on the Smule blog

Wishchip

Ridiculous. I'm going to comment on the ONLY point that's worth a sniff, as everything else is just PR padding. 

This enhancement gives you the opportunity to: Receive a significant increase in the joins you get on your latest invites

Are users really complaining that they're getting more joins on old OCs than their recent ones? Here's the thing. I would *always* join the most recent OCs I could find. If SmuleDude opened Bohemian Rhapsody last week, but I also notice he opened it in 2019, I'd join the one from last week. But if the 2019 one is the only one he opened, I'd join that one. Because the harm in that is what, exactly?

I'm sure Smule saw a drastic drop in VIP subscriptions when they removed the 7-day expiration date and now they're finally bringing it back, because they love us and they know how important Smule is to us. Pffft. Or something.

Seriously, we need some Ambassadors or "Influencers" to go to bat for us slobs in gen pop and tell them this update is the worst. I can't imagine why anyone who actively uses the app would like this change. Because as far as I can tell, this is all about money and selling VIP subscriptions.

opentype
4 minutes ago, Wishchip said:

Are users really complaining that they're getting more joins on old OCs than their recent ones?

Not necessarily. I would say the issue is that without the expiration, there is no pressure to join as soon as possible. You can join whenever and the result might be that you never join. I don’t know the statistics on this is, but Smule has all the data. I was certainly more invested in checking OCs and joining quickly back in the old (and now new) system. 

• like 1

Wishchip
23 minutes ago, opentype said:

Not necessarily. I would say the issue is that without the expiration, there is no pressure to join as soon as possible. You can join whenever and the result might be that you never join.

I'll give ya that. But at the same time, I don't see some of the more popular users exactly hurting for joins, know what I mean? I would even argue that users probably gained popularity and more engagements once Smule lifted the limit.

I get the angle that Smule would want to create urgency with limited OC's, but sometimes life gets in the way of joining another version of "Say Something" within 7 days. How this isn't all purely about getting more subscribers is beyond me. 

• like 1

• 2 weeks later...
SeanPaulRogers
On 6/2/2023 at 10:50 AM, Wishchip said:

Ridiculous. I'm going to comment on the ONLY point that's worth a sniff, as everything else is just PR padding. 

This enhancement gives you the opportunity to: Receive a significant increase in the joins you get on your latest invites

Are users really complaining that they're getting more joins on old OCs than their recent ones? Here's the thing. I would *always* join the most recent OCs I could find. If SmuleDude opened Bohemian Rhapsody last week, but I also notice he opened it in 2019, I'd join the one from last week. But if the 2019 one is the only one he opened, I'd join that one. Because the harm in that is what, exactly?

I'm sure Smule saw a drastic drop in VIP subscriptions when they removed the 7-day expiration date and now they're finally bringing it back, because they love us and they know how important Smule is to us. Pffft. Or something.

Seriously, we need some Ambassadors or "Influencers" to go to bat for us slobs in gen pop and tell them this update is the worst. I can't imagine why anyone who actively uses the app would like this change. Because as far as I can tell, this is all about money and selling VIP subscriptions.

I totally agree, to me I don't have an issue with them wanting to make more money and increase memberships. Its

It's that they just dont come out and say it. Just say listen we are going back to the old way because we made more money back then. After all it's a corporation. 

• like 1

ItsMeRKSinger

May be Smule can extend the expiration of invites to be little longer like upto 14 days. This will give enough room for bookmarked songs to join. Also for Smule as a company it solves the purpose of the expiration feature. Rather, if Smule decides to completely remove the expiration like before, then don't expire it at all 🤣

Edited by krismala

• 3 weeks later...
Wishchip
On 6/12/2023 at 11:58 PM, ItsMeRKSinger said:

Maybe Smule can extend the expiration of invites to be little longer like up to 14 days. This will give enough room for bookmarked songs to join.

They're doing exactly that, my dude. Go out and buy a lottery ticket!