Smule updates and their details

My2CentsWorth

I've noticed Smule has frequent updates - none of which is has any significance in terms of using the platform itself. 

Any idea what are they updating?

• like 1

realyquick

Except this is a 10 year old app. You don't have frequent bug fixes in such old apps unless the developers are making meaningless changes. In this case, the changes usually break working parts of the app. Meanwhile,  loads of problems in the app which people have been complaining about, they refuse to fix.

Most apps provide a detailed list of changes. These guys just write "Changes to make singing easier" or something vague like that. But the app gets worse with every change, because this team is making changes for the sake of making changes (they probably have nothing better to do). Lately I've seen menu items disappearing off the screen, which you have to refresh the app to bring back (pull down the app on an iPhone). There's no excuse for this sort of bug in a  mature app which has a high subscription fee.

opentype
1 hour ago, realyquick said:

Most apps provide a detailed list of changes.

Not really. I just checked the latest 10 app updates on my iOS phone. Eight had those generic “bugs and stability” messages, only two actually described the specifics. 

realyquick
7 hours ago, opentype said:

Not really. I just checked the latest 10 app updates on my iOS phone. Eight had those generic “bugs and stability” messages, only two actually described the specifics. 

There's no subscription-based app I have that's a) more than 5 years old; b) issuing new bugfix updates every week, sometimes even twice a week; c) constantly manifesting new bugs in the basic user interface; and d) removing features that most paying subscribers found useful.

There is nothing normal about what's going on with this app. My guess is there's a lot of infighting within the company and the outcome is what we users have to deal with: bizarre changes for no apparent reason, and a degradation in the capabilities and user-friendliness of the app.

My2CentsWorth

If they update so often, then there must be too many bugs to fix,  like an infestation that can't be cleared properly - if ever! 

sdr
2 hours ago, My2CentsWorth said:

If they update so often, then there must be too many bugs to fix,  like an infestation that can't be cleared properly - if ever! 

It is normal to generate many bugs when they make so many drastic changes in the app. I do not update unless the app does not allow me to use it without updating or I feel that some feature that people talk about are not available in my installed version. And ever since the recent mess up, I am not eager to install any new version. 

• like 1

sdr
2 hours ago, realyquick said:

There is nothing normal about what's going on with this app.

I think they have decided to stick with the current screwed up version even after so many user complaints. The best option is to disregard their update notifications and make use of whatever is available. Update once a month or so or when you feel like.