Low sensitivity of the microphone on a iPhone

Go to solution Solved by TheMajesticM,

_Joe_Church_

Hello.

I wonder if someone of you have this problem.

In my iPhone SE 2016 with updated Smule version 10.9.7 (but i think it started after 10.8.7 because the problem started one month ago) I recorded a pair of solos and i noticed that my voice dissapear suddenly if i lower the volume of my voice, i cannot put nuances because if i level down my voice to whisper, for example, it dissapears. I can see the bar level at the left have very little sensitivity. To reach the red zone i have to shout putting the mic very near to my mouth.

I think it could be the noise reduction option of the iphone but i turned off and it's the same.

It's not the microphone because in my old iPaD Mini 2 that i think stays in version 10.8.7 (and fortunately can not be updated) works perfectly.

Fortunately i still have the ipad. In the iPaD Mini 2 i have Smule version 10.8.7 and cannot be updated (fortunately) because the following version needs iOS 13. But it seems very strange and its the reason of my question.

Thank you and sorry if my english is not perfect.

Edited by _Joe_Church_
  • like 1

opentype

You could play around with different audio filters in Smule and see if that makes a difference. Smule also uses a noise gate to filter out background noise. 

By the way: What microphone do you use? Is it an original Apple headset and and how old is it?

• like 1

• Solution
TheMajesticM
7 hours ago, _Joe_Church_ said:

with updated Smule version 10.9.7

Same here but I use an iPad. It’s also hit and miss. The majority of the songs I sang after the update are fine but I have noticed the volume of a couple of my songs had problems and no adjustments helped. I thought it was the song uploads until I saw your post. Yes, it began after the last update. 

Edited by TheMajesticM
  • like 1

_Joe_Church_
On 9/18/2022 at 6:55 AM, opentype said:

You could play around with different audio filters in Smule and see if that makes a difference. Smule also uses a noise gate to filter out background noise. 

By the way: What microphone do you use? Is it an original Apple headset and and how old is it?

Hello my friend, thanks for your answer.

It tried changing the audio filters but it doesn't work. Then i realized the volume recording bar at the left have difficulties to go up and stay in the green zone. If i sing with power it's ok but if i tried to sing more and more soft to put more sweetness in some moment my voice disapears completely.

But the worse is that you don't realize until you preview your recording before saving it. When you are singing you can listen yourself perfectly.

I use now an Energy Sistem Urban 3 earphones with mic (this one, one year old). His mic is one of the best i've found and it's much more sensible than the Apple original earpods that i have. I think that if i use the Apple earpods will be even worse because the mic have less sensitivity than the Energy Sistem.

Edited by _Joe_Church_

_Joe_Church_
On 9/18/2022 at 8:39 AM, TheMajesticM said:

Same here but I use an iPad. It’s also hit and miss. The majority of the songs I sang after the update are fine but I have noticed the volume of a couple of my songs had problems and no adjustments helped. I thought it was the song uploads until I saw your post. Yes, it began after the last update. 

Thank you my friend for your answer. I realized one month ago, i said at the end of a song "around... me", i listen the "around" but not the "me" because i tried to do it progresively less louder to end and my "me" dissapeared. But as i said the worse is that when you are singing you can listen yourself perfectly but when you review it before save it your words disapears. Thank you now i know is a problem with the app update.

Possible solution. If i want to make my voice less and less louder for a descrescendo:

a) First option: I will use my non updated ipaD.

b) Second option: If i use the iPhone with the updated Smule:

1- Use the irig Pro interface and increase the sensitivity for myself in the interface; or

2- Put the mic every time more and more near to my mouth looking the volume recording bar at the left don't dissapear.

(can be difficult).

• love it! 1

• 2 weeks later...
Lou ELVIS

I say use a irig mic pre with a apple connection a xlr mic cable and your choices of mic and call it a day problem solved.

• like 1

_Joe_Church_
On 10/1/2022 at 9:46 PM, Lou ELVIS said:

I say use a irig mic pre with a apple connection a xlr mic cable and your choices of mic and call it a day problem solved.

Thank you my friend for your answer. Yes, it’s one of the solutions. I will try it, I’ve the interface but sometimes is a little burdensome.

Lou ELVIS

If you do decide to go this way look for the original I rig p re that runs on a 9v its the best one to date