Should I say something to Smule?

Go to solution Solved by RockMeSlowly,

Stellaluna

Hereā€™s what happened: I became friends with a person who does some ā€œsoftware relatedā€ work for Smule- Ā not a lot, just enough for Smule to compensate with a free VIP membership each year.Ā 
Anyway, our friendship started going south, for various reasons, and he blocked me a couple days ago. Thatā€™s fine- I probably would have ended up doing the same sooner or later.Ā 
But hereā€™s the issue: Because Smule allows you to have 2 accounts/subscription, I have 1 on my iPhone and one on my iPad. The one on my iPad doesnā€™t have any recordings, and Iā€™ve put a different username with that account as well. Anyway, when I have blocked someone before (on my iPhone), and they have also blocked me- I can still see the blocked personā€™s account if I use my secondary iPad account.Ā 
Iā€™m saying all this to finally come to my point: the person who just blocked me a couple days ago,Ā also blocked my secondary account.Ā Again, I never said anything to him about it, and I believe the only way he knew that I had that account and to block it was because he has access to my account via the work he does for Smule. I am afraid of what else he has access to - my credit card info., address, phone number??Ā 
Should I contact Smule? Or do you think his access to my personal info would be limited somehow?

Thanks for any advice.Ā 

sdr
6 hours ago, Stellaluna said:

Or do you think his access to my personal info would be limited somehow?

Certainly.Ā 

Companies keep such items as credit card numbers encrypted and normally they are not accessible to even employees. So I guess you have no reason to worry.šŸ‘šŸ˜

• like 1

Isa_Bella
8 hours ago, Stellaluna said:

Hereā€™s what happened: I became friends with a person who does some ā€œsoftware relatedā€ work for Smule- Ā not a lot, just enough for Smule to compensate with a free VIP membership each year.Ā 
Anyway, our friendship started going south, for various reasons, and he blocked me a couple days ago. Thatā€™s fine- I probably would have ended up doing the same sooner or later.Ā 
But hereā€™s the issue: Because Smule allows you to have 2 accounts/subscription, I have 1 on my iPhone and one on my iPad. The one on my iPad doesnā€™t have any recordings, and Iā€™ve put a different username with that account as well. Anyway, when I have blocked someone before (on my iPhone), and they have also blocked me- I can still see the blocked personā€™s account if I use my secondary iPad account.Ā 
Iā€™m saying all this to finally come to my point: the person who just blocked me a couple days ago,Ā also blocked my secondary account.Ā Again, I never said anything to him about it, and I believe the only way he knew that I had that account and to block it was because he has access to my account via the work he does for Smule. I am afraid of what else he has access to - my credit card info., address, phone number??Ā 
Should I contact Smule? Or do you think his access to my personal info would be limited somehow?

Thanks for any advice.Ā 

I don't think heĀ  accessed to your other account via his Smule privilege...Ā  I blocked someone before and he created another account to check out on meĀ  and he accidently clicked the love button that's when I knew that he has another account and I blocked the 2nd acct too. Maybe that's what happened to you... you checked out his account and you accidently clicked the love button and saw the notification. hehehe just be careful next time..Ā 

• like 1

Stellaluna

Thatā€™s a really good thought, but I never checked out his account with my other account because I never listened to his stuff. šŸ˜† I still think his Smule privilege us how he knew. I also now think he hacked into my messages as well, because of some of the things he said to me.Ā 

opentype

Itā€™s certainly worth reporting. There may be an issue, there may not be, but only Smule would be able to know for sure after investigating it. From the description you gave, itā€™s plausible, but also could be circumstantial.Ā 

• like 2

realyquick
9 hours ago, Stellaluna said:

I don't think there's a way for even Smule to know that the two accounts are owned by the same person, if they're associated with a different email.

Are both of your accounts VIP? As you don't have any recordings on one of them, I would guess that's not a subscription account. They charge us far too much even for onešŸ˜„

opentype
16 minutes ago, realyquick said:

I don't think there's a way for even Smule to know that the two accounts are owned by the same person, if they're associated with a different email.

They are connected through the IP address and other data like a device ID the app could potentially access. I donā€™t know how exposed such data is to people working for Smule, but the technical possibility to work with this kind of data is usually there.Ā 
In fact, itā€™s actually the same here. I am happy to let people use Sing.Salon completely anonymously, but if a troll or spammer would attack the site with multiple accounts, I would have the technical means to tie those accounts together to block them.Ā 

• like 3

realyquick
25 minutes ago, opentype said:

They are connected through the IP address and other data like a device ID the app could potentially access. I donā€™t know how exposed such data is to people working for Smule, but the technical possibility to work with this kind of data is usually there.Ā 
In fact, itā€™s actually the same here. I am happy to let people use Sing.Salon completely anonymously, but if a troll or spammer would attack the site with multiple accounts, I would have the technical means to tie those accounts together to block them.Ā 

Ah yes, you can tell two accounts are being used by one person if they have the same IP address. But in this case, without knowing which one the second account is, could you find it? For example could you find how many different accounts are using the same IP address? I guess in theory you could, but it's easier when you already suspect two accounts are the same and then verify it by looking at their IP's.

• like 1

opentype
40 minutes ago, realyquick said:

For example could you find how many different accounts are using the same IP address?

Sure, their employee software could make that information directly available without any additional work. Especially for those support employees dealing with bots and spammers, this is crucial information. For example, if someone reports an account as spam, they will open their profile and could instantly see location data, accounts linked to the IP, number of messages sent and similar things. This would be common in this line of work.Ā 

• like 3

Stellaluna

So, that tells me how he figured that out. On occasion, my husband has gone onto my secondary account and hasĀ left comments on recordings Iā€™ve done. I believe this guy has checked out all comments left by men, and when he checked out the comments left by my husband on my secondary account, he put the two together.
Ā 

I think I need to inform Smule. I want a definitive answer as to what other information of mine heā€™s gleaned with his privileges. Home address/my real name/phone number??

• like 1

• Solution
RockMeSlowly
On 3/24/2022 at 5:29 AM, sdr said:

Certainly.Ā 

Companies keep such items as credit card numbers encrypted and normally they are not accessible to even employees. So I guess you have no reason to worry.šŸ‘šŸ˜

I wouldn't bank on that (pun intended). I had a friend who did CS work for a company like this and they had access to everything.Ā 

• like 2

RockMeSlowly
On 3/24/2022 at 10:35 AM, Stellaluna said:

So, that tells me how he figured that out. On occasion, my husband has gone onto my secondary account and hasĀ left comments on recordings Iā€™ve done. I believe this guy has checked out all comments left by men, and when he checked out the comments left by my husband on my secondary account, he put the two together.
Ā 

I think I need to inform Smule. I want a definitive answer as to what other information of mine heā€™s gleaned with his privileges. Home address/my real name/phone number??

Keep in mind he already has everything he has access to. All you'd be doing is provoking someone with your personal information.Ā 

He already blocked you, so I'd let it be unless he becomes antagonistic.Ā Ā 

• like 3

Stellaluna

Youā€™re totally right and Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t contact Smule for that very reason. Also, whoā€™s to say that he doesnā€™t ā€œseeā€ when/if I contacted Smule and would be able to intercept it or at the very least, been able to read it.Ā 
Ā 

Good advice; Iā€™ll just let sleeping dogs lie.Ā 

• like 2