What does everyone think about the new Update?

Go to solution Solved by sdr,

RockMeSlowly
2 hours ago, opentype said:

Smule is being used by millions of people.

🤔 They have millions of people paying for VIP membership and actively using the site? 

With all due respect my friend (and I sincerely mean that), they absolutely do not. 

RockMeSlowly
3 hours ago, opentype said:

The celebrity duets are something that a significant percentage of Smule users—of all ages!—love. That’s why they are there and that’s why they are being promoted in the app

This was the first thing I saw this morning. The account follows nobody, It has fake numbers, mostly fake comments and he's not a celebrity,  He's listed as having 647K recordings. He has two. 

This is what I get almost every day. I don't get well known singers. I get versions of this.

What are you basing your information on, as far as people young and old enjoying accounts like this?  You yourself wrote you don't enjoy 99% of it.

I think we deserve an ad-free experience.  People can easily search for celebrities if they want to. 

Screenshot_20220526-071432~2.png

Edited by RockMeSlowly

RockMeSlowly

Claiming that Smule is made for or made by kids. This is clearly and obviously not true, so why even say it? Why lie in public?

You're insinuating I suggested Smule is made by children? I suggest before you call somebody a liar, you make sure you read what they wrote correctly.

I never wrote that.

I did say they cater to children because I've gotten several Disney ads shown to me, the filters are mostly snapchat/ teenage stuff, and the promoted singers are usually people really young.

I'm paying to use the service. I'm entitled to my opinion and because we differ, it doesn't mean I'm automatically wrong.

I've designed apps and have worked in tech. You don't have to agree with me, but I'm just telling it as I see it. 

• like 1
  • thank you! 1

Isa_Bella

No, but who says that is a relevant factor? Smule is being used by millions of people. You can’t expect it to be tailored to your personal use. The celebrity duets are something that a significant percentage of Smule users—of all ages!—love. That’s why they are there and that’s why they are being promoted in the app. I joined just a few over the years, but I absolutely treasure them. It’s am amazing opportunity and part of the Smule experience. It doesn’t need to be hidden away because someone only wants to have duets which potentially establish a “singing connection”. 

No, please don’t. Problem with rants is that they are rarely constructive and that they are one-sided at best, but often get outright dishonest. Case in point: Claiming that Smule is made for or made by kids. This is clearly and obviously not true, so why even say it? Why lie in public? Just because it somehow makes you feel better in the moment? This is not Facebook or Twitter. This community is meant to have civil discussions which are helpful to everyone involved. False or exaggerated claims are not helpful. While this platform is independent from Smule and criticism of Smule is allowed, it needs to be civil and constructive. 

Same for Smule. The celebrity duets suggested to me are international stars or singers using my native language. There are hundreds of partner artists which I couldn’t join because I don’t even speak the language, but Smule also doesn’t suggest them to me. 

I absolutely 101% agree with you... Very well said Opentype... People who rants a lot but still enjoying the benefits of Smule are worse than kids.. 😒😒

• like 1

RockMeSlowly
1 hour ago, Isa_Bella said:

I absolutely 101% agree with you... Very well said Opentype... People who rants a lot but still enjoying the benefits of Smule are worse than kids.. 😒😒

I pay for the benefits, it's not a free service I'm using. I also supply them with free content. We all do.  We all matter.

What's wrong with me not wanting to click away from pop ups every time I log in and not wanting to scroll past promotional accounts in my notifications? 

That's a perfectly valid request.

I have to admit I'm surprised you both feel the way you do. People have a really hard time finding like-minded singers as it is due to the nature of their search algorithm. This just makes it harder. 

• like 1

RockMeSlowly
2 hours ago, Isa_Bella said:

I also don't rant a lot. I respect everybody's opinion, but I don't buy into broad dismissals of someone's opinions as "wrong" or "a rant" without being taken seriously.

Opentype had written that he's not interested in 99% of the promotional suggestions and would welcome an opt out. The very next post he said people love them, he treasures a few he sang on and accused me of "lying in public". 

I understand that he didn't like my tone, but we're both just customers with the same information. It's okay to have a difference of opinion without crapping on the other person.

Edited by RockMeSlowly
  • like 2

opentype
3 hours ago, RockMeSlowly said:

What's wrong with me not wanting to click away from pop ups every time I log in and not wanting to scroll past promotional accounts in my notifications? 

That's a perfectly valid request.

Stated this way, absolutely nothing wrong with it. 

high five scrubs GIF

• like 1

sdr
14 hours ago, Joshua96813 said:

As far as ranting goes, whether it's constructive criticism or just frustration, I don't have any problem with it as long as the rant is well written and understandable, which @RockMeSlowly usually does.

I certainly agree with this sentiment. Almost everyone is expressing one's frustration with the latest updates through this thread. And mentioning that it is made for kids by kids is a way of suggesting how immature the development team appears now which many here would agree. And I acknowledge the underlying humor in Rockmeslowly's comments.😁

Edited by sdr
  • like 1
  • thank you! 1

Isa_Bella
9 hours ago, RockMeSlowly said:

I also don't rant a lot. I respect everybody's opinion, but I don't buy into broad dismissals of someone's opinions as "wrong" or "a rant" without being taken seriously.

Opentype had written that he's not interested in 99% of the promotional suggestions and would welcome an opt out. The very next post he said people love them, he treasures a few he sang on and accused me of "lying in public". 

I understand that he didn't like my tone, but we're both just customers with the same information. It's okay to have a difference of opinion without crapping on the other person.

I fully understand you but your rants was out of context to this Group Chat... People here can't help you with your current issues only Smule can help you.. I joined this group to get help with my small issues that can be resolved  by other members by  sharing their experience and sharing mine too, but what I can see here are loads and loads of ranting with a mix of racism.. so distressing reading all these.. 😢😢 Not healthy vibes.. 

Isa_Bella
8 minutes ago, sdr said:

I certainly agree with this sentiment. Almost everyone is expressing one's frustration with the latest updates through this thread. And mentioning that it is made for kids by kids is a way of suggesting how immature the development team appears now which many here would agree. And I acknowledge the underlying humor in Rockmeslowly's comments.😁

No.. I beg to disagree... Ranting to this Group Chat with a mix of racism is not acceptable if you have a matured mind.. My Question:  Are you helping the Sing Salon members with your rants? NO.. 😒😒

Isa_Bella
20 minutes ago, sdr said:

I will say it again...   People who rants a lot but still ENJOYING  the benefits of Smule are worse than kids.. 😒😒

Simple Equation:    Not Happy with Smule = Find something that makes you happy

Isa_Bella
10 hours ago, RockMeSlowly said:

I have 6 accounts with Smule all are VIP's...3 of these accounts I upload songs.. I used some PAID backing music for my Song Uploads.. I spent more than an average Smule member.. BUT I DONT RANT ..  I saw the pop ups but I ignored it coz it doesn't interest me not a bit..its a waste of time to think about it.. You said that you are a professional singer.. I guess SMULE is not for professional singers like you coz you have a High Expectations... 80% of members are just an average singers like me, Multicultural (all languages), all ages from 10 years old to 95 years old. "JUST SAYING" 😊😊

realyquick

@RockMeSlowly has lots of intelligent comments which I enjoy reading. I think the input he and others provide on smule is valuable, and they are likely reading this forum. We know they've implemented some of the changes we've suggested. This is the only place on the internet where the features are discussed so it would behoove them to come read what users really think of their changes, and what they want.

As for "rants", many of us who've been using smule happily for years have been frustrated with their changes over the last several months, as they've been messing up the UI and making illogical and senseless changes which nobody asked for, which made a favorite app less appealing and more difficult to use. We absolutely should speak up about it, rather than quietly accept everything they do while we keep paying regular subscription fees.

Jeff Smith is making tens of millions of dollars a year off this app if they have even a fraction of the subscriber base that they boast about. He needs to follow his own advice about listening to paying customers, and earn that money!

• like 3

Joshua96813
16 hours ago, Isa_Bella said:

your rants was out of context to this Group Chat

The title of this thread (group chat) is: "What does everyone think about the new Update?" In line with that, people are expressing their thoughts about it, which is not out of context. Raging about what you perceive as some people making racist comments has nothing to do with the subject line and IMO, is completely out of context.

duojet24

I'm just happy us Android users now have the ability to switch to list view. Sure, it's not as nice as the old profile, but at least now it tells me who's on the other end of my duet. 😆 I wish that carried over into the invites, bookmarks, and favorites, but I'll take the small improvements where I can get 'em!

• like 2

Isa_Bella
10 hours ago, Joshua96813 said:

The title of this thread (group chat) is: "What does everyone think about the new Update?" In line with that, people are expressing their thoughts about it, which is not out of context. Raging about what you perceive as some people making racist comments has nothing to do with the subject line and IMO, is completely out of context.

Well go back and check the previous chat threads.... and check the basis of what I said before you comment... This topic should be close because its not healthy anymore.. People are Ranting nonsense and just wasting peoples time reading it.. 😒😒😒😒😒😒

Joshua96813
6 hours ago, Isa_Bella said:

This topic should be close

At least we can agree on that. This thread was started over three months ago and has perhaps lost its focus. Let's call on our moderator @opentype to close this thread. 🔒

Edited by Joshua96813
link

realyquick

Absolutely not! This is the most useful thread in the forum!

So far, Smule has made just one change we've asked for - grid vs list - and only on the channel view. They haven't done even 5% of the things they promised to do in that blog about upcoming fixes to the layout. This thread is where we discuss the ongoing changes, and whether they are adequate or not.

I propose that whoever has an issue with this thread please stop reading and writing on it. Nobody's forcing you to come here - start your own threads😂

• like 1

Joshua96813
25 minutes ago, realyquick said:

start your own threads

When I offered my suggestion to close this thread, the idea I had in mind was to start new threads focusing more closely on the various issues with the app, rather than a broad-based overall assessment. 🙂

realyquick

This thread provides great context and history, which I would prefer not to lose. No harm in starting new threads as well, if you need to.

Let's look at the Smule blog from March 25, 2022, after there was an outcry by the Smule user community over the completely changed layout trying to ape the TikTok and Snapchat-like pic gallery:

In the coming days, you can expect to see the newer profile layout return without any noticeable changes. We understand that may be frustrating to some of you but please know we’re making tweaks in the background. 

OVER THE NEXT FEW WEEKS, YOU’LL SEE THE FOLLOWING ADJUSTMENTS. KEEP IN MIND, YOU’LL NEED THE LATEST VERSION OF SMULE ON YOUR PHONE TO ENJOY THESE NEW SMULE PROFILE ENHANCEMENTS: 

Added timestamp to performances and invites list

Improved visibility of pinned performances 

Ability to access your joins from the invites tab 

Added labels, identifying duet and group performances

IN THE NEAR FUTURE, YOU CAN ALSO EXPECT TO SEE THE BELOW ADJUSTMENTS:

Bookmarked invites added to the invites tab

Resized Profile cover photo (i.e. all of your custom Profile cover photo images will fit perfectly within the profile layout)

It's more than 2 months later, and how many of these tweaks have been made, which were supposedly to be made in the "coming days"?

Not done 👎

Improved visibility of pinned performances 

Nope 👎 

Nowhere to be seen 👎 

Nope!

No!

Resized Profile cover photo (i.e. all of your custom Profile cover photo images will fit perfectly within the profile layout)

No!!

None of the above is rocket science to code. And heck this was all there in the old layout! All they needed to do was roll back to the old code, as they did in a release a couple weeks back, when a user selects "list style".

Joshua96813
58 minutes ago, realyquick said:

In Smule's Android app Version 9.7.9 Build 2177 (released May 23, 2022), on the Invites tab, the number of joins is shown for each of your invites and tapping on the icon pops up a window from the bottom of the screen showing who's joined (see attached image).

58 minutes ago, realyquick said:

In Smule's Android app Version 9.7.9 Build 2177 (released May 23, 2022), your bookmarked invites are shown on the Invites tab (as well as on the About tab).

1 hour ago, realyquick said:

In Smule's Android app Version 9.7.9 Build 2177 (released May 23, 2022), the labels have been added to the list of songs on the Channel tab, but ONLY if you select the grid style display. The labels are not shown in the list style display.

Screenshot_20220528-014258_Smule.jpg

• like 1

Isa_Bella
2 hours ago, realyquick said:

I propose that whoever has an issue with this thread please stop reading and writing on it. Nobody's forcing you to come here - start your own threads😂

Well I have all the rights to come to any topics in this Group Chat because I am a member and a Paying SUPPORTER.. But the  rantings here are not healthy anymore with a mixture of RACISM....😫😞

realyquick
13 minutes ago, Isa_Bella said:

Well I have all the rights to come to any topics in this Group Chat because I am a member and a Paying SUPPORTER.. But the  rantings here are not healthy anymore with a mixture of RACISM....😫😞

Being a supporter does not allow you to come into a thread and disrupt it with crazy howls about racism.

If you have a comment on new updates, you're welcome to make it. If not, stay out.

• thank you! 1

sdr
3 hours ago, realyquick said:

The timestamps are in an useless format. They are like 5s, 3m, 2h, 5d, 7mo, 5y etc. There will be 1000s of recs with same timestamp... say 5y. Why can't they simply give the universal time or the users perceived local time?  May be like what Whatsapp does? 

• love it! 1

DuetWithAlli
19 hours ago, duojet24 said:

I'm just happy us Android users now have the ability to switch to list view. Sure, it's not as nice as the old profile, but at least now it tells me who's on the other end of my duet. 😆 I wish that carried over into the invites, bookmarks, and favorites, but I'll take the small improvements where I can get 'em!

This is how I feel about it, too. I thanked Smule for adding the list view and suggested they should add it to the other tabs you mentioned. Also, the issue with seeing all joins on an invite has finally been fixed on my end, so I’m about as happy as I’m going to be with the new Smule.

• like 3