Why Smule does not allow deleting personal messages?

sdr

This page bluntly says it in your face.

https://smule.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001410203-Messaging

"You cannot manually delete conversations. But old conversations will automatically expire after a period of time."

I think this is a very uncomfortable arrangement. Should a messaging program prohibit a user from deleting a message that the user typed? I feel this somehow encroaches on the user's privacy. Any takers?🤔😁

sdr
7 minutes ago, opentype said:

I can swipe to delete conversations on iOS.

In Android nothing happens when you swipe a message. A long press copies the message. Wonder what is that for?🤔😁

There is an 'i' with a circle around it at the top right of the window which gives the option 'Delete Chat'. But that is a deception which temporarily hides the chat and pops it up again the moment the other person or yourself type another message! The best you can compare it is to a burial ground where the corpses are still not decomposed and they come up the moment to dig anywhere!

It is human to err and type something inappropriate inadvertently to someone you hardly know on this platform. To prohibit deleting is itself inconsiderate. And to put it so openly like in the page I referred is something I have no words to describe.🙄

• like 1

sdr

This is how Whatsapp app deals with messages.

---

Your Messages. We do not retain your messages in the ordinary course of providing our Services to you. Instead, your messages are stored on your device and not typically stored on our servers. Once your messages are delivered, they are deleted from our servers. The following scenarios describe circumstances where we may store your messages in the course of delivering them:

Undelivered Messages. If a message cannot be delivered immediately (for example, if the recipient is offline), we keep it in encrypted form on our servers for up to 30 days as we try to deliver it. If a message is still undelivered after 30 days, we delete it.

Media Forwarding. When a user forwards media within a message, we store that media temporarily in encrypted form on our servers to aid in more efficient delivery of additional forwards.

We offer end-to-end encryption for our Services. End-to-end encryption means that your messages are encrypted to protect against us and third parties from reading them.

---

Compare this with what smule does. No mention about encryption at all. And they keep messages on their servers for an indefinitely long time. What is the need? Whatsapp allows Clearing the chat anytime you like. Smule deceives you telling you that they deleted the messages.🙄

Edited by sdr

My2CentsWorth
On 12/5/2021 at 12:43 AM, sdr said:

In Android nothing happens when you swipe a message. A long press copies the message. Wonder what is that for?🤔😁

There is an 'i' with a circle around it at the top right of the window which gives the option 'Delete Chat'. But that is a deception which temporarily hides the chat and pops it up again the moment the other person or yourself type another message! The best you can compare it is to a burial ground where the corpses are still not decomposed and they come up the moment to dig anywhere!

It is human to err and type something inappropriate inadvertently to someone you hardly know on this platform. To prohibit deleting is itself inconsiderate. And to put it so openly like in the page I referred is something I have no words to describe.🙄

Always good to either NOT MESSAGE people in private, or if for some reason or other, you have to, then slow down, read twice before pressing that Send button

• like 2

sdr
7 hours ago, My2CentsWorth said:

Always good to either NOT MESSAGE people in private, or if for some reason or other, you have to, then slow down, read twice before pressing that Send button

Apart from sharing recordings through it, personal message is the first point of personal interaction for singers in smule. It was incorporated to avoid going out to other messaging apps like Whatsapp or Fb to converse with each other. 

From the perspective of a messaging module it has several shortcomings. No online status of the other person, no proper timeline of messages and replies, no way to quote a message for replying etc... But people use it just for the initial hello with each other and chats for a few days. Then they would move to other quality apps if they would like to continue to chat further. 

Of all the defects, the absence of deletion of message seems be the worst. And I see that that question was asked in this forum before also.

Check this link:

Edited by sdr

My2CentsWorth
19 hours ago, sdr said:

Apart from sharing recordings through it, personal message is the first point of personal interaction for singers in smule. It was incorporated to avoid going out to other messaging apps like Whatsapp or Fb to converse with each other. 

From the perspective of a messaging module it has several shortcomings. No online status of the other person, no proper timeline of messages and replies, no way to quote a message for replying etc... But people use it just for the initial hello with each other and chats for a few days. Then they would move to other quality apps if they would like to continue to chat further. 

Of all the defects, the absence of deletion of message seems be the worst. And I see that that question was asked in this forum before also.

Check this link:

Well there won't be a need to delete messages if there is nothing secretive or scandalous in there, no? Since smule does purge old messages after a few months anyway.

• like 1
  • love it! 1