Recommended earphones/headphones to be used with irig pre hd

Go to solution Solved by opentype,

elyssia

So I have gone to get myself an irig pre hd and a Shure Beta 58A mic. However, I can't plug in my usual Apple earphones to listen to myself while singing as the earphones do not have the suitable plug-in jack. I tried to use another pair of earphones with a mic attached and it seems that it recorded my voice through that mic instead of through the Shure mic. Any suggestion on how to work around this problem?

elyssia
4 minutes ago, opentype said:

I would suggest the Apple Earbuds. They sound great and they are cheap:
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MNHF2AM/A/earpods-with-35-mm-headphone-plug

The microphone shouldn’t matter. The headphone output on the iRig interface is really just a headphone output. 

Thank you for the fast reply! I like the apple earbuds too ... in fact I have been using one to sing for the past 6 years.

So even if I connect the earbud, the mic attached won't capture my voice? Whatever is recorded will be from the Shure mic connected to the irig?

opentype
5 hours ago, elyssia said:

So even if I connect the earbud, the mic attached won't capture my voice? Whatever is recorded will be from the Shure mic connected to the irig?

Yes.

Of course you need to make sure that Smule detects the right microphone. If if doesn’t, it will switch to the phone’s internal microphone. The usual test is to tap on the microphones with your finger. You can do that with your Shure, the headphone microphone and even the phone itself. Only the “hot” microphone will transmit the tapping loudly. 

elyssia
9 hours ago, opentype said:

Yes.

Of course you need to make sure that Smule detects the right microphone. If if doesn’t, it will switch to the phone’s internal microphone. The usual test is to tap on the microphones with your finger. You can do that with your Shure, the headphone microphone and even the phone itself. Only the “hot” microphone will transmit the tapping loudly. 

I tap on both the mic on my earphones and Shure mic one after another. Both tapping sounds were recorded. Is there a way to ensure that only the Shure mic will be the "hot" mic? 

Isa_Bella
2 hours ago, elyssia said:

I tap on both the mic on my earphones and Shure mic one after another. Both tapping sounds were recorded. Is there a way to ensure that only the Shure mic will be the "hot" mic? 

Just buy a headset without a mic.  These headsets are used for Gaming.

• like 2

elyssia
4 hours ago, Ysabel_aus2019 said:

Just buy a headset without a mic.  These headsets are used for Gaming.

I have one of these and tried it out yesterday. The sound is very scratchy and I really think the best earphones for iphone is still its own brand earbuds 😆

I have gotten myself an apple earbuds with the 3.5mm jack just now and the voice quality seems to have improved significantly. I will wait for the pop filter to arrive some time next week before using the mic fully in smule 

sdr
1 hour ago, elyssia said:

I have one of these and tried it out yesterday. The sound is very scratchy and I really think the best earphones for iphone is still its own brand earbuds 😆

I have gotten myself an apple earbuds with the 3.5mm jack just now and the voice quality seems to have improved significantly. I will wait for the pop filter to arrive some time next week before using the mic fully in smule 

I have seen singers with just ordinary looking headphones singing beautifully and at the same time people with sophisticated gadgets making a mess of even the simplest song. Anyway most recordings are collabs where two or more people are involved. Hence one person alone using a hifi equipment does not guarantee a good collab. If you are doing a solo or joining a select group who also use the same type of equipments, these efforts will be worthwhile.

😁👍

• like 1

Lou ELVIS

I agree with the Apple earbuds but make sure they are wired so it can plug into the iRig mic pre the iRig mic pre has a 1/8 Jack should be perfect for the wired Apple headphones

• like 1

Lou ELVIS

Do not order from places like eBay. GEEK. wish or joyful. Best to get it from an authorized dealer or anyone who carries the authorized product that is not on the web but is your local store I got mine at Walmart do too many counterfeits out there and this way you'll know you got the real thing and not get stuck with a fake for your hard-earned money 🙂 happy singing

Screenshot_20211122-163834.png

• like 1

elyssia
16 hours ago, Lou ELVIS said:

Do not order from places like eBay. GEEK. wish or joyful. Best to get it from an authorized dealer or anyone who carries the authorized product that is not on the web but is your local store I got mine at Walmart do too many counterfeits out there and this way you'll know you got the real thing and not get stuck with a fake for your hard-earned money 🙂 happy singing

Screenshot_20211122-163834.png

Yup I gt mine from an authorised reseller. It's working great now! I also got myself a pop filter 

• 1 month later...
RockMeSlowly
On 11/20/2021 at 9:01 PM, elyssia said:

Have you tried just putting some tape over the mic on your pods so you only get the mic signal? 

Edited by RockMeSlowly

RockMeSlowly
On 11/21/2021 at 5:49 AM, sdr said:

I have seen singers with just ordinary looking headphones singing beautifully and at the same time people with sophisticated gadgets making a mess of even the simplest song. Anyway most recordings are collabs where two or more people are involved. Hence one person alone using a hifi equipment does not guarantee a good collab. If you are doing a solo or joining a select group who also use the same type of equipments, these efforts will be worthwhile.

😁👍

Also, you never know if what you see is what's being used. For instance, my headset is for listening only; I have a studio mic off camera.

• like 1

Lou ELVIS

This is true how do you think the artist that we sing with get the sound from there head phone there must be another microphone mixer to get that sound😂😂😂😂    I think it's been twice that I've actually staying with Apple headphones only the rest of the time this is out of sight and all you see are my shire ht440 headphones or my shure sm58 beta and this out of view one of my setups

20190706_133605~2.jpg

RockMeSlowly
On 1/19/2022 at 5:32 PM, Lou ELVIS said:

This is true how do you think the artist that we sing with get the sound from there head phone there must be another microphone mixer to get that sound😂😂😂😂    I think it's been twice that I've actually staying with Apple headphones only the rest of the time this is out of sight and all you see are my shire ht440 headphones or my shure sm58 beta and this out of view one of my setups

20190706_133605~2.jpg

This is what's going on in front of me when I record my stuff (I couldn't get the ring light in due to brightness). The mic is wired out of my booth and into the same preamp and compressor I use for studio recording.  

I do legit use the wired headphones (without a mic) for listening! I just toggle the volume while singing so my voice outside the headphones blends with the music coming through them. 

2022-01-20-19-40-11-865.jpg

RockMeSlowly
On 1/19/2022 at 5:32 PM, Lou ELVIS said:

20190706_133605~2.jpg

In the very beginning I used the mic on the wired headset and it wasn't terrible, but everyone else was sounding too good to be just on crappy headphones. haha  

I'm still jealous that IOS users get to rewind while recording. I have a one mistake rule I stick to where I start over if I make two of them. It's a drag to get all the way though and wham! 😂

Lou ELVIS

Man my rule is as many takes as it takes to get it right and man if I don't feel it Jack I'll do it again ...and again... and again and again

• like 1

Lou ELVIS

Hey brother you're cheating😂😂😂😂😂 you didn't show the gear you're recording on Rock...lol

Lou ELVIS

Man my rule is as many takes as it takes to get it right and man if I don't feel it Jack I'll do it again ...and again... and again and again

RockMeSlowly
On 1/24/2022 at 8:19 AM, Lou ELVIS said:

I'm the same way. 

RockMeSlowly
On 1/24/2022 at 8:21 AM, Lou ELVIS said:

Hey brother you're cheating😂😂😂😂😂 you didn't show the gear you're recording on Rock...lol

haha Actually, I did! Ok, well almost. I have the mic running through a basic Pro MPA II preamp and then right back into the booth. 

There's a three way splitter in the pic that feeds 3 signals into my phone. The signal from the preamp is in one slot and my headphone L/R signals are fed into the final two female connectors. Since my headphones have no mic, the only mic sound coming through the 3 way connector is from the preamp.

It works great.