Recommended earphones/headphones to be used with irig pre hd

elyssia

Go to solution Solved by [Member open…],

So I have gone to get myself an irig pre hd and a Shure Beta 58A mic. However, I can't plug in my usual Apple earphones to listen to myself while singing as the earphones do not have the suitable plug-in jack. I tried to use another pair of earphones with a mic attached and it seems that it recorded my voice through that mic instead of through the Shure mic. Any suggestion on how to work around this problem?

• Solution

I would suggest the Apple Earbuds. They sound great and they are cheap:
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MNHF2AM/A/earpods-with-35-mm-headphone-plug

The microphone shouldn’t matter. The headphone output on the iRig interface is really just a headphone output. 

Follow me on Smule: https://smule.com/opentype 

4 minutes ago, opentype said:

I would suggest the Apple Earbuds. They sound great and they are cheap:
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MNHF2AM/A/earpods-with-35-mm-headphone-plug

The microphone shouldn’t matter. The headphone output on the iRig interface is really just a headphone output. 

Thank you for the fast reply! I like the apple earbuds too ... in fact I have been using one to sing for the past 6 years.

So even if I connect the earbud, the mic attached won't capture my voice? Whatever is recorded will be from the Shure mic connected to the irig?

5 hours ago, elyssia said:

So even if I connect the earbud, the mic attached won't capture my voice? Whatever is recorded will be from the Shure mic connected to the irig?

Yes.

Of course you need to make sure that Smule detects the right microphone. If if doesn’t, it will switch to the phone’s internal microphone. The usual test is to tap on the microphones with your finger. You can do that with your Shure, the headphone microphone and even the phone itself. Only the “hot” microphone will transmit the tapping loudly. 

Follow me on Smule: https://smule.com/opentype 

9 hours ago, opentype said:

Yes.

Of course you need to make sure that Smule detects the right microphone. If if doesn’t, it will switch to the phone’s internal microphone. The usual test is to tap on the microphones with your finger. You can do that with your Shure, the headphone microphone and even the phone itself. Only the “hot” microphone will transmit the tapping loudly. 

I tap on both the mic on my earphones and Shure mic one after another. Both tapping sounds were recorded. Is there a way to ensure that only the Shure mic will be the "hot" mic? 

2 hours ago, elyssia said:

I tap on both the mic on my earphones and Shure mic one after another. Both tapping sounds were recorded. Is there a way to ensure that only the Shure mic will be the "hot" mic? 

Just buy a headset without a mic.  These headsets are used for Gaming.

• like 1

4 hours ago, Ysabel_aus2019 said:

Just buy a headset without a mic.  These headsets are used for Gaming.

I have one of these and tried it out yesterday. The sound is very scratchy and I really think the best earphones for iphone is still its own brand earbuds 😆

I have gotten myself an apple earbuds with the 3.5mm jack just now and the voice quality seems to have improved significantly. I will wait for the pop filter to arrive some time next week before using the mic fully in smule 

1 hour ago, elyssia said:

I have one of these and tried it out yesterday. The sound is very scratchy and I really think the best earphones for iphone is still its own brand earbuds 😆

I have gotten myself an apple earbuds with the 3.5mm jack just now and the voice quality seems to have improved significantly. I will wait for the pop filter to arrive some time next week before using the mic fully in smule 

I have seen singers with just ordinary looking headphones singing beautifully and at the same time people with sophisticated gadgets making a mess of even the simplest song. Anyway most recordings are collabs where two or more people are involved. Hence one person alone using a hifi equipment does not guarantee a good collab. If you are doing a solo or joining a select group who also use the same type of equipments, these efforts will be worthwhile.

😁👍

I agree with the Apple earbuds but make sure they are wired so it can plug into the iRig mic pre the iRig mic pre has a 1/8 Jack should be perfect for the wired Apple headphones

• like 1

Do not order from places like eBay. GEEK. wish or joyful. Best to get it from an authorized dealer or anyone who carries the authorized product that is not on the web but is your local store I got mine at Walmart do too many counterfeits out there and this way you'll know you got the real thing and not get stuck with a fake for your hard-earned money 🙂 happy singing

Screenshot_20211122-163834.png

• like 1

16 hours ago, Lou ELVIS said:

Do not order from places like eBay. GEEK. wish or joyful. Best to get it from an authorized dealer or anyone who carries the authorized product that is not on the web but is your local store I got mine at Walmart do too many counterfeits out there and this way you'll know you got the real thing and not get stuck with a fake for your hard-earned money 🙂 happy singing

Screenshot_20211122-163834.png

Yup I gt mine from an authorised reseller. It's working great now! I also got myself a pop filter