What to do if my join is not listened to?

sdr

Certainly it's not fun when you join someone and the record is not listened to by that person. Equally bad is the situation where you see couple of plays on the record but do not get a like or comment from the inviter. It feels like the time you spent on joining that person is wasted. 

It is understood that most people who are sensible enough will listen to their joins. What to do with the others who behave in such inconsiderate way by never listening to their joins?

There are several people who are out there to increase their number records. Unfortunately and as expected from bad design of smule the number of records by a person gets inflated with the number joins also. 

To defeat such people, I routinely scan my profile and delete every recording not having a like on it after 10 days. Is there any other way of managing this situation?

opentype
1 hour ago, sdr said:

It is understood that most people who are sensible enough will listen to their joins. What to do with the others who behave in such inconsiderate way by never listening to their joins?

First of all, I wouldn’t call it inconsiderate, as already addressed in the other recent discussion. And unless the view count remains at “1”, you have no way of knowing if the person opening the song has listened and you certainly do not know what their reasons were for not listening or listening and not interacting. So, why judge them as “inconsiderate” when you know nothing about their reasons and motivations? 

But to answer the question … The solution is simple: Just don’t join these people anymore. It’s clearly not a “match”. It’s not necessarily your fault, it’s not necessarily their fault. The interest to sing together and interact on top of that isn’t mutual between you and these people. And of course you can’t force it be mutual. So, I would just move on and focus on the connections on the app that are mutual. 

1 hour ago, sdr said:

To defeat such people, I routinely scan my profile and delete every recording not having a like on it after 10 days. 

I can’t understand this practise at all. What is supposed to be achieved by that? Why should such people be “defeated”? And how are they “defeated” by such a practise. I don’t get it.

I keep songs on my profile page because I like them. I liked singing them and I like keeping them for me and maybe others to enjoy. If someone doesn’t interact with my joins in any way, then it means they don’t really care about the particular join or maybe even most of their joins. So deleting the duet does absolutely nothing. If they don’t care about it, they won’t even notice it’s gone. So again, how is it “defeating” them? And is a duet really worth keeping just because someone hit a button (possibly just to fulfil an expectation) and worth deleting if someone didn’t do that? 

I saw you mentioned twice that people would want to increase their numbers, but that sounds just like an assertion or rationalization. None of my Smule friends care for that number. It’s so meaningless. It’s not a sign of popularity or anything. It depends on how long you use the app, how active you are and so on. So nothing can really be known from it. And I can’t think of any benefit that would come with a high number and therefore I also can’t think of a reason why people would want to “inflate” that number (whatever that means). I just checked just for this post: it says I have 4314 performances. Let’s say you join me and I don’t interact. You then wait until the 10-day period is over, delete the song and my number drops to 4313. So what? What is the point? All you achieved was wasting your time finding these songs and deleting them. 

• like 4

elyssia
6 hours ago, sdr said:

Certainly it's not fun when you join someone and the record is not listened to by that person. Equally bad is the situation where you see couple of plays on the record but do not get a like or comment from the inviter. It feels like the time you spent on joining that person is wasted. 

There are several people who are out there to increase their number records. Unfortunately and as expected from bad design of smule the number of records by a person gets inflated with the number joins also. 

To defeat such people, I routinely scan my profile and delete every recording not having a like on it after 10 days. Is there any other way of managing this situation?

Sometimes the play view might be contributed by other listeners and not necessarily the person who sent out the invite. 

For me, I tried to listen to all my joins but it might take quite some time as I could only listen and comment on a few every day (it is actually very time consuming!). I wouldn't be surprised if singers who get more joins and have a busy schedule won't have the time to listen and comment on their joins. I try to keep that in mind and don't get too offended if they don't listen to my join. 

• like 1

sdr

Let's go with a concrete example. Search for the song "I wanna be your slave".  Go to the recordings section and choose one of the recordings and go to the inviter's profile. Observe the number of joins on the invite. The one I chose has 800+ joins. I browsed through the joins to note that they are all more than a month old and less than 10 have a like (may be from the joiner) and under 20 have a play count greater than 1. It means that almost all of them are never listened to. The older they get the less the chance that they will be listened to in future. They are going to be buried forever.   We have to take it for granted that people join an invite hoping that it would be heard by the inviter. Otherwise they could have opted for a solo. So I consider that not listening to them is an injustice committed by the inviter.    On the other hand, it's not practical for an inviter to listen to so many joins. The only viable option is to close the invite after say, 50 joins.  But that brings us to the next issue. Increasing the number of recordings.    The two indices of how recognised you are on smule are the number of followers you have and the number of recordings in your profile. It's natural that people try to increase these numbers at whatever cost. If 10 joined my invite that number is added to my number of recordings. This is what I mean by inflating the record count. And it is the reason people keep making invites without caring to listen to the joins.    (I couldn't find a way to quote your reply or break this to paragraphs.... sorry)

• love it! 1

elyssia
16 minutes ago, sdr said:

Let's go with a concrete example. Search for the song "I wanna be your slave".  Go to the recordings section and choose one of the recordings and go to the inviter's profile. Observe the number of joins on the invite. The one I chose has 800+ joins. I browsed through the joins to note that they are all more than a month old and less than 10 have a like (may be from the joiner) and under 20 have a play count greater than 1. It means that almost all of them are never listened to. The older they get the less the chance that they will be listened to in future. They are going to be buried forever.   We have to take it for granted that people join an invite hoping that it would be heard by the inviter. Otherwise they could have opted for a solo. So I consider that not listening to them is an injustice committed by the inviter.    On the other hand, it's not practical for an inviter to listen to so many joins. The only viable option is to close the invite after say, 50 joins.  But that brings us to the next issue. Increasing the number of recordings.    The two indices of how recognised you are on smule are the number of followers you have and the number of recordings in your profile. It's natural that people try to increase these numbers at whatever cost. If 10 joined my invite that number is added to my number of recordings. This is what I mean by inflating the record count. And it is the reason people keep making invites without caring to listen to the joins.    (I couldn't find a way to quote your reply or break this to paragraphs.... sorry)

Maybe you can choose another invite that has lesser number of joins? It is common sense that an inviter won't be able to listen to 800 joins. For me, I will struggle to listen to even a total of 50 joins a week, especially if I OC regularly.

• like 1

sdr
3 minutes ago, elyssia said:

Maybe you can choose another invite that has lesser number of joins? It is common sense that an inviter won't be able to listen to 800 joins. For me, I will struggle to listen to even a total of 50 joins a week, especially if I OC regularly.

You are right in that. It is better not to join an invite if there are already about 20 joins and the inviter has not liked or commented on most of them. Otherwise it's just a waste of time. But go ahead if you are singing "Despacito" with Luis Fonsi! Pin It or download and keep it as a treasure.😁 Otherwise not.

• like 1

sdr
42 minutes ago, elyssia said:

Sometimes the play view might be contributed by other listeners and not necessarily the person who sent out the invite. 

For me, I tried to listen to all my joins but it might take quite some time as I could only listen and comment on a few every day (it is actually very time consuming!). I wouldn't be surprised if singers who get more joins and have a busy schedule won't have the time to listen and comment on their joins. I try to keep that in mind and don't get too offended if they don't listen to my join. 

That is usually true. The early joins are listened by singers who want to join the invite. But I feel that it is an intrusion and takes away the inviter's natural "right" to listen to the join first. I think it should be part of the non-existent code of "smule ethics" not to listen to other singers' join before the inviter commented and liked it.

elyssia
1 minute ago, sdr said:

That is usually true. The early joins are listened by singers who want to join the invite. But I feel that it is an intrusion and takes away the inviter's natural "right" to listen to the join first. I think it should be part of the non-existent code of "smule ethics" not to listen to other singers' join before the inviter commented and liked it.

Haha it will be quite difficult to implement this though. But I do admit I am curious who has been listening to my join esp when the inviter himself/herself has not even acknowledged the recording. Sometimes I purposely don't click on my own join and by the next day, the views have increased to more than 10. I also noticed that this only happens when I join certain inviters. I am not sure if the inviter is the one who has been putting the recording on a loop (if that's the case, why can't they just like the song?) or is it someone else who just happens to like my duet with the specific inviter?

Just something I wonder about from time to time 😝

• like 1

sdr
4 minutes ago, elyssia said:

Haha it will be quite difficult to implement this though. But I do admit I am curious who has been listening to my join esp when the inviter himself/herself has not even acknowledged the recording. Sometimes I purposely don't click on my own join and by the next day, the views have increased to more than 10. I also noticed that this only happens when I join certain inviters. I am not sure if the inviter is the one who has been putting the recording on a loop (if that's the case, why can't they just like the song?) or is it someone else who just happens to like my duet with the specific inviter?

Smule only knows! Or may be even they don't keep a track. Nowhere it is revealed who listens to your join. But there is a desperate way out. Blame it on the next joiner! And charge that person also for so many loopings😁

If you touch a recording, smule increases the play count. If you touch it again the play count increases. It is such an unreliable way to find out whether you are really listened or not. 

In recent upgrade there is no way to stop autoplay of next recording. This also contributes to unintended playing of the recording by others.

On the better side, a play count greater than 1 is certainly more comforting even if it's not from the inviter.😁

sdr
7 hours ago, opentype said:

First of all, I wouldn’t call it inconsiderate, as already addressed in the other recent discussion. And unless the view count remains at “1”, you have no way of knowing if the person opening the song has listened and you certainly do not know what their reasons were for not listening or listening and not interacting. So, why judge them as “inconsiderate” when you know nothing about their reasons and motivations? 

But to answer the question … The solution is simple: Just don’t join these people anymore. It’s clearly not a “match”. It’s not necessarily your fault, it’s not necessarily their fault. The interest to sing together and interact on top of that isn’t mutual between you and these people. And of course you can’t force it be mutual. So, I would just move on and focus on the connections on the app that are mutual. 

I can’t understand this practise at all. What is supposed to be achieved by that? Why should such people be “defeated”? And how are they “defeated” by such a practise. I don’t get it.

I keep songs on my profile page because I like them. I liked singing them and I like keeping them for me and maybe others to enjoy. If someone doesn’t interact with my joins in any way, then it means they don’t really care about the particular join or maybe even most of their joins. So deleting the duet does absolutely nothing. If they don’t care about it, they won’t even notice it’s gone. So again, how is it “defeating” them? And is a duet really worth keeping just because someone hit a button (possibly just to fulfil an expectation) and worth deleting if someone didn’t do that? 

I saw you mentioned twice that people would want to increase their numbers, but that sounds just like an assertion or rationalization. None of my Smule friends care for that number. It’s so meaningless. It’s not a sign of popularity or anything. It depends on how long you use the app, how active you are and so on. So nothing can really be known from it. And I can’t think of any benefit that would come with a high number and therefore I also can’t think of a reason why people would want to “inflate” that number (whatever that means). I just checked just for this post: it says I have 4314 performances. Let’s say you join me and I don’t interact. You then wait until the 10-day period is over, delete the song and my number drops to 4313. So what? What is the point? All you achieved was wasting your time finding these songs and deleting them. 

Defeating them means avoid being just a number in their recordings count. Especially when you are not listened to. It's like voting. Deleting one recording might not make the inviter notice it, but if all the joins which are not liked or not commented are deleted, certainly it will make an impact. And smule will become a better place for interaction rather than a show off point which is it currently.

(I learned to quote a message 😁)

• like 1

elyssia
30 minutes ago, sdr said:

Smule only knows! Or may be even they don't keep a track. Nowhere it is revealed who listens to your join. But there is a desperate way out. Blame it on the next joiner! And charge that person also for so many loopings😁

If you touch a recording, smule increases the play count. If you touch it again the play count increases. It is such an unreliable way to find out whether you are really listened or not. 

In recent upgrade there is no way to stop autoplay of next recording. This also contributes to unintended playing of the recording by others.

On the better side, a play count greater than 1 is certainly more comforting even if it's not from the inviter.😁

Agree. Sometimes I prefer that only the inviter and I listen to my join though. When I see a higher number of view counts, I sometimes find it to be an invasion of privacy, if that makes sense. I wish I have the option to make my join private without having to ask the inviter to do it for me.

And smule might want to consider adding on to the view count only if the recording has been played beyond a certain timing so as to avoid counting in the accidental replay.

Edited by elyssia

sdr
6 minutes ago, elyssia said:

Agree. Sometimes I prefer that only the inviter and I listen to my join though. When I see a higher number of view counts, I sometimes find it to be an invasion of privacy, if that makes sense. I wish I have the option to make my join private without having to ask the inviter to do it for me.

And smule might want to consider adding on to the view count only if the recording has been played beyond a certain timing so as to avoid counting in the accidental replay.

Making the join private by the joiner would attract abusive activities. There is a chance that the inviter is harassed without anybody else knowing it. So I think it is a good thing that private joins are not possible.

The second point is certainly a good suggestion. But smule is not known to take any suggestions from their users seriously.

• like 1

sdr
13 minutes ago, elyssia said:

One way to avoid listening by others is to join late. Say, on the 7th day. Or join after some 10 joins on the invite. Hardly anyone looks beyond that many to see how others sing😁

Good hiding 🤪

• like 1

opentype
4 hours ago, sdr said:

And smule will become a better place for interaction rather than a show off point which is it currently.

That simply doesn’t logically follow. If you join and delete the performance later, you erased this activity from the app. That’s it. So, it’s just like it never happened. So the result is identical to you having never joined: there is no effect. And if there is no effect, nothing can get better. 

• like 2

sdr
2 hours ago, opentype said:

That simply doesn’t logically follow. If you join and delete the performance later, you erased this activity from the app. That’s it. So, it’s just like it never happened. So the result is identical to you having never joined: there is no effect. And if there is no effect, nothing can get better. 

You are right. Just mathematically.😁

After you listen to your own join, what is the point of keeping it there? As far as you are concerned you enjoyed the joining effort and also the end result. The only reason to keep it in the profile is for the opener to listen. It is a known fact in smule that only the joiner and the opener listen to the recording. Very seldom anyone else listen to it. So keep it for some time and if there is no response from the opener, deleting will be the better option. You will at least save some storage space for smule 😁

• like 1

Mysoulsingsout
5 hours ago, sdr said:

After you listen to your own join, what is the point of keeping it there? As far as you are concerned you enjoyed the joining effort and also the end result. The only reason to keep it in the profile is for the opener to listen. It is a known fact in smule that only the joiner and the opener listen to the recording. Very seldom anyone else listen to it. So keep it for some time and if there is no response from the opener, deleting will be the better option. You will at least save some storage space for smule 😁

Most people sing for the joy of singing and the healing benefits. They also try and better their singing abilities; keeping record of past recordings is a great way to evaluate your progress!

If you REALLY want someone to listen to your join, try sending it to them via a message share. If they don't listen and you choose to delete the recording, you're not hurting them in any way - as they probably never noticed the join in the first place. Sounds like your priorities on this app are causing you more stress... you're not using it for the right reasons if you're constantly worried about who's listening, who's not listening, and being hurt by follows and unfollows. Time to worry more about YOU than THEM.

• like 1

sdr
17 minutes ago, Mysoulsingsout said:

Most people sing for the joy of singing and the healing benefits. They also try and better their singing abilities; keeping record of past recordings is a great way to evaluate your progress!

If you REALLY want someone to listen to your join, try sending it to them via a message share. If they don't listen and you choose to delete the recording, you're not hurting them in any way - as they probably never noticed the join in the first place. Sounds like your priorities on this app are causing you more stress... you're not using it for the right reasons if you're constantly worried about who's listening, who's not listening, and being hurt by follows and unfollows. Time to worry more about YOU than THEM.

You mixed up my opinions with that of the original questioner. The question about following and unfollowing was not mine. I only suggested a method to solve the issue of joins which are never listened to. My suggestion was to delete them after a period. I still believe that it is the most viable alternative.

Thanks for replying.👍😁

• love it! 1

RockMeSlowly
On 11/8/2021 at 1:20 PM, sdr said:

Sometimes songs get plays, but not by the person who opened the OC. The best thing to do is like it yourself and the person gets another notification.  You can also just ask them if it seems unusual. It can be easy to miss.

My pet peeve is when people just click like and say nothing. THAT is saying I see you and I want you to know it's not worth my time. 😂

• like 1
  • haha 1

RockMeSlowly
21 hours ago, elyssia said:

There are definitely staffs of people in the Philippines who work on Smule to operate their pay for clout structure.  They're always clicking on random stuff. 😜

• like 1

RockMeSlowly
8 hours ago, Mysoulsingsout said:

I don't believe most people sing for the joy of singing and the healing benefits. Some do, but everyone has their own reasons and no one's reason for using the app is "wrong". It's just different.

If someone sings just to sing and heal, why would they open a public OC and ask people to sing with them? It would just make them a selfish narcissist who wants attention if they did that without any.care for the people joining, wouldn't it?   If someone wants to sing only for themselves, solo songs are a thing.

I honestly couldn't give two shits about clout on the app. I'm using it to get my voice back in recording shape and to connect with other artists. If I make an OC public, I'm inviting people into my space. 

Edited by RockMeSlowly
  • like 3
  • love it! 1

My2CentsWorth
14 hours ago, sdr said:

I haven't learnt how to quote just specific part of the text, gotta learn that soon.

I disagree that no one else listens to joins other than the person who opened and the person who joined.  I listen to other ppl's duets, be it those I follow or don't.  There are some really fantastic singers on smule and it is a joy to hear a great blend of voices on a song.  

sdr
1 hour ago, My2CentsWorth said:

I disagree that no one else listens to joins other than the person who opened and the person who joined.

That was a general statement.

I do come across great duets in the invite I am joining. Sometimes when people follow me I visit their profile and check their duets. Sometimes I listen to the pinned recording. 

sdr
1 hour ago, My2CentsWorth said:

I haven't learnt how to quote just specific part of the text, gotta learn that soon.

Press on the Quote button below the message. Accept the Quote 1 msg button displayed and the contents of the message is inserted into the editor. Remove unwanted text and continue

👍😁

I don't know how to have more than one quoted sections in a message. 😔

• like 1

My2CentsWorth
13 minutes ago, sdr said:

Remove unwanted text and continue

👍😁

I don't know how to have more than one quoted sections in a message. 😔

Yay, thanks!