One step even worse again with new profile

OMG Just as you think it can't get any worse, Smule in now displaying ever invite you've ever put out on that tab!.. That's it unless they change back to the old profile (which you still get on non vip profiles) I'm not renewing VIP next time around.. 🤯🤬

Problem is I don't want to see large graphics taking the whole page up. I can no longer see most of my profile picture anymore I used to like songs expiring after a week. Now I get less joins as folk used to see a small % of songs out there to join with now there is no limit around this. Also I can't seem to pin a duet inside an OC anymore either. Sheesh why can't they just do beta versions like most companies do and not test it out on the live production version.

Edited by mj_obr

opentype

Well, you originally talked specifically about showing old OCs now. Before that specific change, that same area would be filled with just new OCs or simply be blank. So, I do not really see the problem. Nothing is really lost. Would you want to look at an empty invite list? Would that be better somehow?

They just added an option to join expired OCs more easily. And having a choice to join older OCs is something that was requested by users for years. 

Sheesh why can't they just do beta versions like most companies do …

They do that as far as it is possible. 

_RamKrish1012
1 hour ago, mj_obr said:

Smule in now displaying every invite you've ever put out on that tab!.. 

I was shocked out of my wits too just a few minutes back. Under Invites I saw 456 invites and I said some database corruption. This means any one can join any invite which could even be 3 years old. It is Ok for others to join but how on earth do we keep saying thank you to every one. we will be thanking people all day every day. This does nit bother me I worry about ladies who get 300 joins for each and every invite. Not only do you have to thank you also have to keep seeing hundreds of joiners and @commentators each day every day

RockMeSlowly

Wow. Just saw this.  So here's where I think this needs help:

1) There are a few OCs that I don't love, but people joined them and I don't want to erase their work. There's no way to remove those OCs from the list & I'd rather people not hear them.

Also, there are certain songs I've opened multiple times. So the list has a ton of redundancy.   It would be nice to have a "hide" option so only the best version is visible.

2) There is now no reason to ever open a song more than once.  If I'm only singing things I've never sung before, eventually all of my favorite songs will be buried on the bottom of the list

3) People have hundreds and sometimes thousands of OCs. The joiner HAS to have a method of searching or filtering the data.

My suggestion is to use the "recommended for you" functionality and include options to sort by genre, favorites of the user who opened the song, and "songs you've both sung".

Thoughts? 

Edited by RockMeSlowly

_RamKrish1012

I checked the profiles of singers mentioned on my profile page. all of them have 500 to 2500 invites to their credit and some of them receive about 50 joins per invite and some as many as 300 joins

I cannot see how this aspect of reviving the dead is useful but I can see this option being abused by spammers or number spinners

• like 1

opentype

Would be interesting to hear what effect it has on the activity of very popular singers. 

Hasn’t changed much for me so far. I’ve only got one or two joins of older OCs and I also only joined two older OCs so far. 

duojet24
9 hours ago, RockMeSlowly said:

1) There are a few OCs that I don't love, but people joined them and I don't want to erase their work. There's no way to remove those OCs from the list & I'd rather people not hear them.

Also, there are certain songs I've opened multiple times. So the list has a ton of redundancy.   It would be nice to have a "hide" option so only the best version is visible.

Hm. You could make the OC private, and then it won't be available to join in your invite list anymore. It will only be visible to you, and you could still invite users to it if you wanted. Other folks' joins on that OC will still show up on their profile, but someone would specifically have to seek out that user to find it. This way, you can control what version you want users to see.

9 hours ago, RockMeSlowly said:

2) There is now no reason to ever open a song more than once.  If I'm only singing things I've never sung before, eventually all of my favorite songs will be buried on the bottom of the list

I hear you on this point because I had the exact same thought initially. Though, I think it just depends how you're using the app, and your point of view. I've opened the same song a few times because I've learned it better, or tried a different approach, and sometimes, just because I like singing the song. 😁

Also, as you gain more followers, you may want some new voices to join you on old favorites. So, you could always re-record and send a public invite, but I totally understand that some folks aren't interested in that.

I personally love that invites don't expire anymore, but I know everyone is different. One potential negative impact I thought of is that since invites are open forever, the sense of urgency to join is pretty much gone, so once the initial invite disappears from someone's bookmarks, they may just forget because they think "Oh, it's no problem, I can join any time."

PS - You joined me once on a Beatles song and rocked it! 🤩 

KDFC

New invites still show the number of days remaining, inexplicably.

If someone joins one of my old invites I'm likely to miss it among all the notifications. As opposed to, the new (less than 1 week old) invites can be checked whenever I have time.

Why are the smule people constantly changing things that work just fine, while ignoring things that are broken? It honestly seems to me as if they're making way too much money and need to find a way to keep their coders busy. Why not just reduce subscription fees instead?

RockMeSlowly
2 hours ago, duojet24 said:

Hm. You could make the OC private, and then it won't be available to join in your invite list anymore. It will only be visible to you, and you could still invite users to it if you wanted. Other folks' joins on that OC will still show up on their profile, but someone would specifically have to seek out that user to find it. This way, you can control what version you want users to see.

I hear you on this point because I had the exact same thought initially. Though, I think it just depends how you're using the app, and your point of view. I've opened the same song a few times because I've learned it better, or tried a different approach, and sometimes, just because I like singing the song. 😁

Also, as you gain more followers, you may want some new voices to join you on old favorites. So, you could always re-record and send a public invite, but I totally understand that some folks aren't interested in that.

I personally love that invites don't expire anymore, but I know everyone is different. One potential negative impact I thought of is that since invites are open forever, the sense of urgency to join is pretty much gone, so once the initial invite disappears from someone's bookmarks, they may just forget because they think "Oh, it's no problem, I can join any time."

Ah! I didn't realize we could make an old OC private. 🤔 Still, it's daunting to think about individually going through each OC one by one.  At least I can knock out a few I know I don't like 

Maybe they should have compromised and let each user select which OCs they want to leave open forever and/or pin the ones they like best.  I do feel apprehensive about adding more opens to an already huge group of songs 

I don't mind them ending the 7 day limit either, but at the very least they need a method of helping joiners find songs they like within an ocean of opens.  

RockMeSlowly

And thank you!!  What's your handle on the app? If I randomly joined you, it means I was really impressed. 

RockMeSlowly
2 hours ago, KDFC said:

New invites still show the number of days remaining, inexplicably.

If someone joins one of my old invites I'm likely to miss it among all the notifications. As opposed to, the new (less than 1 week old) invites can be checked whenever I have time.

Why are the smule people constantly changing things that work just fine, while ignoring things that are broken? It honestly seems to me as if they're making way too much money and need to find a way to keep their coders busy. Why not just reduce subscription fees instead?

My guess is the people who are strategizing the workflow on the app are conditioned to design for teenagers. They seem to always be fighting to make the app into a kid toy, yet they want adult subscription fees.

We all make suggestions, but in the end, the brains behind Smule can't build an intuitive interface & flow if they don't have an inherent understanding of their users.

I base that on the fact that things are often built as if it's taken verbatim from a suggestion.  So if a suggestion doesn't include "Leave the username so we know who we've bookmarked", they don't think of it. lol 

duojet24
38 minutes ago, RockMeSlowly said:

And thank you!!  What's your handle on the app? If I randomly joined you, it means I was really impressed. 

Ah thank you! My Smule profile name is KerryYoshida, and you joined me on "The Night Before."

When I first signed up for Smule, I thought that you had to use your actual name for some reason. Turns out that wasn't the case, but I don't want to change it now since things get a bit wonky when you change your username. LOL! I should actually see about changing my name on here, if that's possible.

RockMeSlowly
32 minutes ago, duojet24 said:

Ah thank you! My Smule profile name is KerryYoshida, and you joined me on "The Night Before."

When I first signed up for Smule, I thought that you had to use your actual name for some reason. Turns out that wasn't the case, but I don't want to change it now since things get a bit wonky when you change your username. LOL! I should actually see about changing my name on here, if that's possible.

I totally remember you!  Your OC was excellent! 

I see a few more of yours I might need to join actually...

duojet24
23 minutes ago, RockMeSlowly said:

I totally remember you!  Your OC was excellent! 

I see a few more of yours I might need to join actually...

And I loved your join!!

I also see some OCs that I'd totally love to join on your page, too. Looks like we're both Beatles and Elvis fans! 🙌🙌

• like 1

RockMeSlowly

And I loved your join!!

I also see some OCs that I'd totally love to join on your page, too. Looks like we're both Beatles and Elvis fans! 🙌🙌

Absolutely! I'm deep into the Beatles work & worked with/ learned from a lot of John's old buddies over the years.  I can never get enough.😁👍

RockMeSlowly

And I loved your join!!

Thanks :) Did were you referring to Valotte or The Night Before? 

duojet24
3 hours ago, RockMeSlowly said:

Thanks :) Did were you referring to Valotte or The Night Before? 

At the time, I hadn't listened to Valotte yet, so I was talking about The Night Before - but now I got to listen to Valotte and All Shook Up, and I loved them!! Super fun - and you've got a great voice! I was super stoked you knew Valotte as no one had joined that OC. 😄 And that's amazing that you got to work with John's buddies! 

Definitely jumping on some of your OCs next time I'm on to sing!

Sorry! We've gone and derailed this thread from the original topic...

• like 1

RockMeSlowly
13 hours ago, duojet24 said:

At the time, I hadn't listened to Valotte yet, so I was talking about The Night Before - but now I got to listen to Valotte and All Shook Up, and I loved them!! Super fun - and you've got a great voice! I was super stoked you knew Valotte as no one had joined that OC. 😄 And that's amazing that you got to work with John's buddies! 

Definitely jumping on some of your OCs next time I'm on to sing!

Sorry! We've gone and derailed this thread from the original topic...

I thought Valotte had one join? Either way, I liked that I could bring your inspiration & hard work back.  You sounded great and nothing is more deflating than a great OC not realized.

duojet24

Oh! Hahaha! You're right - that join was a good friend of mine who totally blind-joined without knowing the song. But I must say, she did a fantastic job for a song that's not exactly intuitive if you don't know it! 🤣

We do that from time to time if we see an OC on each other's page we don't know - we'll just jump on it, try our best, and just save it for fun, and to make the other person laugh. It's fantastic. 😆

I generally don't mind if no one joins, though you're right, it can be kind of disappointing. So I always appreciate when people take the time to sing with me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2021 at 12:21 AM, duojet24 said:

Yeah basically just sing all the songs you know I'm a row and then you never need touch the app again as they will sit there forever lol. Personally I hate everything showing now. Call it an "Ocd"but I like a clean account with everything bookmarked sung and gone after and the same for the invites after they expire. At least give toggle options to allow us to use old profile like basic accounts or give the option not to display previous recordings.

duojet24
6 hours ago, mj_obr said:

Yeah basically just sing all the songs you know I'm a row and then you never need touch the app again as they will sit there forever lol. Personally I hate everything showing now. Call it an "Ocd"but I like a clean account with everything bookmarked sung and gone after and the same for the invites after they expire. At least give toggle options to allow us to use old profile like basic accounts or give the option not to display previous recordings.

Yeah - it'd be great if we had the option to customize our user experiences. I can definitely see why you wouldn't want all your recordings to be showing at once. I think there are maybe two or three things I like about the new profile, but I'd far prefer the old one.

_RamKrish1012

At any one time I might have about 50 bookmarked invites and join or not join depending on my moods on a given night and all that matters to me is who invited me and when does the invite expire, so I do not miss out the opportunity to join and put a smile on a friend's face. I cant see this info in the new look Profile, I don't care how many have hit the love button or how many people have joined an invite, but that seems to be what is MOST Relevant to Smule. I keep wondering what Smule's Untimate Goal is ? To Serve Subscribing Members or to PURGE them ???

cl00bie
On 9/29/2021 at 8:35 AM, _RamKrish1012 said:

how on earth do we keep saying thank you to every one. we will be thanking people all day every day. 

You do like the occasional popular person I sing with and send one thank you to @joiners (or @telheimers or whatever it is in your language).  😉