Latest Smule Update - Echo/Hollow sound in Recordings and Joins

Anna_M_Mathilda

Has anyone else experienced a problem with the sound quality after Smuleā€™s most recent update? My Invites sound like I am singing in a canyon and when listening to other peopleā€™s joins or invites, the same happens.

And no, I have not changed the earpods I have been using since I joined Smule.Ā 
Ā 

opentype

What effects and effect settings have you chosen?

Smule recently changed that a bit by allowing the style to control the audio effects. As a result something like reverb would depend on the style you chose. But this can be overridden.Ā 

Anna_M_Mathilda

@Opentype Thank you - I first noticed it after someone joined my Invite of ā€œIf I Loved Youā€ which I recorded yesterday, Sunday 26 Sept. I used ā€œCenter Stage.ā€My actual OC sounded fine but the personā€™s join sounded echoey or hollow. I even asked him if he was using earbuds/headphones to sing. After he had joined the entire recording sounded hollow.

However, when listening to other Invites from various people, I noticed the same echoey sound again. I even played a song I had recorded many months ago using Super Studio and that too, now sounds hollow, like Iā€™m not using earbuds or headphones.

This problem appeared to start after I pressed ā€œOKā€ to Smuleā€™s latest upgrade, which was also yesterday. Prior to that everything was fine, as far as sound was concerned.

_RamKrish1012
6 hours ago, Anna_M_Mathilda said:

Has anyone else experienced a problem with the sound quality after Smuleā€™s most recent update? My Invites sound like I am singing in a canyon and when listening to other peopleā€™s joins or invites, the same happens.

I am having the same issue. I sound like a Frog inside a Deep well or may be like a Chipmunk especially songs that are high pitched. I just deleted the recording instead of uploading crap

It is getting more and more frustrating; but then we will have to capture a video of our problem on our phone for Smule Help desk to understand what the problem is šŸ˜žĀ šŸ˜žĀ šŸ˜žĀ 

RockMeSlowly
6 hours ago, Anna_M_Mathilda said:

@Opentype Thank you - I first noticed it after someone joined my Invite of ā€œIf I Loved Youā€ which I recorded yesterday, Sunday 26 Sept. I used ā€œCenter Stage.ā€My actual OC sounded fine but the personā€™s join sounded echoey or hollow. I even asked him if he was using earbuds/headphones to sing. After he had joined the entire recording sounded hollow.

However, when listening to other Invites from various people, I noticed the same echoey sound again. I even played a song I had recorded many months ago using Super Studio and that too, now sounds hollow, like Iā€™m not using earbuds or headphones.

This problem appeared to start after I pressed ā€œOKā€ to Smuleā€™s latest upgrade, which was also yesterday. Prior to that everything was fine, as far as sound was concerned.

Anna, I listened to the joins and they sound fine to me. My guess is perhaps the app is having problems working with your earpods when playing stuff back to you.Ā  The recordings seem ok.

Try listening back on normal headphones and see if you get the same problem.

• like 1

_RamKrish1012
11 hours ago, opentype said:

What effects and effect settings have you chosen?

Smule recently changed that a bit by allowing the style to control the audio effects. As a result something like reverb would depend on the style you chose. But this can be overridden.Ā 

Perfect explanation. When invites use Super studio the recording is fine even though I change the reverb settings. But there are so many different video options that fiends use and my recordings sound as if I am inside a deep well even if I don't alter the original settings used in the invite. I had to delete four recordings tonight.

What is the need for Smule to allow Members create so many Options for Videos. there was a stage when we had just studio and super studio. Now there are too many choices

I got scolded by one lady for sounding like a Chipmunk

Anna_M_Mathilda
10 hours ago, RockMeSlowly said:

Anna, I listened to the joins and they sound fine to me. My guess is perhaps the app is having problems working with your earpods when playing stuff back to you.Ā  The recordings seem ok.

Try listening back on normal headphones and see if you get the same problem.

Thank you. šŸ‘ I think it may be my earbuds, which are around 3 years old. When I jiggle the jack the sound becomes normal for a second or two. I have just listened with my other earbuds from my i-Pod and the songs sound lovely again. Unfortunately, these earbuds donā€™t have a mike, so will have to go and buy a new set.Ā 

• like 1

_RamKrish1012
9 hours ago, Anna_M_Mathilda said:

Thank you. šŸ‘ I think it may be my earbuds, which are around 3 years old. When I jiggle the jack the sound becomes normal for a second or two. I have just listened with my other earbuds from my i-Pod and the songs sound lovely again. Unfortunately, these earbuds donā€™t have a mike, so will have to go and buy a new set.Ā 

Glad Your Problem is solved. I have not found a reason yet for sounding like a frog, unless my hearing was bad all along and has come good now suddenlyĀ šŸ¤£

• like 1

RockMeSlowly
12 hours ago, _RamKrish1012 said:

Glad Your Problem is solved. I have not found a reason yet for sounding like a frog, unless my hearing was bad all along and has come good now suddenlyĀ šŸ¤£

Do you sing with a Bluetooth device or something else?Ā  Can you provide a link to an example?

_RamKrish1012
14 hours ago, RockMeSlowly said:

Do you sing with a Bluetooth device or something else?Ā  Can you provide a link to an example?

Every recording that sounded bad I deleted did not want to upload and harass my Smule singing partners. Often have problems when original invite has very low settings for reverb and I use 75/60 to suit my mic and iRig Pro

_RamKrish1012
1 hour ago, RockMeSlowly said:

Is the mic connected through Bluetooth & is it every join or just some?Ā  Ā How do your own opens sound?

No Bluetooth, My. Mic is connected to my iRigPro

Not every join only some when then original invite is some new crazy video that does not allow me to change reverb characteristics. If I do that is when it sounds awful.

My Opens sound Ok .I am very conservative and prefer to sue Super Studio or Classic+ SuperStudio or Snowflakes for VOC

Ā 

_RamKrish1012

I am also thinking if the original invites are done suing an I Phone my joins using my iPad are spot on. wonder ifĀ  all these new updates have exacerbated the compatibility between IoS and Androids

RockMeSlowly
2 hours ago, _RamKrish1012 said:

No Bluetooth, My. Mic is connected to my iRigPro

Not every join only some when then original invite is some new crazy video that does not allow me to change reverb characteristics. If I do that is when it sounds awful.

My Opens sound Ok .I am very conservative and prefer to sue Super Studio or Classic+ SuperStudio or Snowflakes for VOC

Ā 

I'm confused.Ā  Are there styles that don't allow you to override the effects?Ā  I do that a lot when someone's effect isn't a good fit for my mic.

RockMeSlowly
2 hours ago, _RamKrish1012 said:

I am also thinking if the original invites are done suing an I Phone my joins using my iPad are spot on. wonder ifĀ  all these new updates have exacerbated the compatibility between IoS and Androids

I'd say probably not, unless it's a unique combination of the OC user's specific device and something within your setup clashing with the style's voice effect.Ā  I say that because I use an Android and regularly join iPhone opens (and visa versa).Ā  Maybe the vocal compression they use post-save is messing with your voice.

I assume this to be true, but just to ask it anyway... they sound perfect before you save?Ā Ā 

_RamKrish1012
20 hours ago, RockMeSlowly said:

I'm confused.Ā  Are there styles that don't allow you to override the effects?Ā  I do that a lot when someone's effect isn't a good fit for my mic.

I am just as confused.

Most invites have the standard Reverb settings of 50/50 settings and I can happily modify it to 75/60 that suits my dynamic mic and the final recording is fine before upload and even after upload and Smule has processed it.

I definitely have a Problem when the original invite settings is say 30/25. If I don change the settings recording is lousy and if i raise the reverb settings levels it is even worse and becomes very echoey

Never mind this is only a pass time hobby will have to just grin and bear it

Ā 

RockMeSlowly
10 hours ago, _RamKrish1012 said:

I am just as confused.

Most invites have the standard Reverb settings of 50/50 settings and I can happily modify it to 75/60 that suits my dynamic mic and the final recording is fine before upload and even after upload and Smule has processed it.

I definitely have a Problem when the original invite settings is say 30/25. If I don change the settings recording is lousy and if i raise the reverb settings levels it is even worse and becomes very echoey

Never mind this is only a pass time hobby will have to just grin and bear it

Ā 

There's a way to override the effects and choose your own! Make sure you have it enabled in your settings and then follow the screenshot below.Ā 

The "change your vocal effect"ļæ¼ icon will override the existing effects and give you full control.2021-09-28-20-57-29.thumb.jpg.289ba398ef2117e0bbbc8e59863deed0.jpg

ļæ¼

• like 1

_RamKrish1012

I am aware of this. An invite was in Classic+super studio and I changed it to something else and the lady told me I sounded like a ChipmunkĀ šŸ˜±. Never mind I am slowly weaning myself off Smule and writing a Book to keep myself occupied