New Head Ache on Smule

_RamKrish1012

I am not sure if this is a Global Problem or just limited to India

Say you find a song that you want to Sing using the search facility and record your part and send invites to all your followers and the next seven days many join and jive and we are all happy. A few days after the invite expires, I notice the entire recording with all joins has been deleted.

Message from Smule Reads :

This Recording has been removed because of third party claimed copy right backing track. Tap here for more information. Imagine some ones invite receiving 200 Joins and all are deleted.

Initial reaction was to assume that Music houses have made the copy right claim. But then this is not so as there are many Uploads for the same Song still available. I was puzzled and had to think hard as to what on earth was going on.

I now realise that the copyright infringement is about one Smule uploader Blindly copying some one else's uploads and uploading them using their names. I can now understand with 50 million members and a few thousand Song Uploaders, there is no way Smule can pick these culprits until it gets uploaded and the original uploader says "Hey my work has been copied by so and so" and Smule investigates and if found to be True they delete all recordings for that upload

The sad thing about it is two uploaders fight over copy rights and we the subscribing members pay the penalty. It takes about 30 minutes to sing and record and upload ma song and 200 joins means 100 Man Hours of Subscribers time scrapped for no fault of the members.

Is this a Global Problem and is there a solution to stop this from Happening ?

Ram

opentype
4 minutes ago, _RamKrish1012 said:

I now realise that the copyright infringement is about one Smule uploader Blindly copying some one else's uploads and uploading them using their names.

Where did you get that information? Most community uploads are a copyright infringement, so it doesn’t really matter who uploaded it first. If you upload an infringing song and I “steal” it from you, you can’t really get me to stop that, since you have to rights to begin with. 

But there are certainly specific karaoke tracks which are licensed by the original copyright owner. Typically those are the songs you can buy as karaoke tracks. If you upload a song like that, it might get taken down by the company making those karaoke tracks – independent from other recordings of the same song. 

4 minutes ago, _RamKrish1012 said:

is there a solution to stop this from Happening ?

Other than only singing official Smule uploads, no. 
As always, if you like a performance, make sure to download it so you still have it if it gets deactivated. 

• like 1

_RamKrish1012
16 hours ago, opentype said:

Where did you get that information? 

From an uploader who wrote the lyrics in English for a Hindi song and has a few thousand Happy Users, who claims all her hard work gets copied within minutes and uploaded by upstarts and when she complains to Smule, Smule deletes all recordings. Boss how does any one Down Load 200 Joins ? The Only Down Loader I use is the one you have provided on Sing Salon. Not sure if you can play a down load after it has been deleted by Smule as I assumed it still plays on Smule . Tell me I am wrong. Also how do we upload Audio Only ? ( sorry if it is a Dumb Question)

16 hours ago, opentype said:

Other than only singing official Smule uploads, no. 
Not sure if there are any Smule Official Uploads for Indian Bollywood songs Boss. How do I find out ?

_RamKrish1012

Boss. You Say "Most community uploads are a copyright infringement, so it doesn’t really matter who uploaded it first. If you upload an infringing song and I “steal” it from you, you can’t really get me to stop that, since you have to rights to begin with. 

I agree with you. Then the question arises as to why Smule takes action based on complaints from Copy Cats who do not hold any copy rights in the first place to the song. Once an Upload is made available to members by Smule we have to assume they are legal and sing our blues away and not have recordings deleted