A whooosh sound in recordings after saving it

PJ_sings

I hear a whoosh sound in portions of audio after saving it. 

When I record using a cheap earphone which captures ambient noise etc etc, this kind whoosh doesnot happen. But then the ear phone pick quality itself is quite average.

Of late, I use a professional mic and connect to a mixer and apply a noise filter to cut out noises then route the output to Smule. 

The noise probably isn't entirely eliminated to zero, by my noise filter but it sounds way better. The raw post processed audio sounds great when I listen on laptop.

But when it goes into Smule, the audio quality is great only for 70-80% of the song.

The portions where I sing lower volume or low pitch portions, i get a whoosh sound. 

I probably feel that at these levels the audio signal and noise floor are quite close and that Smule boosts the noise frequencies and it makes it sound like a sudden wind noise when u open the window during a storm.

It's very annoying as the voice is totally gone and we hear only this noise dominating.

wondering if there is a signal to noise ratio thing on Smule side that's causing it 

or if I shd be doing anything else on my side to work around

• 3 weeks later...
opentype
On 5/23/2021 at 3:09 AM, PJ_sings said:

The portions where I sing lower volume or low pitch portions, i get a whoosh sound. 

I probably feel that at these levels the audio signal and noise floor are quite close and that Smule boosts the noise frequencies …

Smule does indeed apply typical audio effects like compression and gate in the background to improve the audio quality and those effects have exactly the side effects you describe. While those effects are meant to apply to the voice, for soft sounds and the attack and decay phase of a sung note, the effects can also boost the background noice, creating this whoosh sound. 

There is no option to turn these things on or off in Smule, apart from picking presets like SuperStudio, Polish and so on. The best option is to make sure to the gain of the input signal is right. You could also experiment with choosing different audio presets in Smule. 

• like 1