Stalking or Admiring

TheMajesticM

This topic keeps coming up, and it seems so many, too many, users have experienced some type of stalking episode on Smule. For the record, I am not doubting anyone but users need to differentiate between stalking and being a fan. If someone is simply checking out your account on occasion it may be because they genuinely admire your art/singing. 

I want to share something I saw in a Live Jam awhile back. A man and woman were on the mic chatting. I was in the audience. Another woman enters, and the man greets her with a big nice hello. She replies hello back to him in the comments. She exits, and I was still in the audience, and the man told the woman on the mic, “She only enters the jams to stalk me.” How two-faced can one be. Had she been a stalker shouldn’t he have had her blocked and what’s with the nice greeting to her? I felt he was pretending to be some kind of ladies man to impress the guests.  I left the live jam disgusted at the deceit and the slander in the Jam. Not only do these types hurt the users they slander behind their backs, they hurt the credibility of users who have actually been stalked, and these actions hurt the app. 

Have I ever watched users I don’t follow? Yes, and I don’t consider it stalking. If so, the APEX groups could have me banned. 😂 I call it admiration. I truly love listening to that super talented choir of users. Just throwing the specific group out here as an example. 

Stalking is criminal! If a user sings with you, starts messaging you for your real identity, or where you live, then you may have a stalker on your hands. If they find your location and contact you without your consent, you do have a stalker on your hand, and you need to seek help ASAP.

The point of my post is users need to learn the definition of stalking. I had to experience it, and it’s not anything I would want anyone to experience. Stay safe and always remember you owe no one anything on this app or any social media app for that matter.

Edited by TheMajesticM
Typo

DuetWithAlli

I have some thoughts on this. I’m going to come back to it. Ok, here goes.

It’s possible that this woman gives him a hard time about other female singing partners. Occasionally, men complain about my obvious favoritism of a particular male singing partner, and I’ve also had men tell me that women complained about me. So it could just be that his frustration is bubbling over.

But I agree with your assessment, that it seems he is trying to impress other women with his attitude. It is rude of him to talk about her like that after she left the room. Sometimes I wonder if there is a lot of gossiping going on between people who are in groups or otherwise chat with each other through messages or outside the app. But I try to avoid those things as much as possible, so I don’t know. I don’t want to think about what people might say about me.

Sorry if I’ve gotten a little off topic. I understand why the term “stalking” is offensive, as I have a friend who is really being stalked by a man from Smule.

It may be a case of a term being tossed around casually without really considering the seriousness it implies. I know I’ve used the word “stalking” to describe someone checking out my page. I’ve also used the words “creeping on my page” which may be a more appropriate choice of words. But I assume most people are like me, and don’t intend to downplay the seriousness of stalking. I really believe it’s just poorly chosen term that is commonly used within the Smule community.

Edited by DuetWithAlli
Finishing my thought
  • like 1

TheMajesticM
On 5/15/2021 at 9:05 PM, DuetWithAlli said:

It may be a case of a term being tossed around casually without really considering the seriousness it implies. I know I’ve used the word “stalking” to describe someone checking out my page. I’ve also used the words “creeping on my page” which may be a more appropriate choice of words. But I assume most people are like me, and don’t intend to downplay the seriousness of stalking. I really believe it’s just poorly chosen term that is commonly used within the Smule community.

@DuetWithAlliwell put statement! Exactly the point I was trying to make. The word stalking should never be used casually.  It’s a serious crime and can lead to serious consequences.  I don’t care too much about “creeping,” again as long as users don’t try to find where my family and I live without consent. I’d say the majority of users are guilty of creeping if the truth be known. 

As for talk behind the scenes, yes, I am positive it happens in the chat groups. I don’t participate in that type of behavior, either, reason I decline chat group requests. They’re trouble, in my opinion. 

• like 1

DuetWithAlli

Oh yes, I am totally guilty of creeping on accounts. Like if I haven’t seen someone in awhile and I’m missing that person. But if I listen to anything  while I’m on someone’s page, I will love it to show that I was there. 

And I agree 100% about the groups. 

• like 1

TheMajesticM

I wish Smule had the feature to show who visits or explores our profile, same as this blog. I know one of their competitors has the feature for VIPs. That would be neat. 

DuetWithAlli

That might bring about more complaints of “stalking”. On the other hand, maybe people are less likely to creep on an account if they know others can see what they’re doing ...

Personally, I’m not sure I want to know who’s looking at my profile. It might be disappointing to see who’s actually watching my videos versus who I like to imagine is watching my videos hehe ...

Edited by DuetWithAlli
  • like 1

TheMajesticM

Definitely pros and cons to that feature. Agree! 😊