[Song Name] duplicate FIXED (tutorial)

Abundiz93

Hello, everyone. Hope y'all doing good.

So, we know the drill: whenever you upload a song to the library, this thing happens...

[Song Name] - [Song Name]

And that's quite annoying. So I decided to mess around with Smule on PC and found a way to, apparently, avoid the name duplication. I'll explaing it here:

1. Alright, first you need to upload the track (make sure it has no vocals in it). You put the cover and artist name right, BUT you need to play with the name for a while: put a parenthesis at the end with anything you want (in my case, the genre of the song). Don't press the Enter or Tab keys for safety reasons: just click outside the box to proceed. Don't worry about the name for now. We'll erase it later...Diapositiva1.thumb.JPG.a7d48be7fcc2fb26ddd3f4d297c6af5c.JPG

2. We put the lyrics in, we time them just right, and ignore all that "parts" bs (seriously, why is in there, lmao), and we've got our song up in the Library, ready to be sung. But the name is just not right, and that triggers your OCT. Let's fix it! Diapositiva2.thumb.JPG.eb0253c1218d4c06dc5d6c5acdaf057b.JPG

3. We're going to click the Edit button (it's the little pen on the picture above) and access the edit feature (it's marked with a red arrow on the picture below).Diapositiva3.thumb.JPG.4c78907cad696fa69b767128af5d3fdd.JPG

4. After that we'll have the option to change the song's name. Erase the text between parenthesis (e.g. (jPop)) BUT DON'T CLICK ENTER OR TAB. Sometimes it can show you several name options (just like when we're trying to upload on the first place). We're avoiding that by clicking outside the dialog box, not selecting anything at all.Diapositiva4.thumb.JPG.5d0bc38bdad7b5fd6288b6c15137090b.JPG

5. We've got our song name just right. All we need to do now is to click Save and we're through. The name won't duplicate on the app no more (give the changes you've just made a few minutes to show).Diapositiva5.thumb.JPG.c40d6a101da1227add75b530acabcba0.JPG

And that's it, a way to prevent your songs to have duplicate names (some people don't bother, some others do). I've got songs I could re-upload but not really, I'm too lazy to redo the timing and lyrics. Try it and tell me your experience in the comments below.

I'll see you next time! ♫

- Your friend Ramses (@Abundiz93)

Edited by Abundiz93

cl00bie

We put the lyrics in, we time them just right, and ignore all that "parts" bs (seriously, why is in there, lmao)

If you're talking about tagging the song with "verse", "chorus" and "bridge", it is so the song will trigger different effects in custom themes at the proper time.  I figure people are creative enough to build that in, I will take the time to correctly tag my upload.

Abundiz93
8 hours ago, cl00bie said:

If you're talking about tagging the song with "verse", "chorus" and "bridge", it is so the song will trigger different effects in custom themes at the proper time.  I figure people are creative enough to build that in, I will take the time to correctly tag my upload.

On that part, I was talking about avoiding the parts ("verse", "chorus", etc.) editing at the time. I'm not focusing the tutorial on them. But after you've got your song's name right, and saved all canges, then you can edit that the same way you're editing the name of the song. For me it's a safer way to not mess around my main objective. 

Did you try it? If so, let me know if anything different happens.

I'll see you next time! ♫

- Your friend Ramses (@Abundiz93)