Smule and number of likes

opentype

Don’t worry about it. Some people join groups where everyone likes everyone else’s songs so they appear to be liked. It’s a rather silly game. 

• like 2

_RamKrish1012
6 hours ago, Kamal9555 said:

How average singer in Smule gets 100 plus likes,while good singer gets hardly 4 to 5 likes

Yes people do play silly games. Some pay big money to get as many as 50K followers. These people are losers in my opinion. Just enjoy singing and the company of good smule partners and ignore the numbers game altogether. So Many follow me each day and the next day they are gone. The idea is by following you they are hoping you will follow them in return. Losers they are all.

• like 3

Kamal9555

Agreed,I have 21000 plus followers and have decent vocal sense yet people are jeleouy they will write obnoxious things and always invite me in box to join particular group to get 300plus likes,but I have to like them too,even if they sing pathetic, which is totally unethical.I don’t want to be in the crowd as I sing for my self not to impress others for fake likes.

Edited by Kamal9555

_RamKrish1012

I too was asked to join a group and the group rules were that every group member has to like any song sung by any member. I not only said BOOO to then but also quickly unfollowed every one in the group. You say you have 20000 followers, Dies it really matter how many people follow you ? The only people who follow me and I care for are my real family and friends. As for the others it is their choice. Most people follow and forget they are following. who cares.

In the 90's I used to join my friends and his mates and go to Karaoke Bars. Beer was flowing, a large video screen showed the video of the original song and the lyrics scrolled at the bottom nice and big font and there were as many as four wireless microphones for us to sing. we enjoyed and cheric=sh the sweet memories.

I am a senior citizen and have recorded 9.5K songs 95% duets joining others. I seldom send invites.

I must say I am having good fun with special people who are good singers and more than that good People.

Thats all that matters to me

bairbrediamond

I can’t understand why people want fake likes. It’s seems totally ridiculous to me! So I’ve politely turned down requests to join such groups

• like 1
  • love it! 1

RockMeSlowly
On 2/10/2021 at 8:56 PM, Kamal9555 said:

How average singer in Smule gets 100 plus likes,while good singer gets hardly 4 to 5 likes

It's because marketing teams across the Philippines, India and a few other regions are promoting clients and/or making the app look like it's being used.  When an account likes a track, it goes into their feed and makes the other account more visible.   Rinse/ repeat. They're bulking up the accounts they use to promote stuff.  The individual users who have a huge following for seemingly no reason have usually purchased a marketing package.  It's like a restaurant hiring actors to sit at tables so they don't look empty.  The same restaurant will be more appealing to actual diners if it seems full. 

Only a small portion of the userbase is actually active.  

There's a popular singer in London who's very good, pretty and has close to 30K followers. Basically, the prototype of someone who would get a lot of response on a social app.  She gets 25-50 really legit joins on the 7 day lifespan of her OCs.  It's mostly men and the same few women, all of whom are part of a Line club with her.  She gets song likes that are dramatically disproportionate to her legitimate engagement. If 30K followers were legit, it would show in actual people singing with her.

I'm a actual recording artist and haven't paid for marketing on this app.  I have 100 followers and maybe a handful of likes on songs, mostly from the same user, the joiner and a random bot.  I join others, I'm active, fun and try to be social and encouraging.  The lack of response isn't me, it's the fact there aren't that many active people to begin with.

Hope that helps you feel less dragged about the lack of attention. 

RockMeSlowly
2 hours ago, bairbrediamond said:

I can’t understand why people want fake likes. It’s seems totally ridiculous to me! So I’ve politely turned down requests to join such groups

Ego.  They want others to see them a certain way.  Honestly, Justin Beiber, Kim Kardashian, Jenna Marbles...   tons of people purchased their careers the same way.  The difference is Smule is not a big deal like Youtube or Tik Tok, so it's delusional to think it's going to get you a career. You can however network with it, so maybe the follows help them in terms of being taken seriously? 

People tend not to question where followes come from.  

Edited by RockMeSlowly

_RamKrish1012
10 hours ago, RockMeSlowly said:

It's like a restaurant hiring actors to sit at tables so they don't look empty.  The same restaurant will be more appealing to actual diners if it seems full. 

Awesome analogy

• thank you! 1

bairbrediamond

It’s all a bit silly isn’t it. I have found smule great for exploring different styles and developing my voice , and finding people who like the same music as you and  voices that gel with yours. I’m a songwriter and have asked a singer I find really gels with my voice to come on board for backing vocals for one of my songs. I think that’s really cool how it can connect people who gel musically from around the world!

Kamal9555

I love Smule and agreed with but too much bitching and manipulation is going on here,average singer get blue tick and good singers are not encouraged.But among music app Smule stand out due to innovations and sound quality,on a lighter note should we commoners also have our group like  Game stop,and upgrade the genuine singers😇😇😇

Aargo2017

Anyone on Starmaker ? Situation is worse there. Too many bots generating fake likes and comments. Singing quality levels much lower. Smule is much better in these regards. Nevertheless I am on the lookout for an alternative Karaoke platform where singers are judged on merit, get genuine and constructive feedback from from real good singers and have interesting music related discussions in  groups. Yes it is possible in Smule also but that will require manual effort and initiatives. If there is a platform which automatically facilitates these activities that would be great.

• like 4

SeanPaulRogers

Bandlab.com Its for serious artists and it is far better than smule as far as recording because every track is recorded separately from the music which allows you to manipulate each individual vocal track. I'm on there you can look me up.Anyone who is recording a group song should use Bandlab and then you can upload finished song to Smule. But use Bandlab for the actual recording of song.

DuetWithAlli

9 hours ago, Aargo2017 said:

Anyone on Starmaker ? Situation is worse there. Too many bots generating fake likes and comments. Singing quality levels much lower. Smule is much better in these regards. Nevertheless I am on the lookout for an alternative Karaoke platform where singers are judged on merit, get genuine and constructive feedback from from real good singers and have interesting music related discussions in  groups. Yes it is possible in Smule also but that will require manual effort and initiatives. If there is a platform which automatically facilitates these activities that would be great.

I tried Starmaker, and agree that it is much worse. In fact, I wonder if that’s where Smule got some of their more lame ideas, such as the annoying creepy bot messages. But on Starmaker, all comments and loves appear to be fake. At least Smule is made up of a majority of real users. Starmaker’s VIP is several times more expensive, and since there are no real users, there are no invites available to join. That’s why I returned to Smule.

• like 1

Kamal9555

Totally agreed StarMaker is pathetic,artificial bot generating likes and comments are common,and,they want people to purchase their gift then they will give you ,King title’Emperor also🙈gosh so many foolish people buy them and give in party room to some average singing lady to impress her as if she will invite them for Valentine day or blind date 😬if you see my profile in Smule I have written stay off for inboxing for group joining and artificial likes,as singing is my hobby and stress buster,not to impress someone for artificial likes

bairbrediamond
15 hours ago, SeanPaulRogers said:

Bandlab.com Its for serious artists and it is far better than smule as far as recording because every track is recorded separately from the music which allows you to manipulate each individual vocal track. I'm on there you can look me up.Anyone who is recording a group song should use Bandlab and then you can upload finished song to Smule. But use Bandlab for the actual recording of song.

yes I must get on BandLab. I think smule has been really good for improving my voice which makes my songwriting better as I can do more vocally now, sounds like BandLab might be good for co-writing and more creative endeavours

Guest scrapfree
On 2/13/2021 at 6:29 PM, Aargo2017 said:

Oh my goodness, Starmaker is ridiculous. I opened a live room last night and had 62 people in it, all fake!! Absolutely pointless. Which is a shame because some of the features in Starmaker are great. If they were actually legit, I’d consider moving from Smule to Starmaker. 
although I’m beginning to get suspicious about some of the accounts in Smule too, they don’t look real either.

RockMeSlowly
On 2/13/2021 at 5:56 AM, bairbrediamond said:

It’s all a bit silly isn’t it. I have found smule great for exploring different styles and developing my voice , and finding people who like the same music as you and  voices that gel with yours. I’m a songwriter and have asked a singer I find really gels with my voice to come on board for backing vocals for one of my songs. I think that’s really cool how it can connect people who gel musically from around the world!

This is exactly why I do it; to get my voice back in shape and to network with other artists. 

It's more than a bit silly, but we all need validation to different degrees.  Also, the app is not designed as a true artists tool.  It's very hard to find people and foster connections. 

HonchoTheDude

I’ll echo some things already stated here. Singing has always been a passion of mine and when the shutdown was enforced in our community last year, a couple friends and I signed up for Smule just to stay engaged and try our hand at genres that we might not be brave enough to attempt in public lol.

I’m not the best singer, but certainly not the worst and it blew my mind, initially, how some people have followers in the thousands yet can’t carry a tune in a bucket. Like, it kind of made me question my ability there for a second because there is a bit of ego involved with anyone who signs up for a social singing site, right? Otherwise we’d all just continue our solo shower performances lol.

Over the last year, I’ve actually made some really good friends on Smule and those are the people that I follow/join on a regular basis. If you find yourself getting down a bit because you shared a killer set - but didn’t get the joins or likes you thought that maybe you should have - just remember that it’s all for fun and if you’re having a good time doing it, then don’t worry about the popularity contest.

Edited by HonchoTheDude
  • like 1

_RamKrish1012
9 hours ago, HonchoTheDude said:

Over the last year, I’ve actually made some really good friends on Smule and those are the people that I follow/join on a regular basis. If you find yourself getting down a bit because you shared a killer set - but didn’t get the joins or likes you thought that maybe you should have - just remember that it’s all for fun and if you’re having a good time doing it, then don’t worry about the popularity contest.

Very Well Said. We are all mere Bathroom singers. I follow a Max of about 75 Smule members many of whom are close friends and family in Real Life. Of the 75 about 40 follow me. the other 30 I follow because they are awesome singers I got to meet through Smule. I unfollow members who send invites for ten songs a day as it tells me they are chasing numbers. This allows me to join about 7 members a night and I am having a Ball. and that is what Smule is About, singing with brothers sisters, cousins nieces and friends spread all over the world. The highlight of my Smule Journey was when my invite was joined by a Smule member from Kazakhstan, a Central Asian country and former Soviet republic, extends from the Caspian Sea in the west to the Altai Mountains at its eastern border with China and Russia. She does not speak hindi but she loves singing Hindi Songs. Sadly we cannot communicate as she write Russian..and I can't read Russian either

RockMeSlowly
On 2/13/2021 at 6:48 PM, SeanPaulRogers said:

Bandlab.com Its for serious artists and it is far better than smule as far as recording because every track is recorded separately from the music which allows you to manipulate each individual vocal track. I'm on there you can look me up.Anyone who is recording a group song should use Bandlab and then you can upload finished song to Smule. But use Bandlab for the actual recording of song

Interesting, but do you mean a song with no vocals?

RockMeSlowly
On 2/24/2021 at 1:13 AM, _RamKrish1012 said:

Very Well Said. We are all mere Bathroom singers. I follow a Max of about 75 Smule members many of whom are close friends and family in Real Life. Of the 75 about 40 follow me. the other 30 I follow because they are awesome singers I got to meet through Smule. I unfollow members who send invites for ten songs a day as it tells me they are chasing numbers. This allows me to join about 7 members a night and I am having a Ball. and that is what Smule is About, singing with brothers sisters, cousins nieces and friends spread all over the world. The highlight of my Smule Journey was when my invite was joined by a Smule member from Kazakhstan, a Central Asian country and former Soviet republic, extends from the Caspian Sea in the west to the Altai Mountains at its eastern border with China and Russia. She does not speak hindi but she loves singing Hindi Songs. Sadly we cannot communicate as she write Russian..and I can't read Russian either

Not that there's anything wrong with being a bathroom singer, but we're not all bathroom singers.  There are people who have records out, people who were in musicals before lockdown etc. I'm a pro musician myself. We're a mixed bag and that makes it fun.

• 6 months later...
ImOnlyaGhost

Likes are made by people opening up groups through private messages with another person and filling them with 37 people who then auto love down the list of whatever that room holds 10 songs a day or 15 etc then they place a bookmark 👏🏻💐💯🙏 or something same one always after loving back to their previous mark, It's a pointless game of numbers. I wrote a comment on a video today addressed advice for new users about how it's all fake and now. I'm blocked from being able to comment on my joins after this post I'll probably be suspended for exposing the fakeness. Smule Global is all tied into the same ordeal I've seen people I know just know the right people and bam smuleglobal says share their stuff to your social media, you join any of those people it's a generic response and irrelevant their using sunscribers to promote the in crowd. So don't bother worrying about it just sing and if you get blocked from being able to comment like I have just keep rolling. I would seriously advise people not to waste their money on VIP because unless you're in that people who video and put on a fake image like Instagram model club you're not gonna get anywhere to what you feel like you should. Keep being yourself and do your thing for you and whatever you do don't be suppressed like I have been lol. If I get suspended know I did so to let you all know and no I don't care about follows or ❤️s or gifts even. I had an account previously that had 5k and always heard amazing vocals and amazing rap skills etc but would see only my main friends join me from time to time. Everyone flocks to the crew that's running the app. Hope it helps illuminate the BS I've been in this High School game for over a decade if you're good you'll be oppressed unless you're a verified with CDs out cause again subscribers are all just steps to their idea of success. Take care of yourselves and just try to have fun and home your skills you people like me are why I stay on the app! Go shine and in case they silence me Good Luck! 

• like 1

Lovin'TheGift

I think the app’s practice of offering for you to follow whoever posted the track you just sang also influences the numbers in a big way. When I see inordinately high numbers for someone whose voice is, well - to say it politely - less than consistently on key, I check whether they’ve uploaded songs or not. Usually they’ve uploaded a ton and that always garners lots of followers. Personally, since at the time you don’t even hear the vocal talent of the person who only uploaded a track, I see no value in asking the singers to follow them. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Just my thoughts! Love the majority of the people I follow; even those whose singing may be so-so but they’re great friends. Still love the app and love that there’s a place to discuss some of these things and maybe see them improve. Thanks @opentype! 👍🏻

• like 1
  • thank you! 1

ImOnlyaGhost

I go and join my followers and even ones I don’t follow, I boost them I don’t care to boost myself I spit my own tracks off the top I could sell out myself to play the Spotify game, I don’t follow everyone though because if what’s the point of a follow if they don’t join you, or even listen to your stuff? I get what you’re saying. I got less #s I follow but I base it off of evidence that they’re promoting you not their own agendas, the music industry is garbage for that very reason most “artists” use auto tuned mics and software and a quick gimmick weak lyric cause they know it’s all about putting out that booty shaking, drink and drug music. I’ll follow those who merit my follow and I’ll join those who pay attention to joins, over the years I can tell you I’ve seen it many upon many times barely anyone takes the time to go through their channel and catch up on joins cause as I’ve said it’s about stepping on everyone for your end game goal of selfish agendas. So I don’t really care anymore I’ll do me and let everyone do themselves like they love anyways themselves, ego driven 🌎. I’m not the best singer or rapper but I know I’ve got talent and it shows by the joins I do where I’m prejudged to be a try hard solely because even without trying I don’t sound like garbage. Just wish the app was a “karaoke” app not a self promotion social media app. Thanks for your opinion I appreciate you taking your time to read and respond to mine even mine isn’t agreeable! Have a great weekend 👻💕

• like 2