Recording tabla on Smule

NeerajAcharya

NeerajAcharya

I wish to record my tabla playing on a Smule track. I have tried recording tabla using mobile earphones (multiple models) on both iOS and Android phones. But the recording is way beyond what is desired. General observations is that the left piece (dagga) sounds very flat and the right piece (tabla) heavily dominates.

Only one thing that was just ok was a recording done using Apple earphones. I did the trial by placing tabla about 2 feet away from the earphone microphone. But the tabla sharpness was lost. Also it is very uncomfortable to play tabla in such an odd position.

I am not a techie. Can someone help?

_RamKrish1012
3 hours ago, NeerajAcharya said:

I wish to record my tabla playing on a Smule track. I have tried recording tabla using mobile earphones (multiple models) on both iOS and Android phones. But the recording is way beyond what is desired. General observations is that the left piece (dagga) sounds very flat and the right piece (tabla) heavily dominates.

Only one thing that was just ok was a recording done using Apple earphones. I did the trial by placing tabla about 2 feet away from the earphone microphone. But the tabla sharpness was lost. Also it is very uncomfortable to play tabla in such an odd position.

I am not a techie. Can someone help?

Hi Neeraj, I am just thinking aloud about your problem.So please bear with me.  Suggest you plug the ear phones in your ears as usual  and allow the built in microphone to hang free between your face and the Mob phone but above the Tabla assuming you are squatting on the floor. Make sure the built in mic is at the right location on top of the Tabla. Meaning place the Mob phone on a Tripod at face level when you are sitting so the Tabla is below the built in mic.  This is a simply suggestion like the Laxman Jhoola. May or may not work.

If you want a more sophisticated Tech solution then you need to invest in a Dynamic or Condenser Microphone ( highly sensitive but a lot more expensive too ) plus a Mob Phone interface like the iRig Pro I/O or even the basic iRig Pre that is cheaper. These work perfectly with IOS but not Android phones

Hope this Helps