Please ask Smule to change the block feature

DuetWithAlli

I’ve asked many times for Smule to make changes to the block feature, and know several users who have done the same. And no, I am not the one having a problem ... just thought I’d better put that out there. But I am frustrated by Smule’s response to this issue.

How it works is that users you block can no longer join your songs or message you. You don’t receive notifications if they like or comment on your recordings, although they can still perform these actions.

The issue is that YOU cannot see the recordings of blocked users, but they can still see your profile, see who you are singing with, everything you do ... and send harassing messages to the people you sing with.

So it’s like Smule thinks you need to be protected from yourself, and has no interest in protecting users who are seriously being harassed. Wouldn’t it make more sense to prevent blocked users from being able to see the profile of someone who blocked them? 

Maybe if enough users complain, Smule will consider changing this feature. To contact Smule, go into the app settings and find the support section. Select Help. In the top right corner, it says Submit a Request. Fill in the information and send it Smule’s way. Thanks in advance for your help.

• like 3

opentype

They can’t really change the block feature unless they reengineer the entire privacy system for accounts and songs. 

At the moment, a blocked person could just log out and open any profile on the Smule website, see everything and then log back in to message anyone on that profile. No changes to the block feature would prevent that. 

So what would be needed first is non-public profiles. 

• like 2

_RamKrish1012
14 hours ago, opentype said:

Agree but that defeats the entire purpose of Smule as an App for Singing with any one we choose, if someone's profile is non public.  Say I block someone, a VIP member for whatever reason "say Harassment", that member can use another Mob Phone with a different Sim Card and be able to see every Smule Profile one choses, even without a VIP. I know at least 6 excellent Female singers quit Smule for good as they were being harassed by Ex Partners etc. I wish there was a way to address this, can't think of one right now

• like 1
  • sad 1

DuetWithAlli
16 hours ago, opentype said:

They can’t really change the block feature unless they reengineer the entire privacy system for accounts and songs. 

At the moment, a blocked person could just log out and open any profile on the Smule website, see everything and then log back in to message anyone on that profile. No changes to the block feature would prevent that. 

Oh thanks, I see what you’re saying. I am a little relieved to know that this is the reason Smule doesn’t change it, and not for the reasons I was thinking. Anyway, I guess I’m not going to bother contacting Smule now. 

DuetWithAlli
On 12/13/2020 at 5:44 AM, _RamKrish1012 said:

Agree but that defeats the entire purpose of Smule as an App for Singing with any one we choose, if someone's profile is non public.  Say I block someone, a VIP member for whatever reason "say Harassment", that member can use another Mob Phone with a different Sim Card and be able to see every Smule Profile one choses, even without a VIP. I know at least 6 excellent Female singers quit Smule for good as they were being harassed by Ex Partners etc. I wish there was a way to address this, can't think of one right now

This is why I’m not going to pursue it any further with Smule. As you say, it kind of defeats the purpose of the app if you can’t connect with others through music. 

Editing my post because I am afraid of making the problem worse.

Edited by DuetWithAlli
  • sad 1

_RamKrish1012
8 hours ago, DuetWithAlli said:

This is why I’m not going to pursue it any further with Smule. As you say, it kind of defeats the purpose of the app if you can’t connect with others through music. I have a friend whose singing partners are being harassed. One stopped joining, and another is deleting Smule entirely. You’re right though ... there doesn’t appear to be a good solution. This user continues to make new accounts for the purpose of harassment, but all I can do is report the original account. Just wishing I could do more ...

Do you know the person harassing personally or is he/she just another Smule Vip Member ? I am thinking Smule Software can figure out the IP address the person is using and Ban that IP address totally. Still only a Partial solution. Sad the world is full of sick people who bully others.

DuetWithAlli
On 12/14/2020 at 8:11 AM, _RamKrish1012 said:

Do you know the person harassing personally or is he/she just another Smule Vip Member ? I am thinking Smule Software can figure out the IP address the person is using and Ban that IP address totally. Still only a Partial solution. Sad the world is full of sick people who bully others.

I don’t know him personally. I asked Smule about the possibility of blocking his IP address, and they asked me to flag the account and send more screenshots/information. But he hasn’t messaged me personally, so I have nothing else to send. I shared Smule’s response with my friend and also suggested she could ask anyone he is harassing to flag his account(s) so Smule can investigate further.

Rogerlococo2020

The key is do not fight with the person who harass you. Just send all the proves to smule and show them how they harass you. Then they will get the punishments. Smule doesn't care if are popular or having 50k followers or not. They will frozen anyone's account if they think you did wrong. So just be smart don't take the bait if someone is trying to provoke you

Edited by Rogerlococo2020

DarkStardust

Wow, I actually had no idea that it worked like that. I suppose that makes sense now that I think about it, as I blocked someone years ago and they then began to follow my regular sing friends on Smule (& I couldn't figure out how/why that was happening). Thanks for the clarification!

Edited by DarkStardust
Read further down into post responses and saw that a certain aspect of my reply had been deemed irrelevant. ;-)