Isn’t it contradictory?

Acedreday

Why does Smule allow people to upload a track with vocals that are audible?  Isn’t that the point of karaoke?  This isn’t smule sing along. Cmon man, there are so many useless song uploads in the song lists.  Isn’t there a way to write a program to purge the system of all these redundant, mistimed, incomplete, or half assed uploads?

• like 1

opentype

Yes, it is possible, but I guess there are people who prefer a version with vocals over not having the song on the app at all. That’s why these songs are still uploaded. 

It doesn’t bother me all that much, since those uploads get downvoted and so they don’t appear at the top when you search for a song. 

• like 1

pokky

I'd celebrate the day they purge all of those lol. But personally i'm fine with those that are titled as such, ie. "on vocal" etc. for practising.

Timing can be a tricky thing to do, so that I can understand.

_RamKrish1012
16 hours ago, Acedreday said:

Why does Smule allow people to upload a track with vocals that are audible?  Isn’t that the point of karaoke?  This isn’t smule sing along. Cmon man, there are so many useless song uploads in the song lists.  Isn’t there a way to write a program to purge the system of all these redundant, mistimed, incomplete, or half assed uploads?

I understand and appreciate how you feel. But then there are no restrictions on who can upload songs. Each and every Smule member has the right to upload whatever he/she wants. So best is stay with the best rated uploads for each and every song you wish go sing. Why bother about the trash uploaded by people who do not know what they are doing. Quality also depends on Hardware and software used and how could their internet connectivity is. Let them be. Just ignore them

Acedreday

I hear you, but I’m only talking on the efficiency standpoint for the other users and possibly the unnecessary load it causes the servers for the app.  Coz newer uploads that are actually awesome can get lost in the spam of these other unusable uploads because they haven’t had a chance to be rated yet.  And I’m pretty sure that does something to the servers too having to load a hundred songs of the same title and maybe only 5 to 10 of them are actually good.  If they could trim some of these bad uploads maybe they can use that freed up memory to fix some of the issues that haunt smulers during live jam like getting kicked out or fix that vertical lyrics problem or with the direction they are going probably add more styles to the app. I suggest they prioritize the existing issues users are having before adding more features before addressing them.  I know there are no restrictions on uploads and that’s why we are having this conversation in the first place.  Maybe there should be some.

Acedreday
On 11/19/2020 at 11:19 AM, pokky said:

I'd celebrate the day they purge all of those lol. But personally i'm fine with those that are titled as such, ie. "on vocal" etc. for practising.

Timing can be a tricky thing to do, so that I can understand.

Yes or at least have it mandatory that they label it as so.  With vocals, no lyrics, or something like that, know what I mean?  

• like 1

_RamKrish1012

Not much that Smule can do about millions of uploads to rate then purge them etc. It is logical for Smule to depend on Natural attrition. Also if Your Up[load is Much higher quality it follows that good singers will use your upload and it is only a matter of time to get to the top of the ladder. I am aware of a Lady uploading Hindi songs. She was a total unknown a year back. Today every third invite I receive from my Smule Partners is an Upload by this same lady who was an unknown a year ago. Quality uploads float to the top and bad ones sink to the bottom fast.

Ron Dunn

Could you define the elements of a "Quality" upload?   I plan to upload some songs and it would be helpful to know what I should watch for. 

Acedreday
1 hour ago, Ron Dunn said:

Could you define the elements of a "Quality" upload?   I plan to upload some songs and it would be helpful to know what I should watch for. 

I’d be glad to, sir.  Let me just enumerate them and will try to do it in order of importance.

1.  Is it a legal upload and not violating copyright? Because it’s unfortunate for the people who would join your song upload only to have it taken down in the future and losing there recordings.  Happened to me before.

2.  Song Title should be labeled clearly with description informative to others. (Does it have audible vocals?  Is it a short version? Does it not have Lyrics? Is it acoustic version? Is it in a different language?)

2.  Sound quality.  Does your upload sound clear or it sounds like it being played out of a tin can? If it’s the latter, just save everyone the time coz you can probably find the same song with better quality on the redundant list as it is.  If you’re totally convinced that what you want to upload is so unique that you’re obligated to share it to the world, you should. People will upload something inconvenient to others for a much less reason, like for no reason at all.  At least you would have one.

4.  Are the lyrics for the duet thoughtfully distributed?  Meaning are both singers gonna have evenly distributed parts and will it be a fun experience singing the song together?  The uploader has control over this.

5. Is the timing of the lyrics in sync with the instrumental that is playing or does it seem like the uploader let a baby go ham on the spacebar during the lyrics and timing process of the upload?

6. Are the words of the lyrics spelled correctly or is the uploader just putting in homonyms to the actual lyrics to the song inventing absurd words in the process or having song lines that would be out of context?

I think that’s it. At least what I can think of right now.

Edited by Acedreday

_RamKrish1012
11 hours ago, Acedreday said:

I’d be glad to, sir.  Let me just enumerate them and will try to do it in order of importance.

1.  Is it a legal upload and not violating copyright? Because it’s unfortunate for the people who would join your song upload only to have it taken down in the future and losing there recordings.  Happened to me before.

2.  Song Title should be labeled clearly with description informative to others. (Does it have audible vocals?  Is it a short version? Does it not have Lyrics? Is it acoustic version? Is it in a different language?)

2.  Sound quality.  Does your upload sound clear or it sounds like it being played out of a tin can? If it’s the latter, just save everyone the time coz you can probably find the same song with better quality on the redundant list as it is.  If you’re totally convinced that what you want to upload is so unique that you’re obligated to share it to the world, you should. People will upload something inconvenient to others for a much less reason, like for no reason at all.  At least you would have one.

4.  Are the lyrics for the duet thoughtfully distributed?  Meaning are both singers gonna have evenly distributed parts and will it be a fun experience singing the song together?  The uploader has control over this.

5. Is the timing of the lyrics in sync with the instrumental that is playing or does it seem like the uploader let a baby go ham on the spacebar during the lyrics and timing process of the upload?

6. Are the words of the lyrics spelled correctly or is the uploader just putting in homonyms to the actual lyrics to the song inventing absurd words in the process or having song lines that would be out of context?

I think that’s it. At least what I can think of right now.

Acedreday,

Brilliant Write up on defining a "Quality Upload". Thanks a Tonne.

Todate, recorded over 9K songs. I have been joining invites say 95% of the time; meaning Minimal Invites. I have sung over 1000 different songs mostly in Hindi and Tamil and a few English numbers. I have blogged all these songs and included Video and Lyrics to practice and get the timing and pitch correct before singing. http://Gatarahe.blogspot.com

Considering my vintage, there are heaps of Old Classic that I cannot find on Smule.  ( I am 74 year old Acoustic Engineer - More to do with Industrial Noise Control and not Music). 

Now I am feeling inclined to upload some very old classics not found on Smule and have a Top of the Range Apple Mac Pro. Can you please give some suggestions for a beginner like me. Should be Good Fun I think.  Thank you in Advance . Cheers

Ram

iMimi_
On 11/19/2020 at 7:32 AM, Acedreday said:

EXACTLY! I couldn’t agree with @Acedreday any more! It’s not fair to those who want to sing a certain song and the only that is up is one with either no lyrics or vocals are on there. Ratings don’t matter because the track can have a 100% with vocals.  I upload songs most the time and its the easiest thing to do if you do it right. Why take up Space when we can just get rid of the bad ones. Last time I checked karaoke Means to sing to the lyrics with the  “instrumental” minus the vocals.  It’s a pain in the but to have To go on a scavenger hunt to find the perfect “best quality” instrumental.  Many people I know on the app have the same issue.  

• love it! 1

Acedreday
22 hours ago, Ron Dunn said:

Thank you Acedreday.  That's exactly what I was looking for.

You’re welcome sir, I’m only giving suggestions on how I think smule could be more user-friendly.  But since you asked me what I think a quality upload is, I responded.  But that’s still just my opinion.  Thanks for actually being interested in quality over quantity.

• like 1

Acedreday
1 hour ago, iMimi_ said:

EXACTLY! I couldn’t agree with @Acedreday any more! It’s not fair to those who want to sing a certain song and the only that is up is one with either no lyrics or vocals are on there. Ratings don’t matter because the track can have a 100% with vocals.  I upload songs most the time and its the easiest thing to do if you do it right. Why take up Space when we can just get rid of the bad ones. Last time I checked karaoke Means to sing to the lyrics with the  “instrumental” minus the vocals.  It’s a pain in the but to have To go on a scavenger hunt to find the perfect “best quality” instrumental.  Many people I know on the app have the same issue.  

Thank you!!! Finally, someone that knows what I’m talking about.  I was starting to think I was a bad person for thinking it’s irrational having to scroll past waves upon waves of bad uploads and prefer not to have my time taken up just doing that.  Lmao. Not really.  
I’m on the app coz I want to sing now, I don’t have a year to wait for the good uploads to “float up” to the top.  In a year, there’ll be new songs and more bad uploads to scroll thru.  

• 2 weeks later...
yaunti
On 11/19/2020 at 10:55 AM, opentype said:

Yes, it is possible, but I guess there are people who prefer a version with vocals over not having the song on the app at all. That’s why these songs are still uploaded. 

It doesn’t bother me all that much, since those uploads get downvoted and so they don’t appear at the top when you search for a song. 

I had gotten two friend to check out smule. They like to jam out to the radio and used to send me videos of them singing to the radio. They didn't like smule both because of the lack of vocals being present but for different reasons. 

yaunti
On 11/20/2020 at 3:34 PM, Acedreday said:

Yes or at least have it mandatory that they label it as so.  With vocals, no lyrics, or something like that, know what I mean?  

Agreed. I don't mind if there are the occasional background vocals but it still be nice to know if there were some kind of vocals. I went to open "always" today, there is something to let people know that there are no visual lyrics. Its shouldn't be that hard to include an audio notification as well.

Edited by yaunti
Clarification