How often do you check the Feed page in the app?

opentype

Unless I am actively sharing my latest collabs or people visit my profile directly, the main way for people to discover my new songs is through the Feed page in the app, where friend activities are mixed in with other content like song suggestions. But while I used it frequently when I started out with the app, I find myself now usually ignoring it and I mostly just deal with activity/invitation section. But as a result, I don’t see my friends collabs and they probably don’t see mine. The ratio between my follower count and the view count of new songs supports that suspicion. 

So am I alone with this? Do you check the Feed page frequently? Or if not, why not?

• thank you! 1

Mysoulsingsout

I never check my feed page at all. Never really did in the first place. I do however check the listen section where you can listen to people singing songs that cater to your interests and popular collaborations/video OCs. If smule deleted the feed tab, I'd never even notice. ? I also get a bit lost in the invites tab. I prefer private messages for OC invites. 

• like 1

opentype
On 23. August 2016 at 2:59 AM, Mysoulsingsout said:

I never check my feed page at all. Never really did in the first place. 

Interesting. So I guess you never notice new songs of your Smule friends (let alone other activities like comments) unless you actually visit their profile page one by one and see what is new.  ?

Mysoulsingsout

I usually check my friends' Smule accounts by typing in their name in the search bar. I do check my notifications daily where you can find comments or joins. If you see me loving a song and leaving comments it's because I was thinking about that person and genuinely wanted to hear what they've been singing, not because I went scrolling down my feed page. I was the same way when I used Facebook-did not browse my feed much. But I did like their filter for feed-you could choose which of your friends you wanted to follow on your main feed. Perhaps Smule should look into something like that. If we could filter the people we want to see in our feed (because many of us follow a lot of people), it may become a more useful tool.

CoryCater

I am in the same boat as @Mysoulsingsout.  I do not check the Feed tab or the Hot Recordings tab and never have.  One of the most annoying things that I have found out about the Feed tab is that anytime I love a song it shows up on the Feed tab of all of my followers.  That has got to be annoying to my friends and followers.  I love hundreds of songs a week because the only thing I listen to in the car, around the house, at the office is Smule.  Lets say an average smuler follows 100 people who are liking an average of 10 songs a week.  That means 1000 loves show up in their feed not to mention comments.  Loves IMHO are a completely useless thing to show in the feed.

The hot recordings tab is another one that I don't find to be very useful.  The first time I ever looked at it was when one of my songs started getting a crazy number of views and someone explained that the song had been smulepicked for the week.  I had no idea what that was and it took a lot of follow up questioning to figure out where people were finding the song.

Which brings me to one of my other main complaints.  Following on from the distaste for spamming which I shared above, I really wish there was a feature to disable notifications for any song you want.  The notifications tab is where I get all of my activity information, and sometimes it can get clogged up with activity from one song, for example a Smulepick, or by a group song you have participated in.  In those cases, but really any case, I would like to be able to click the song and choose to disable notifications, either temporarily or indefinitely.

Does anyone else ever get overwhelmed by activity on one song?  My worst nightmare would be to be featured on the hot recordings tab with a partner artist.  A couple of my friends have been, and I seriously think I would just abandon my old account and start a new one.

So enough about complaints.  Has anyone updated to the new version of Sing?  I am really enjoying being able to bookmark invites.  How many times have you meant to join a song and then you get busy for a day or two and it just falls off your radar?  I used to set reminders on my phone to sing with people before the song expired.  Now I can do that in-app.  Brilliant Smule developers!

opentype
16 hours ago, CoryCater said:

… anytime I love a song it shows up on the Feed tab of all of my followers.  That has got to be annoying to my friends and followers.  I love hundreds of songs a week …

Everyone only sees a summary of all of their friends recent joins/likes/comments. If you like a 100 songs in a short time, the people following you won’t see all these 100 likes of course. That would indeed be annoying. 

The general idea of this system sounds right to me. Outstanding performances should have the chance to get a snow ball effect going, where likes and comments spread that performance through the network so it can get more views. But if the feed page is ignored by many, that can’t work very well of course. 

I really wish there was a feature to disable notifications for any song you want.  The notifications tab is where I get all of my activity information, and sometimes it can get clogged up with activity from one song, for example a Smulepick, or by a group song you have participated in.  In those cases, but really any case, I would like to be able to click the song and choose to disable notifications, either temporarily or indefinitely.

I would always send such feature requests to Smule. The features that get enough requests will be included eventually, even if it might take a year or so. 

I guess they are aware of that notification flooding problem and tried to solve it through combined notifications (like “12 people commented that song” instead of 12 separate entries). If notifications can be turned off completely for a song, it would be kind of weird though in my opinion. If I write a comment, I am aware the recipient might not pay much attention (especially if he/she has thousands of followers), but writing a comment knowing the person might have essentially blocked comments for that song getting through at all—that would be weird. 

I am really enjoying being able to bookmark invites.  

Yeah, it’s very helpful. When I started with Smule, I used to write down songs I wanted to join on a piece of paper as my way of bookmarking. ?

• 1 month later...
Ella Sings

I also don't use this feed page much. I use Line with my closest friends and we share our best songs there. 

• like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Machine_learning

What is the basis for a song to appear in FEED? the FEED songs one sees is it different for all? I mean will my FEED page not show the songs sung by me while it will show up on the FEED of the followers? Thanks.

_RamKrish1012

FEED was pretty useful when I signed up as I was able to listen to recording and pick and choose whom to follow and what song to sing and which invite to accept etc etc. After about six months when I was following 300 members and being followed by 150, it was all over whelming and after that never bothered to look at Feed.

Amongs Smule members from India, unfortunately it has become a numbers game. You wake up to find 50 or hundred people have followed you over night and by the end of the day they have unfollowed you. Took me a while to figure out what was going on. Some people are obsessed with number of followers they have so they follow any one and every one they are not following with the hope they will be followed themselves.

One Morning I decided to slash the number of people I was following by 250 to stay sane. You get tired of singing the same duets again and again. In in 18 months I have recorded around 4.4k songs and 96% duets

and have just about sung enough kareoke for now.

I am now learning to auto Rap :-)

Ram

For me, this is the best way to use Smule. I keep my Smule notifications turned off. Actually I keep all of my app notifications off now.  I log into the app, get my messages, check the feed with my followers invites, bookmark what I like, and sing them when I get time. That’s pretty much it. As much as I would love to check everyone else out on the other feed, I just don’t have the time. And I have unfollowed users for having too many invites. 😬 SORRY!  Dang! 140+ invites. Talk about clogging up the feed! I try to have a reasonable amount open at all times so users will know I am active. 

I also have a Smule schedule. After my day is finished, I try to join the users/friends I follow and sing a few songs I bookmarked before bed. It works! 😊

16 hours ago, _RamKrish1012 said:

FEED was pretty useful when I signed up as I was able to listen to recording and pick and choose whom to follow and what song to sing and which invite to accept etc etc. After about six months when I was following 300 members and being followed by 150, it was all over whelming and after that never bothered to look at Feed.

Amongs Smule members from India, unfortunately it has become a numbers game. You wake up to find 50 or hundred people have followed you over night and by the end of the day they have unfollowed you. Took me a while to figure out what was going on. Some people are obsessed with number of followers they have so they follow any one and every one they are not following with the hope they will be followed themselves.

One Morning I decided to slash the number of people I was following by 250 to stay sane. You get tired of singing the same duets again and again. In in 18 months I have recorded around 4.4k songs and 96% duets

and have just about sung enough kareoke for now.

I am now learning to auto Rap 🙂

Ram

Oh, yeah! There are users obsessed with numbers. I don’t get it. I want genuine users who are only interested in singing, what the app is for. I’d rather have ten users focused on singing than a thousand followers who are there for other reasons.

Good luck with Auto Rap! 😊

DuetWithAlli

Yes, I agree that it is overwhelming to look at the feed. I never used to look at it, but now I click on the feed when I am ready to sing, to see if any of my friends have Live Jams going on. But that is at the top, so I still don’t bother with looking at the rest. I browse through invites and try to keep on top of my notifications. Otherwise, I don’t need to know what anyone else is doing.

_RamKrish1012
12 hours ago, SweetMel_ said:

I keep my Smule notifications turned off. Actually I keep all of my app notifications off now.  I log into the app, get my messages, check the feed with my followers invites, bookmark what I like, and sing them when I get time.

Sweet-Mel,

You mean you never look at Activities and Invites under notifications and just use feed to book mark songs ? Wont you be missing out on all comments on your duet posted by your singing partner and friends ? Wont that take all the fun out of this interactive Smule singing ?

Ram

_RamKrish1012
11 hours ago, SweetMel_ said:

Good luck with Auto Rap! 😊

Why do you say Good Luck with Auto Rap ? Have you had issues with the App?

I have not had any luck so far as I have not figured out how to use the App. I have the lyrics for my first song but don't know how to go about it yet. I dont want to copy some other artists Rap style but want to create my own even if it sounds absurd :-)

Ram

Ram,

I just meant I hope you have fun and there aren’t any issues with the app. That’s all. No, I am not familiar with it. 

1 hour ago, _RamKrish1012 said:

Sweet-Mel,

You mean you never look at Activities and Invites under notifications and just use feed to book mark songs ? Wont you be missing out on all comments on your duet posted by your singing partner and friends ? Wont that take all the fun out of this interactive Smule singing ?

Ram

There are what I consider two feeds, one with the invites and the other where users show up where they have joined others or are loving duets. I only look at the feed with invites. Very seldom do I check out the other feed. I don’t see a use, plus I don’t have time. Unless someone sends their duets directly to my inbox for me to listen or watch, I don’t listen to anyone else. Again it’s due to time. I barely get time to sing for myself, but I am a good contributor. I am a big time joiner! And to be honest, I like it that way. Hope you understood my comments. Sorry they were not clear to you. 😊

9 hours ago, DuetWithAlli said:

Yes, I agree that it is overwhelming to look at the feed. I never used to look at it, but now I click on the feed when I am ready to sing, to see if any of my friends have Live Jams going on. But that is at the top, so I still don’t bother with looking at the rest. I browse through invites and try to keep on top of my notifications. Otherwise, I don’t need to know what anyone else is doing.

I periodically check for Live Jams, only reason I check that feed, as well. Agree with your comment 100%! What I meant to state. 

xxx_imSEXYbella
On 8/18/2016 at 4:03 PM, opentype said:

Unless I am actively sharing my latest collabs or people visit my profile directly, the main way for people to discover my new songs is through the Feed page in the app, where friend activities are mixed in with other content like song suggestions. But while I used it frequently when I started out with the app, I find myself now usually ignoring it and I mostly just deal with activity/invitation section. But as a result, I don’t see my friends collabs and they probably don’t see mine. The ratio between my follower count and the view count of new songs supports that suspicion. 

So am I alone with this? Do you check the Feed page frequently? Or if not, why not?

I never checked my feed too, I didn't realize its existence before 😂 and after I did notice it, there was nothing much to see (i had only few people in my follower and following lists back then) so I never pay much attention to it. I think the feed would be more fun and interesting to see if users can customize the view of their feed (add wallpaper, change its background color (just like our profiles in the smule app) and be able to see infos of other users in the 'recommended for you (like a pop up bubble when you click it once, and double click will direct you to the user's page). Also i think it would be awesome if users can post a 6sec short musical video (like a message for followers) as their status post that will self-destruct after 24hours. Like, if you want to have a live jam later after work, you can announce it in the feed to reach/attract more followers and joiners. Doesn't have to have fancy features like Vine or TikTok, but 6sec of <Kiss And Make up> by Dua Lipa+Black Pink in the background as I pop out cheerfully reminding my smule friends to join my live jam around 10pm tonight with annoying siblings doing the Floss dance behind my back OR start a rally challenge to rap Eminem's Rap God for 4sec then nominate someone to continue where you stopped would be fun. But then again, maybe not. Smule won't be Smule if those 6sec video features added to it. Lol that's just crazy thoughts. 

xxx_imSEXYbella
1 minute ago, xxx_imSEXYbella said:

I never checked my feed too, I didn't realize its existence before 😂 and after I did notice it, there was nothing much to see (i had only few people in my follower and following lists back then) so I never pay much attention to it. I think the feed would be more fun and interesting to see if users can customize the view of their feed (add wallpaper, change its background color (just like our profiles in the smule app) and be able to see infos of other users in the 'recommended for you (like a pop up bubble when you click it once, and double click will direct you to the user's page). Also i think it would be awesome if users can post a 6sec short musical video (like a message for followers) as their status post that will self-destruct after 24hours. Like, if you want to have a live jam later after work, you can announce it in the feed to reach/attract more followers and joiners. Doesn't have to have fancy features like Vine or TikTok, but 6sec of <Kiss And Make up> by Dua Lipa+Black Pink in the background as I pop out cheerfully reminding my smule friends to join my live jam around 10pm tonight with annoying siblings doing the Floss dance behind my back OR start a rally challenge to rap Eminem's Rap God for 4sec then nominate someone to continue where you stopped would be fun. But then again, maybe not. Smule won't be Smule if those 6sec video features added to it. Lol that's just crazy thoughts. 

Sorry i just babble out my random thoughts and got so out of topic! 😂