a couple of newbie questions

BrainDad

Hi, I'm quite new to this and I've got some newbie questions:

I've seen some song comments which say things like "I used SS35/40" (well, I don't remember the exact numbers ...) 
What's that about? Is it a mic?

Other comments say "use volume -1" or "use only polish" (well, this one I get it's just the effect chosen)

Groups, auditions, etc. ... Some people claim they are in this or that group, there are group auditions ...  What's all that about groups? Let's say you audition and become a member ... Then what do they do?

Guest 01_SassyMelissa

I had the same questions when I was a newbie and had to figure them out on my own, so I will try to help you. ;) This knowledge is what I have picked up from other users. The SS 35/40 means the singer used Super Studio (SS) and the 35 is the reverb, and the 40 means room size, and room size does not mean the actual size of the room where you sing - just learned that recently. (I have attached pictures for your convenience.) When you click on Super Studio below the lyrics, you will see reverb and room size bars/scales at the bottom of the SS circle/icon. (You can choose the special effects before singing or before you save after recording.) The lower the reverb in SS, the more of your natural voice will be heard; but if you use the reverb and raise the percentage, it changes the sound of your voice or the notes you sing. For example, it makes the high notes and low notes you may not be able to hit just right sound better or smoother. Beware: too much reverb can make your voice sound robotic so just play with it or test it to see what sounds best. As for room size, it means the size of the room you want to sound like you are in while singing, such as you may want to sound as if you are singing on a stage, so raise it to a higher percentage. Again beware: too much percentage on room size can cause echoing. I hope my answer is easy for you to understand. Someone else may want to correct me, but, again, this is what I have learned from several users. 

Good luck! :D

Guest 01_SassyMelissa

As for groups, I hope someone else answers you. I have been on the app for two years, and I never had an interest. However, I have Sing! friends who are in groups and enjoy them. :)

Super Studio.jpg

Reverb and Room Size Bars - Scales.jpg

Edited by 01_SassyMelissa

Guest 01_SassyMelissa

I am sorry my pictures did not appear in my first reply. I tried to edit to rearrange them, and I guess my editing timed out, but they are posted above in my second reply, as you have probably already seen. :)

opentype
19 hours ago, BrainDad said:

Groups, auditions, etc. ... Some people claim they are in this or that group, there are group auditions ...  What's all that about groups? Let's say you audition and become a member ... Then what do they do?

It’s just a way to connect with other Smule users and do things together. Groups will usually have a group chat in a messenger app such as Line where they stay in touch around the clock. They support each other, sing together, do group songs, maybe even meet from time to time. But it all depends on the specific group. 

You find some of the groups in our Group Directory

mamaflynn

Well, not knowing what the heck I am doing, I auditioned. I thought it was for a group, but apparently now I am in a competition. #wishmeluck 

• like 1

BrainDad
On 25/3/2017 at 2:49 AM, 01_SassyMelissa said:

room size does not mean the actual size of the room where you sing

I'm newbie , but xDxD that much I can get. 

ok, so it is for the vip members effects. Thanks for taking the trouble of explaining it so deeply, I think now everything is understood!!

About groups (and line) ... it sounds to me like a youngster thing. Perhaps a SATB vocal group might suit me.

Thanks again.