Android smule app freezes while reviewing what you sung, just before the last step

BrainDad

Hi, 

This has happened to me quite a lot of times: You sing with the android app, then it's time to review and select effect and volume. After some seconds, sometimes the app freezes. The video freezes at and the audio keeps going.

What freaks me out is that if the audio keeps going till the end if you let it, it means that it's still stored somewhere. I'm not sure if it is still at the phone or if it has gone to the server. Android says the app is not responding and asks if you want to stop it or wait. I tried waiting, but it never recovers.

This issue seems related to data bandwidth, as is happens more frequently:

- When you are on mobile network instead of wifi.

- When you do video instead of audio only.

Does this happen to you? Any hints or tricks on how to avoid it?

• thank you! 1

opentype
42 minutes ago, BrainDad said:

This issue seems related to data bandwidth, as is happens more frequently:

- When you are on mobile network instead of wifi.

- When you do video instead of audio only.

Does this happen to you? Any hints or tricks on how to avoid it?

Yes, I can confirm this on iOS as well. The app uploads and downloads while recording and reviewing and if the connection isn’t good enough to get all data through in time, the app can freeze, close or I am thrown out of the specific song. 

There isn’t really anything we can do other than making sure we are on a good WIFI connection. Smule would need to change this upload/download behaviour, since frankly it isn’t necessary. You record your part locally and the other person’s audio/video just needs to be downloaded once. So in theory, the review screen wouldn’t need any internet connection at all. 

BrainDad

Well maybe developer team is a bit overwhelmed.

This is the kind of bug that is frustrating for the user, as it makes you lose progress already achieved.

• 2 weeks later...
Nomesh De Silva

Hi Guys, 

I also had the same issue and found a work-around posted in the SMULE FB page.

it simply says to change your Wifi connection's DNS settings to below:

DHCP: static (if you have this setting)

DNS1 : 8.8.8.8

DNS2: 8.8.4.4

Then just start the app and see, it should work!!  worked well for me...

BrainDad

I think my wifi DNS is already set to google (that is 8.8.8.8).

It shouldn't have to be related to this, as the DNS work is just to lookup a name in a table , to get its ip address.

It just "translates" for example smule.com to its address that is actually 104.254.204.252

So it either knows the address or doesn't. Maybe if it is VERY slow looking it up, it may affect, but I don't think this is the problem.

I think opentype is right on this issue:

On 20/3/2017 at 0:01 PM, opentype said:

There isn’t really anything we can do other than making sure we are on a good WIFI connection. Smule would need to change this upload/download behaviour, since frankly it isn’t necessary. 

It seems like a programming poor practice, maybe in time they will fix it.

• 2 months later...
BrainDad

Support team has contacted me about the issue, I have tried several things, but it keeps failing. It is not getting any better, sometimes I cannot even finish audio-only OCs.

I just discarded some things: It is not bluetooth related, phone storage memory, wifi, other apps running ... anything I can think of.

I'm running beta test app, hope they find the bug. My smartphone is 3 years old, and got stranded in android kitkat ... but I think it can still yield another year of use.

• 1 month later...
BrainDad

This week it's going worse. I'm not able to record a single video oc, and even some of my audio-only are also crashing!!

Only for smule I've rooted my phone to install one of those unofficial lineageOS ROMS, with the intention that it improves my phone performance.
I hope I won't brick it. Wish me luck!

• 1 year later...
_RamKrish1012

Brian Dad, I too have experienced this Freezing so many time using my iPad. So the Problem is not limited to Androids alone it happens with iOs units too.

I do not think it has to do with your WiFi either as my Mac works perfectly when the recorded son in my iPad Freezes.

This happens to me mostly on Saturdays and Sundays in Sydney Australia and that would be Friday and Saturday in USA.  I an inclined to believe it is the huge Load on Smule App that causes the freeze. During the week the uploads are like Magic. You see it one minute and it is uploaded the next.

Brian Try to remember what time of the day and what day of the week your recordings freeze. I too have seen a video recording without the video but just the audio on replay.I just hit the Continue button and it got uploaded.

Ram

_RamKrish1012

It is Saturday night 1.02 am in Sydney to be precise. I recorded a song and the upload failed. So I sang it again and the upload failed again. Just too much overload on Smule App and Database.

Ram

_RamKrish1012

It is interesting that Smule App does not load on my iPad but loads on My Samsung 7, both using the same WiFi.

BrainDad

Well, my issue was 2017's ... and I'm pretty sure it was due to my smartphone not being good enough for the video and audio requirements of smule.

When I got a new one, everything started to work normally.

_RamKrish1012

Sunday Night and my Upload Bombed again and Smule App is down on my iPad but works on my Samsung using same WiFi.