uploading track (Smule licensing restrictions)

efevgerong

hello everyone..

I'm trying to upload song but keep saying 

"DUE TO LICENSING RESTRICTION,THIS SONG CANNOT BE ADDED TO THE SONGBOOK AT THIS TIME"

Why is this???????? Is anyone knows why????

please answer me ,

thank you

• 2 months later...
ScrewyGirl

I, too, have experienced this issue. My song was "Hurt" by Christina Aguilera, which is already on the Smule App. I even saw it in a lower key (being sung by someone else). All I did was to lower the key. I am wondering how other singers deal with this. 

• 2 months later...
domNDJS_SLSF_TS1

Perhaps change the Title of the song, as in Song Title, Artist then it often asks for Description, Try putting in the description , for eg, David Bowie Full Lyrics, instead of just David Bowie. Just a suggestion but worked for me 

• 2 years later...
inspired_Dev

Interesting, so there has been some work done in the past to prohibit at least some copyrighted content at the time of upload, but it isn't/wasn't resilient enough, as workarounds could be easily found by trial and error.

• 6 months later...
DarkStardust

It's upsetting. Some of my favourite recordings have now been disabled due to this nonsense, and I'm unable to save them anywhere since Smule has now blocked my access to them. I've actually been trying to find a way around this (simply for the purpose of being able to download the recordings onto a local drive for my own enjoyment/posterity), so if anyone has any tips on such I am absolutely keen to hear!

Dean_UK

what’s the point of giving people the chance to upload songs if they just take them down after a few weeks due to copyright ? Now I know people might make their own songs with a guitar for example and upload them there’s that i guess 

3ai6chan3

Has everyone credited the instrumentals and stuff properly?

I've personally never heard of things getting taken down, but usually a lot of the songs credit whoever originally sung the song, who did the instrumentals etc. They don't seem to have been taken down for as long as I've been on Smule.

If they're songs that have already been uploaded by Smule, and there isn't too big of a difference, it's natural for them to take it down. Lesser known songs (or songs that smule probably does not own a license to) don't seem to have this problem, since Smule has not uploaded the songs themselves.

As I tend to listen to Japanese songs, I know that there are many ppl who leave their instrumentals for others to use somewhere if not the description - this is probably due to the 'utaite' (and I guess partially the 'vocaloid') community that has formed tho.

Oh, if it's possible, then I'd also suggest perhaps using sth like audacity to prolong the song at the beginning/end, it'd probably help

Edited by 3ai6chan3
  • like 1

• 2 months later...
Dean_UK

Is there a page somewhere that shows what artists are allowed to be on smule but what ones are not ?? i noticed i try to upload a clash song for example and it won’t let me , yet if you search “the clash “ Smule have uploaded themselves I faught the law , it’s weird this app 

• like 1