Smule: “unable to download song”

Himyarms

Hello all,

I am new to Smule, downloaded the app yesterday for a one week free trial.

I have been able to record one solo song. At the moment it is not possible to do anything as I keep getting the message "unable to download song. Ensure you are connected to a network and try again". The app is on my tablet and I have deleted a lot of pictures and videos from my tablet to find out if memory space might be the problem. That has not helped.

Could you please help me because I cannot find anything about this in the "help" function? Thank you.

Edited by Himyarms

opentype

Are you on a WiFi network or on a cellular connection? Does everything else work properly, like watching YouTube video?

In general with connection issues like that I would restart the device and also wait for a couple of hours and try again. 

Himyarms

I am on a WiFi connection. It looks like everything else is working. Someone advised me to delete the app and to upload it again.

Himyarms

I deleted the app and downloaded it again and now it is working.

• like 1

Himyarms

After singing and saving a few songs I am having the same problem again.

Himyarms

I moved a lot of stuff on my tablet to a sd card I installed on my tablet yesterday but I am still getting the same message.

Himyarms

I downloaded the app Monday a week ago so the free trial must have ended now. I am not going to be a paying member with the problems I have been encountering.

Edited by Himyarms

Himyarms

A few days ago I deleted and uploaded the app again and could sing three more songs before that same message reappeared. So again I am stuck even though there still is free memory space on my tablet.

opentype

You can also try the “Clear Cache” function in the Smule app settings. That should have the same effect as deleting and re-installing the app. 

Himyarms

Do not see the option under settings... In the help function I read something about "gear" but cannot find that either.

dj_songbird

Hello! Brand new to this community, and I think I figured out the problem. I had the same issue for half of my recordings. But if you find that you're consistently getting the 'not valid' error message, you should do the following (I'm downloading on my laptop):

1. Refresh the page/recording, and (this is the most important part) make sure that it starts playing. Sometimes this is the only step you need to do.

2. If it doesn't automatically start playing, hit the play button. It will likely give you a pop up saying it is 'optimizing' the recording.

3. Either wait until it is done or, if you're impatient like me, go to another tab/do something else for a minute and then come back to the page. It should start playing by that point, allowing you to download it. If not, give it some more time.

Every time I've done that, I've been able to download my recordings, even ones from SIX years ago. Hope that helps!

• like 1

opentype
8 hours ago, dj_songbird said:

1. Refresh the page/recording, and (this is the most important part) make sure that it starts playing. Sometimes this is the only step you need to do.

You are absolutely right. Smule recently made some changes so older songs aren’t directly available anymore. 

But I just improved the Download service a little bit, so it doesn’t give the generic error message for these older songs and instead provides a link to regenerate the songs. 

Himyarms

Thank you for your help dj_songbird.

1k0.jpg

I am not certain we are talking about the same problem. This is the message I keep getting. When I hit the ok button I go back to the green screen with the choices: join, duet, group, solo. So there is no possibility to make the song play. I have the tab on my tablet but took the picture with my phone.

Himyarms

How can I unsubscribe from Smule please?