Smule blog: Video LiveJam discontinued

_SingSalon_

Hi Smulers,

Starting April 21st, due to safety concerns and feedback from many of you, LiveJam will become Sing Live and convert to an audio-only experience. We believe that taking this step is the best way to keep the community safe. We did not make this decision lightly. Just like you, we love watching Smulers from all over the world take the mic and sing together as snowmen/women, or under the lights of the disco ball. We made several changes over the past year to address these concerns without having to remove the video function; however, have been unable to find a solution that fully protects the community and allows for a safe and fun environment.

We know you’ll be disappointed in this news but want you to know that we place your safety above all else. Non-live video performances will continue to be available as expected and there isn’t any plan for that to change. We hope you continue to enjoy the experience of singing live together in Sing Live. We’re here if you have any question at [email protected].

With love,
Your Smule Family

FAQ
1. Is the change to LiveJam (removing video) temporary?
At the moment, the change is permanent; however, we may revisit in the future.

2. Is there a way to activate LiveJam video in a private setting or if you have VIP?
Starting 4/21/20, all video will be removed from LiveJam and it will become Sing Live, an audio-only experience.

3. Do I need VIP to start a Sing Live room?
Yes, you need VIP to start a room but just like invites, joining is always free.

View the full article on the Smule blog

_CoachAL_C1A

I only tried Live Jam a few times, had some aggravating experiences and I stopped using it.  It’s a shame we have to cater to the lowest common denominator of society but I totally understand and support this decision. 

Was there ever any consideration of making Live Jam a VIP-only feature?  During my brief use of the it, and In hearing from several who experienced more serious issues than I did, it seemed the culprits were predominantly non-VIPs. 

Coleenemitchell

I do not understand why if it is a private Live Jam we can not retain the video feature. I know there are crazies out there, but my Karaoke people really enjoy seeing each other like they did before this virus. Such a shame! I hope you reconsider.

Guest scrapfree

I never really use the LiveJam feature, I always feel very awkward (which is perhaps more to do with my own insecurities!) and the lag sometimes makes that even worse.

In one sense, it’s good that they’re taking some responsibility. Although it seems like they’re using a sledgehammer to crack a nut! Aren’t there more targeted solutions they could try, like making it VIP only and preventing Underage users?

call me cynical, but something tells me there’s more to it. I’d say they’ve found the uptake of LiveJam fairly disappointing in terms of revenue generation.

bekkib881

it isnt that we are all giving feed back it all of us banning people fro nuditiy and violence when kids jump in  or people that we dont want in there

SailorProudness

Hi,

I understand that for safety reasons, protecting young children and avoiding perverts in LiveJams is your priority, but then why don't you reinforce security rather than depriving so many people of their daily pleasure which is singing live during this period of confinement? 

Many of us have met in real life through LiveJams. most of us have been paying for several years and have always been respectful of each other. 

Edited by SailorProudness
  • like 1
  • love it! 1

_SingSalon_

Hello Smule Community,

As we shared last week, we’ve built a new audio-only version of LiveJam, called Sing Live, that addresses many of the concerns we collectively share. We appreciate all of your passionate and spirited input. All of us care greatly about the Smule community, and our vision of connecting people through music. We know that people across the world have embraced singing amidst the suffering and tragedy – a reflection, perhaps, of our common deep humanity and love for one another.

We have decided to pause the plans to release the audio-only version and will continue to support the current video version while we iterate. If you would like to help beta test a new future version prior to release, please sign up here. We are confident by working together, we can build an even safer and more supportive place for all of us to create music with one another.

Thanks everyone. Keep well.

Smule Community Team

View the full article on the Smule blog

• like 1

Charleh

I'm glad plans to remove video have been stopped for now. There are many measures that could be introduced to address the issues some people experience and concerns about underage users of the app. Off the top of my head: Parental supervision; only allowing 16+/18+ in live jams (a shame as I've met several brilliant young singers but safety concerns come first); live jams for VIP members only; an ability to flag users who use the platform inappropriately -- and if it's a serious offence (indecent exposure), an ability to auto-screenshot as proof, I'm sure it's possible to flag their IP address and block them from creating a new account ... making the app a safer place for all users. 

It doesn't seem right that everyone should lose out because others act irresponsibly. I don't see how livejam could work without video - for a lot of us it's about putting on a show. I'm a pro singer and personally first downloaded Smule to work on my camera shyness + how I present myself visually. I wouldn't disagree if livejam became VIP only as it is very much a premium function. This alone would help reduce the number of issues encountered. 

Thank you for reading + for all that you do, I know Smule makes a huge difference in a lot of people's lives, I've made great friends across the world - cheers!

Edited by Charleh
  • love it! 1
  • thank you! 1

PhoenixTheAnya

I'm going to have to disagree with making LiveJams a VIP only feature as I am a non VIP user (don't worry I'm not one of the pervs that's the cause of this) and we're already severely restricted as to what we can do on the app. I don't know about you but LiveJams have been a highlight of my almost 6 year long Smule experience and if that were taken away completely because a few non VIP's decided to abuse the system that wouldn't be fair to the rest of us who just want to sing live with our friends. I know LiveJams need to be made safer for the younger users on the app so I'm on board with the idea of removing the video feature but suggesting that joining LiveJams should be for VIP's only is a little elitist.

Crazyjster

its not VIPs typically that have abused the system its non-VIPs that make temporary accounts. There is no consequence when they loose that account because its easy to make a new one. What they should do is make live jams invite only for non-VIPs... And those who are reported for inappropriate criminal behavior should have their device banned (yes that get reported) rather than user name. How many phones and tablets can you purchase? PCs are already unusable and even with emulators those can get reported and banned with a device ID rather than screen name.  

berrydeckercaryn

I’m so glad smule saved the live jam I’ve meet awesome people in there they Aldo have a button for people to use which band you from a live jam I use it they can’t get back in .....children shouldn’t be on they should have s separate app which I believe they maybe working on ....smule does hVe protection to use some just Donne no it .....you can also h e a private jM where only your friends can come by in its its a great app take the live WY it’s nothing Caryn

• 3 weeks later...
NeKomugi

I think its better to have the OPTION to turn on/off the camera. It saves everyone honestly 

And also maybe the hosts can have the main option whether they'd like their rooms to be audio only or not (if they don't want everyone in the room to have their cameras on) 

• like 1
  • love it! 1

• 2 months later...
Jasoncoyotee

The only logical serves-all idea here was to keep private videos a function. Sing Live sounds OK and as a paying member I'll admit I've never used Livejam to sing because I'm on Android and singing live sounds like trauma to me. However, I have spent hours in livejam rooms, chatting to friends, watching people joining and chatting. It seems to be the main point of community in the community. I understand preservation of the younger users, but cancelling the feature for all paying users seems rash. Keeping the SingLive option open, could there not be a further option to host private video rooms? That way the camera function is a secondary step and a the host would be able to accept requests to join. Being able to have reviewed the profile first. Instead of the current system where anyone can just jump in and watch anybody. In an age of Zoom it feels very basic. Just a suggestion. That way the above users with their years of community building do not lose out of their fan engagement. Younger users could have the singlive feature as a safeguard. We all could. 

• like 1