Finding/identifying group collabs

WildTiger393

Hi, I just joined Smule yesterday so sorry for the newbie question.

I can see that Smule supports group collabs and have read a bit about this feature (more and more singers can join over time etc). But when looking for a collab using "Join" from the app, how can I identify which invites are for group collabs? It just shows something like "SomeUser sang part 1". This is usually for a duet, so how will it show up when it's a group collab I'm joining?

Also is there a way to search and find group collabs or do people generally find them by accident?

I'm asking mainly because I have read about this group collab feature but haven't actually seen one or tried it in the app and would like to try joining one but can't find any.

I'm a non-VIP member (at the moment) and using the Android version of the app.

• 1 month later...
WildTiger393

No one ever replied but I figured this out myself eventually.

If it's a group collab then it will show up as "USER started a collab" in the app. This is different from "USER sang part 1" (or 2) for duet invites.

If you are in invite search (as opposed to "Join") then it will show as "USER +1 singer" (or 2 or 3 etc) rather than just "USER" if it was a collab.

I haven't found any way to specifically search for collabs other than just going through popular songs until I find one where there is a collab. They are quite rare. I did find however that collabs are comparatively more popular for freestyle rap than other genres, so a search for "freestyle rap" often turns up collabs.

I still haven't figured out how group parts work; one webpage suggested you could type groupparts into the search bar to search for all songs with group parts, but I've yet to find any invite which actually implemented this feature.

opentype
8 minutes ago, WildTiger393 said:

I still haven't figured out how group parts work; 

It’s defined by the person who uploaded the song. After they uploaded they audio and added the lyrics, they have the choice to not set singings parts or to set parts for duets and groups songs. Most songs have at least parts for duets, but Smule will then also auto-generate a group arrangement from that. 

Screenshot 2020-06-07 at 14.50.56.png

WildTiger393
6 hours ago, opentype said:

It’s defined by the person who uploaded the song. After they uploaded they audio and added the lyrics, they have the choice to not set singings parts or to set parts for duets and groups songs. Most songs have at least parts for duets, but Smule will then also auto-generate a group arrangement from that. 

Screenshot 2020-06-07 at 14.50.56.png

Thanks, I think I understand that, but as a user, is there any way to know if a collab I joined is using uploader-selected group parts or auto-generated? And what happens if more than 4 people join a collab where the uploader created group parts for 4 people only?

opentype
10 hours ago, WildTiger393 said:

is there any way to know if a collab I joined is using uploader-selected group parts or auto-generated?

Not that I know of. 

10 hours ago, WildTiger393 said:

And what happens if more than 4 people join a collab where the uploader created group parts for 4 people only?

Normally, the people joining will join one of the 4 parts, so you get multiple people singing the same part. 
But the person uploading the song can also create up to 8 individual parts for more complex arrangements. 

• thank you! 1