tips to learn how to sing?

AntonioCole

hey i've just started to sing more i really like the style of singing that Morrissey has in the smiths, Robert smith from the cure and just other alt rock like softer voices any tips for me i'm a 17 year old male with a pretty deep voice i'm still new so idk if there's anything i should do to sound better or make my voice be able to go higher bc when i try to go higher i can but then i have to yawn after it idk why.

Guest scrapfree

I’m much (much) older than you. I’d say I have a deep voice too but have been trying to up my range a little. I think with practice, I’m able to find the higher notes more easily now. Personally, in the higher range I find my voice is more gravelly which I don’t mind, actually! Adds some character!
So I can only suggest practicing the songs which are a bit out of your comfort zone, but don’t overstrain! 
I should say, I’ve no training so don’t quote me! Lol

jbril73

Singing is mostly about breathing. If you're breathing right, singing will feel effortless. My voice is considered more of a "rock" voice but I like to try to sing anything. I watch a lot of Ken Tamplin's videos - what he teaches makes a lot of sense

AntonioCole

But if you can find a good voice teacher that you like, that is really the best idea. While to a certain degree it's possible to teach yourself, most beginners have a difficult time identifying bad habits or figuring out how to solve problems they encounter. Since it sounds like you don't have a lot of prior music background, it would likely take you a lot of time and effort to learn about all of the issues that could crop up in singing, and train your ear to understand subtle sound clues that indicate problems. A teacher is trained in all of these areas and can help you much more quickly and efficiently.

jbril73
On 3/3/2020 at 4:37 AM, AntonioCole said:

But if you can find a good voice teacher that you like, that is really the best idea. While to a certain degree it's possible to teach yourself, most beginners have a difficult time identifying bad habits or figuring out how to solve problems they encounter. Since it sounds like you don't have a lot of prior music background, it would likely take you a lot of time and effort to learn about all of the issues that could crop up in singing, and train your ear to understand subtle sound clues that indicate problems. A teacher is trained in all of these areas and can help you much more quickly and efficiently.

I agree - best to find a voice teacher if you have the time and the money. I'd rather train or swim and Smule is only something I do twice a week if I'm bored. I can say I have sort of a musical background - I played organ in church from when I was 12 to about 16 years old LOL School choirs and such ... I had an organ teacher and a piano teacher for several years. I sang a lot at home. I believe, like Ken Tamplin, that singing should feel effortless and if your throat starts to hurt or anything starts to hurt, you need to stop

Can I REALLY sing rock or metal? I don't know ... you be the judge :D

https://link.smule.com/rkQAjq3Nx4?channel=Copy-Link&lyricStyle=0

I do love Dio hehe