Song has disappeared from profile

Mplspitbull

I just sang an amazing duet two days ago and now all versions of the song have disappeared from my profile as well as others I have sung with. 

i dang Past The Point Of No Return -Phantom of the Opera as a duet. The woman I joined was incredible and her video was dreamy and staged like phantom would be.  As Christine she was amazing.  So I decided I would sing with her a second time, however this time I wore my phantom mask.  

Maybe we were so good they had to take it down? Haha. I mean I’ve improved but...   I know I’ve got jokes. 

Does anyone know anything about this or have experienced the same thing? 

EBEFBAA0-7B23-4643-B277-90AAAA3D0F16.jpeg

opentype

Songs get taken down for licensing reasons or because the person who uploaded the song left Smule. 

Not much we can do about it. Always download your favorite duets as soon as they published. 

Mplspitbull

I figured as much and I have it downloaded. It’s been on for years and I’ve sung it with many people.  

Thanks. 

• 3 weeks later...
inspired_Dev

Wondering how many songs must've been taken down so far like this! This would have to be user-reported (and few would even notice their past recordings were deleted), since there is no transparency about this on the Smule side of things. Also likely that most songs taken down are from the US and the UK for now. In India, only Ilaiyaraaja has publicly clashed with Smule to remove his songs in 2017: https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/karaoke-app-barred-from-using-ilaiyaraaja-songs/article19754082.ece

The Minty Clinch
On 2/15/2020 at 2:48 PM, Mplspitbull said:

I figured as much and I have it downloaded. It’s been on for years and I’ve sung it with many people.  

Thanks. 

If you want to read some long and dull explanations, read the elephant thread 😂

• 1 month later...
PhoenixTheAnya

That's happened to me too with a lot of songs from Phantom of the Opera and I've actually found a way around this. When you upload a song from Phantom of the Opera or any musical that has been taken down because of licensing to the songbook just give it a new title and artist. Like if you wanted to upload "Burn" from Hamilton, just call it "Eliza's Ballad" and put the artist as Lin Manuel-Miranda or Phillipa Soo  

opentype
10 hours ago, PhoenixTheAnya said:

Like if you wanted to upload "Burn" from Hamilton, just call it "Eliza's Ballad" and put the artist as Lin Manuel-Miranda or Phillipa Soo  

Or we could respect the rights and wishes of the artists/copyright holders and not do that. 

• like 2

The Minty Clinch
51 minutes ago, opentype said:

Or we could respect the rights and wishes of the artists/copyright holders and not do that. 

I certainly agree with this in principle. But you've sung illegal uploads, right? If you haven't, I respect that. I'm guilty of it I admit.