Elephant in the room: 99.5% of all tracks on Smule are illegal!

AlaCorey

I am a huge fan of this conversation.  Thank You for educating me.  I will continue to observe this thread and do my own research on the topic and Smule’s problems.  I understand the ethical issues and would love to be on the forefront of proper copyright use and perhaps change to laws that would allow uninterrupted creative expression while still compensating the creators.

Does Smule hold an ASCAP license?  Wouldn’t that be sufficient for a large majority of user-uploaded content? 

Creators are angry they aren’t compensated by Smule and are not receiving a piece of the 2-million monthly membership pie.  Would they not be receiving income through ASCAP or BMG, etc? 

I used to help run a community theatre and we would pay ASCAP quarterly for the ability to play music and performance cabarets of various musicals and pop songs. Not much wasnt listed in their catalog.   

I saw you mention that Smule admitted to licensing some un-official Tracks uploaded by users.  Would that be through a blanket publishing rights house? 

• like 1

berrydeckercaryn

Smule is an awesome app they have live jams and show you how to do it ....it’s got protection on every live jam and they are easy to get around please leave smule alone