Has anyone tried using Apple AirPods Pro with Smule?

Affinity86

Hi everyone, first post here. I’d like to know if the Apple AirPods Pro work with Smule on iOS. 
Mainly, I am curious about the recording quality, as I know traditionally Smule hasn’t supported Bluetooth recording, however these new AirPods pro have the new H1 chip onboard, which apparently decreases the latency (lag) by ~30%.

Along with the dual beam forming microphones, it would seem to me that the AirPods pro would be an excellent product for Smule, as it would allow me to be free of wires finally!

please, if anyone can share their experience, or if anyone owns a pair of AirPods pro and wouldn’t mind doing a quick test for me, to just let me know whether they work well with Smule and if the recording quality is better or worse than the regular wired Apple EarPods that I’m currently using.

thank you all so much!

• like 1

• 5 months later...

Yes I have tried . The recording quality is good and no latency at all . However, while recording with Airpods, I can hear only the tracks and I can not hear my own vocals through the Airpod's speakers . Hence , it gets difficult to match the vocal pitch with the track sometimes.  Can any one throw some more light on this subject ? 

• 1 year later...

As I have tried almost 100's of headphones in the last 5 years I have been using for Smule, I have been waiting for a bluetooth device that works with Smule. I tried all bluetooth headphones still the problem is Smule records the sorrounding noise higher than our own vocals. I thought Airpods should be the way to go. Looks like it doesn't work well based on Mitesh response above. Thanks Mitesh for sharing your experience, i was about to get one Airdpods. I may have to rethink now. 

• 2 weeks later...

I must have gotten lucky. My AirPod Pros work well with Smule. You have to remember to adjust the delay settings before saving, and the app recognizes the pods so the menu will pop up to remind so you can adjust. Sorry they didn’t work out for some of you. 

• like 1

• 7 months later...

Sadly, Bluetooth was not designed for live sound. Apple Airpods Pro or any other bluetooth mic, Smule or any other app, is never a good choice for recording.

That being said, you can record a song with Apple Airpods Pro and Smule will allow you to adjust the lag after your recording is done to get an acceptable recording. However, you will not be able to hear your own voice in the headphone while you're singing. In-ear monitoring while singing is just not possible with Bluetooth, due to the laws of physics.

You might sometimes see professional singers use analog wireless microphones (no wires visible from their mic), but that is a different technology. Even that technology has latency (lag), but it is far better than a digital wireless technology like Bluetooth. The reasons for this requires more technical details than you will want to read (and I will want to type😁)

For live singing and in-ear monitoring you will always be better served with a simple wired microphone, or an audio interface if you want to spend more for better quality.

People who use Apple’s headphones with cables will usually push the microphone forward with their hand to improve the audio quality. It just sounds better when the sound can directly hit the microphone and doesn’t have to bounce around the room to reach the microphone. With AirPods in one’s ears, this trick isn’t possible and so the sound is significantly worse. I wouldn’t recommend using them for Smule. 

• like 1

Follow me on Smule: https://smule.com/opentype 

5 hours ago, opentype said:

It just sounds better when the sound can directly hit the microphone and doesn’t have to bounce around the room to reach the microphone. With AirPods in one’s ears, this trick isn’t possible and so the sound is significantly worse. I wouldn’t recommend using them for Smule. 

True, I never liked how I sound on an AirPod recording, this could be why.