Stopping Smule From Moving Vocal Levels Forward And Back In Group Songs?

LouisPowerslaves

I'm trying to do a group song of just myself with a lot of parts and harmonies. I spend a good amount of time adjusting volume levels so that main lines are up front and background is where it is supposed to be, but by the time I get all the parts put in with recording in video format, Smule automatically starts moving parts forward and backwards, often keeping my main line behind or next to the background vocals and everything gets messed up. Is there a way to record a group video without having Smule move all the parts around and messing with the volumes?

opentype

Probably because the priority is ease of use for actual group collaborations. 

By the way: they actually improved this already. When group video songs were first introduced, Smule took over the track volume completely and the automatic panning was extreme. At least in comparison to that, it works quite good now. 

LouisPowerslaves

I was doing this to construct a group collaboration. In the end, it won't work for the same reasons. Guess I'll just throw a "don't do that option" in recommendations for future upgrades. Would just be nice to have the option sometime in the future. Thanks for your input. 

TLP

There are times where this panning is really cool like when you hear the right person in the right ear and the left person in the left, etc...but yeah, when it's not desired, it can be trippy and not so great. What if your background vocals were off video and then on video just do some really low (like negligible) BGVs so then your main will always shine? Just shooting ideas. 

• like 1

TLP

I haven’t formally tested but I would assume so because the moving around of the sound corresponds to the videos moving on the screen. I would only do it with background vocals though because usually the acoustics of an audio-only layer over a video is usually busted sounding. 

Edited by TLP
Clarity