Using smule with external interface

pishi_chitai

Hello, smule lovers!

I think I'm missing something here. I play with Smule and different devices a lot. My latest setup is: android phone with usb type-c port only, behringer UMC404HD external audio interface plugged into phone via usb female - usb type-c OTG converter, condenser mic (behringer B-1).

Suprisingly to me, this setup really works both ways. You can hear what's going on via audio interface as well as use its inputs for mic.

There are, although, two issues:

1) Signal level (audio wavelength pic, that's shown in Smule app after you record a song) is almost zero. In the same time you can hear yourself alright. Is it always an issue when using external audio interfaces?

2) Loud sounds seem to be overcompressed or something like that. While quiet sounds seems to be ok. Gain is OK, I see no clipping on audio interface, but something definitely happens on Smule app processing level. Maybe it's somehow connected with issue #1.

Could you spare a couple of thoughts on these? 

Thank you!

opentype
17 minutes ago, pishi_chitai said:

Suprisingly to me, this setup really works both ways. You can hear what's going on via audio interface as well as use its inputs for mic.

Thanks for reporting. Certainly interesting. We are always looking for reports about 3rd-party hardware that works with the specific requirements of Smule. 

There are, although, two issues:

1) Signal level (audio wavelength pic, that's shown in Smule app after you record a song) is almost zero. In the same time you can hear yourself alright. Is it always an issue when using external audio interfaces?

No. It should look like a proper waveform or the signal is too weak. 

IMG_1410.jpg

The Smule app does indeed applies audio filters like compression and noise gate to the signal, so if the signal is too weak, it might lead to unwanted results. 

_Ram Krish 1012

Browsed through Product Info as well as Feedback from Customers. Believe this is an interface for Computers like many others but not for Mobile Phones. This is my Opinion but I could be wrong.

Suggest you use a tape to mask the Mob Phone Microphone to see if this makes the recording worse. My reading is that whatever gets recorded is what is picked up by the Mob Phones Built in Microphones.

But then I could be wrong.

So far to my knowledge only IK Medias iRig Products are true Mobile Phone interfaces

pishi_chitai
On 1/12/2020 at 8:11 PM, opentype said:

No. It should look like a proper waveform or the signal is too weak. 

.-( Will continue to research it futher. When you use external audio interface, signal is actually digital, maybe there're issues with this. But when I tried to use analog signal (from direct monitoring output, using audio splitter) it was the same - very low level in app. Strange. Thank you for response!

15 hours ago, _Ram Krish 1012 said:

Suggest you use a tape to mask the Mob Phone Microphone to see if this makes the recording worse

It was my first idea, yup .-) No, the signal goes straight from audio interface, no internal mic involved.

If it's OK to post it here - here's an example 

https://www.smule.com/recording/can-you-feel-the-can-you-feel-the-love-tonight/1717186811_3350913437

opentype
6 hours ago, pishi_chitai said:

But when I tried to use analog signal (from direct monitoring output, using audio splitter) it was the same - very low level in app. Strange. 

That actually supports the suggestion that the signal is already too low on the side of the audio interface. 

If it's OK to post it here - here's an example 

My feedback here – based on the sound – would be that you are too far away from the microphone. It picks up a lot of reflections from the room, giving it an unnecessary tinny sound. 

• 3 months later...
라욘리

Hi!

I have a similar question so I am posting here. I have a friend who purchased Skarlett Solo as it worked perfectly for my IOS devices. However, she has an Android device.

Her set-up : Electronic keyboard - Scarlett interface - USB-C OTG adapter cable - Samsung A5 phone

1st case : If she connects her headphone into Scarlett's monitor input, she is not able save after singing or playing. Only option given to her by Smule is "sing again"

2nd case : If she does not connect her headphone into Scarlett, but connect to her phone's 3.5 mm input, she is able to save, but there is massive background noise in the recording. She tried those voice recorder app on her android phone, and it records perfectly fine without any noise. So we suspect it is a Smule issue.

I feel terrible recommending that product to her, and it is not working for her. Can you guys shine some lights on this issue?

Thanks!

Ryan

harshad911

for case 2 , are you using headphone with inline mic ? If so , this will be your problem . for that I used short 3.5mm stereo male/female audio extension cable. which eliminates headphone mic....I monitor Smule audio from my iOS (iPad Pro) 3.5mm. while recording. My external Microphone interface to iPad lighting connector. You can try this for your setup with Android device.... Good Luck

• 1 year later...
Shashhh

Could I get some help in setting up focusrite solo 3rd gen for my iPad Pro to sing on smule. Your help is highly appreciated 

harshad911

Hello , I think it is very simple connect usb c cable to iPad Pro and focusrite interface using any xlr microphone open SmuleSing app. Set the mic gain and start recording. Monitor with headphone from interface....Pls find the info I have copied from the manufacturer 

"Scarlett Solo is officially supported in use with USB-C iPad Pros. Setup and operation is simple: just plug in, fire up your favourite music-making app, and enjoy the Focusrite sound wherever you go. Scarlett Solo has been tested extensively with Garageband, Cubasis 2, Auria Pro, Ampify Launchpad, Ampify Groovebox and Ampify Blocs Wave, as well as FL Studio. Now you can record anywhere, really."

Shashhh

No buddy it is not working. I tried using camera adapter with usb c as well like someone mentioned in the thread…looks like it works only those iPads with lightening cable with the help of camera adapter and not USB c adapters

• 3 weeks later...
LouELVIS

I just use the I rig mic pre the original 9v one with my LG V60 and have no problem recording and can use external effects