Record Keyboard and Sing Simultaneously

AprilPM

Hi. I am new to Smule, and was wondering if it possible to record a keyboard and sing at the same time? Is there a way to input an instrument directly into the app, or is the only way to record instrument sound through the same mic you sing into? I'd like to record 2 inputs into the freestyle module, an instrument and microphone.

Thanks in advance, I searched but couldn't find anything definitive.

April

opentype

There is probably no easy/cheap solution. You would need a mixer and an audio interface.Ā 

Alternatively, maybe you can record in some other way (e.g. on a PC) and then upload the MP3 to the songbook from the Smule website? Would that help? Iā€™ve done that myself one time when I wanted to have an acoustic version basically just for my own use.Ā Ā 

AprilPM

Hi Open Type,

Thanks for your reply. I actually have a Scarlett 2i2 audio interface and a Neumann TLM103 condenser mic. The keyboard I have is a Yamaha MOXF 8. Would those items allĀ work?Ā 

What kind of mixer would I need? And what would setting it all up entail? My mind only goes so far when it comes to getting creative with audio equipment, and then it fries out. LOL

Thank you in advance!

AprilĀ 

opentype

I think the Scarlett could mix at least a mono signal from the keyboard and a microphone. What device are you running Smule on? iPhone? iPad? Android device?

opentype

Here is an example using the interface with two different microphones and a phone.Ā 

One thing I probably wouldnā€™t like about this solution is the stereo panorama. You will only have two mono channels and no control over the panning and no stereo sound, e.g. for the keyboard. But at least you could use the existing interface.Ā 

Otherwise, you could look for a mixer with at least 4 channelsĀ on Amazon or in a local store. There should be plenty of options. You would just need to make sure it has the inputs you need for you devices. The connection to the phone is basically the same as in the video above.Ā 

Ā 

AprilPM

Hello. I swear I searched all over YouTube and thought I had uncovered just about every video on the topic out there, but I hadn't seen these 2. LOL!Ā Thank you for finding them.Ā 

So with Smule in Freestyle mode, it would be able to recognize both inputs from my Scarlett?

I am going to give it a go! Thank you, you have been super helpful. I prefer singing to music I am actually playing live as opposed to a backing track, so this will be great if I can get it to work.

ė¼ģš˜ė¦¬

Ā 

On 12/19/2019 at 8:34 AM, AprilPM said:

Hello. I swear I searched all over YouTube and thought I had uncovered just about every video on the topic out there, but I hadn't seen these 2. LOL!Ā Thank you for finding them.Ā 

So with Smule in Freestyle mode, it would be able to recognize both inputs from my Scarlett?

I am going to give it a go! Thank you, you have been super helpful. I prefer singing to music I am actually playing live as opposed to a backing track, so this will be great if I can get it to work.

Hi!

Please let me know how it works.Ā 

My intention is to use an electronic drum set and an interface that can be connected to my iPhone X. Would like to try to play a song with different instrument from different users.Ā 

Thanks!

Ryan

AprilPM

Hi Ryan,

I have not actually tried it yet, as I do not have the right connectors needed to hook everything up. One thing needed is a Lightning to USB connector. It is recommended that you actually get the APPLE brand. I got a knock off, and the thing heated up so much it stopped working. However, when I went looking for the APPLE brand at BEST Buy, the salesperson who was helping me told me it is not a good idea to hook an audio interface made for a computer (like my scarlett 2i2) into an iphone or ipad because I could ruin my device. He said even with the connector plugged into a wall outlet, the scarlet requires too much power and could short out my phone.So I am stumped, because I saw lots of YouTube videos with people using this set up and no one said their phones were damaged. He recommended I get an interface made for ios like the iRig, but the iRig only has 1 input, so I am not sure how I would get my instrument and my voice to come in at the same time.Ā 

If anyone has any input on this issue, I would appreciate it, I certainly can't afford to blow out my phone.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

ė¼ģš˜ė¦¬

April,Ā 

Thanks for the quick feedback.Ā 

1. Regards to powering Scarlett, if I remember correctly from my research, you have other power options such as USB adapter or even DC power.Ā 

2. I did look into iRig, and yes, I am also in the same situation as I need two channel. I found below product from the same company. It is pretty expensive.Ā 

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigproduo/?pkey=irig-pro-duo

Ā 

At the end of the day, I am looking for a solution that will not create any delay between me playing and what's being recorded on Smule. Although a short research, I have not been able to find enough information to confirm me a purchase.Ā 

AprilPM

Yes, me too. It's not an easy solution to find. As far as my Scarlett goes, the only power supply port it has is the USB port, and that will need to go into that APPLE Usb to lightning adapter, so I wouldn't be able to power it any other way while using it with my phone. Unless I am missing something.Ā 

That iRig Duo seems to be the closest thing I have seen to something that is actually made for this purpose. And it is expensive! If anyone know of any other interface with more than one input that is made for phone and ipad, please chime in.Ā 

Ā 

TIA!

ė¼ģš˜ė¦¬
On 12/18/2019 at 1:13 PM, opentype said:

There is probably no easy/cheap solution. You would need a mixer and an audio interface.Ā 

Alternatively, maybe you can record in some other way (e.g. on a PC) and then upload the MP3 to the songbook from the Smule website? Would that help? Iā€™ve done that myself one time when I wanted to have an acoustic version basically just for my own use.Ā Ā 

Mr. Opentype,Ā 

Thanks for all your feedback. Been reading a lot of your comments.Ā 

I am in the same situation as April, as I am also in need to simultaneously using two channels(electronic drum/bass + condenser mic) for smule. I was looking at below iRig (2 channels) or a dedicated mixer.Ā 

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigproduo/?pkey=irig-pro-duo

My biggest question would be, will there be any latency issues when playing along other members on smule, whether in live or in recording.Ā 

I am not a tech guy, so please forgive me if my explanation does not make sense.Ā 

Thanks.Ā 

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
ė¼ģš˜ė¦¬

Hello everyone, long time.Ā 

I finally was able to makeĀ a set-up that works perfectly for my needs.Ā 

Instruments/Microphone - Mixer - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen - Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter - Ipad

1. I think the key here is Scarlett and the usb adapter. Most of these 2 or less channel audio interfaces does not provide separate charging port, so the USB 3 Camera Adapter is a must.Ā 

2. I've seen Android user trying to set up as the same, but does not work as well. Mostly due to the Android device giving the "headphone required" message.Ā 

3.Ā For someone who wants to do just two things at the same time, such as a guitar and microphone, you do not need a mixer. I set it up so that I can do more instruments at the same time.Ā 

Ā 

Thanks!

Ryan

• 1 year later...
Priyaaa
On 4/21/2020 at 4:28 AM, ė¼ģš˜ė¦¬ said:

Hello everyone, long time.Ā 

I finally was able to makeĀ a set-up that works perfectly for my needs.Ā 

Instruments/Microphone - Mixer - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen - Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter - Ipad

1. I think the key here is Scarlett and the usb adapter. Most of these 2 or less channel audio interfaces does not provide separate charging port, so the USB 3 Camera Adapter is a must.Ā 

2. I've seen Android user trying to set up as the same, but does not work as well. Mostly due to the Android device giving the "headphone required" message.Ā 

3.Ā For someone who wants to do just two things at the same time, such as a guitar and microphone, you do not need a mixer. I set it up so that I can do more instruments at the same time.Ā 

Ā 

Thanks!

Ryan

Hello Ryan,

I understand that this is an old post, but I've been trying a similar setup with Focusrite 2i2 3rd gen + a keyboard and microphone, but having some trouble.

I am using a externally powered USB hub to power the Focusrite and an Apple Lightning Camera adapter to connect the USB-hub to my iPhone.Ā The setup works, except that I can't get the Channel 2 output recorded to Smule. Channel 1 gets recorded perfectly though.

I have checked the setup with Garageband and both channels get recorded, so there must be some reason why Smule is not recognizing Channel 2.

Can you please throw some light on this?

Thanks,

Priya